CHEATING ON FIELD SERVICE

by chuckyy 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

I always pretended to knock, unless having the bad luck to have Mom or Dad with me. Towards the end of the line for me, when I was working and putting my plans together secretly to get an apartment and move out, a "crisis" developed in my parents view. it was Sunday afternoon, cold and gloomy and they had just realized I hadn't gone in service at all that month! I had to turn in my slip with something on it, or what would be said if (gasp) the elder's own daughter was inactive?? In a frenzy, the drove to a couple of laundromats and had me dash in and dump a stack of old magazines on the counter. Now I could count an hour of field service, and I was "O.K." again for another month of good standing.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Well I certainly padded my hours. Is that considered cheating? If so....guilty as charged!

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

I tried to be right about it, I thought we were "allowed" to use some of the aforementioned procedures...it was the counting of time that first got me thinking, WWJD! It seemed too contrived. Then it progressed to trying to move Watchtower and Awakes, so I would knock on the doors, read a scripture and wish them a good day...it felt right.

• Breakfast at Cranberrys
    Breakfast at Cranberrys

When I was pioneering, I had a friend who was a pioneer who lived out in the country, about an hour from me. I would hit a gas station on the way down, count all the time, then we'd hop into his 4x4 and head into 'seldom-worked territory,' which just meant lots of dirt roads and very few houses (mostly farms and trailers, actually). We would pass the time playing cards. Blackjack mostly. Sometimes we'd pick up a buddy of his and play poker. In fact, I first learned how to play texas hold 'em out in service! We never played for money, of course. But still. Some kinda 'sacred service,' eh?

Once I got to crooklyn bethel, that's when the flat-out lying started. It was such a big deal to get your '10' in. I know I wasn't the only one. Man, there was only so much time. The best I did most months was an hour, hour-and-a-half tops, each weekend. After I got jammed a couple times by our 'Bethel elder,' that suddenly morphed into 10 hours each month. Magic! ;-)

P.S. I'm new here (duh. Newbie). Enjoying the site. Love how active the board is. I can't keep up!

• hideme
    hideme

Oh...I seem to be the only one who's cheating the other way around????

My problem is NOT fieldservice: I will go and talk to the housekeepers about the bible. I don't offer them any WTBTS litterature. :)

But I hate it that WTBTS REQUIRES a report on my hours. So in fact - I want to do the preaching, because Jesus said so, but I don't want to fill in any report for an organisation.

Because my husband is afraid the elders will come after me (again LOL) when I don't write down my hours I decided to fill in only 1 hour every month. No litterature, no returnvisits. I don't like them to know anything.

Now the funny thing is: this saturday I went out for service and returnvisits with my bookstudy-overseer and his wife. We "did" two hours. I want to see the look on his face when he will read my 'report" end of the month. One hour? That's impossible?! :)

• Gill
    Gill

I was 'The Silent Doorknocker'!

I would NEVER report on study (indoctrinating brainwashin) with the children as I felt it was none of the Elders business even though they tried to make it their business!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

with my back then girlfriend we just took walks around the territory, because someone told us that "even our presence is a good witness". we were simply present.. lol

additionally, all my reports (and all other reports in my congregation) were always faked.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I didn't cheat until I became a regular pioneer, then the other pioneers in the cong taught me how to be "creative" with my service report, like offerring a passer by a tract as soon as I left my house on the way to the field service meeting meant I could count all the time from then on. I soon got the hang of it

• joelbear
    joelbear

toward the end of my witness career, it all seemed so pointless that I just didn't hand in my time. to actually be going door to door and talking to people 90 hours a month as a pioneer would have been exhausting. i always thought time was irrelevant. the only thing i thought was really productive was bible studies, so i spent my energy on that.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Yes I have done that numerous times, but instead of going home we'd go to breakfast or the mall..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit