CHEATING ON FIELD SERVICE

by chuckyy 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• Periodic Bedlam
    Periodic Bedlam

Early on it never entered my mind to cheat. Then later when I started pioneering there seemed to be easy ways to get my time in by "padding". Toward the end of my 10 years of regular pioneering I started to suffer from major burn out. Then I did start adding lots of hours on my time slip at the end of the month just so I would make my 90. Shortly after that I quit all together. I quit pioneering and going to meetings at the same time basically. But some of the ways of padding time were:

1) Drop a tract off someplace (could even be the handle of the gas nozzle when I filled up my car) and drive 45 minutes to the territory (when I pioneered where the need was greater in the rural NC mountains) and count all of that time. Do the same thing after driving back and count that driving time as well.

2) Get up really early and put tracts in all the doors to stores in strip malls or shopping centers. Walk very slowly between stores. Kill time. Drop off tracts or old magazines at bus stops, gas stations, laundry matts, hospital lobbies, etc. No need to talk to anyone. Do this from 6 am to 9 am and get a good jump on your time for the day. You can place stacks of old magazines this way. You could actually put 100 or more under the magazine column when you turn in your time at the end of the month. Then you can be on lots of meeting parts as an example for high magazine placement. Never mind that you only order 5 in your monthly counter order.

3) When you go out to eat at a restaurant (any time or place), just leave a tract or magazine on the table with your tip. If you spent an hour eating you can count that as time.

4) If you are talking to anyone worldly on the phone (relatives, friends, telemarketer, etc. ) just mention in passing what you did that week (meeting, assembly, read the Bible) and count an hour for that conversation. Maybe even a return visit.

5) Sit around the table eating popcorn, having coffee and dessert, or listening to gossip. Make 1 call every 15 minutes for telephone territory. Make 10 calls all morning and count 3-4 hours of time.

6) Pick up someone who isn't baptized and drive them to the meeting or assembly. Count that as time. If they sit next to you at the meeting and you help them look up scriptures in the bible or clarify some point in the WT, count the time you are at the meeting as service time. If you have a part on the meeting or assembly, count that time as well (no wonder the elders could make the national average...they gave talks, conducted the WT or bookstudy).

7) Count at least an hour a week for your famiy study even if you don't have it. And don't forget to turn in the bible study slip for it.

8) Count the time driving to the KH to meet for service by leaving a tract for you mail carrier in your mailbox. This is especially helpful if you have a long drive to the KH (miles or time) because it works if you live in the country or the city. Then only subtract 15 minutes for the meeting for service (but if you have anyone unbaptized with you, count the meeting for service).

9) When you fly anywhere, leave literature in the magazine pouch of the seat in front of you. Count the time you spend flying as time. Leave magazines in the waiting areas by the flight gates. 2 hour flight, 2 hours at the airport = 4 hours time and lots of magazines

10) Get creative: leave a tract at your doctor's or dentist's office when you go and count the time you are there as service time, leave a tract at the movie theater and count the time there as service, leave a tract at the gym and count your work out time...let your conscience be your guide but the sky is the limit...

• JH
    JH

The fact that many cheat just proves how wrong their system of collecting time sheets is !!!

Could you imagine Jesus giving in his time slip?

• carla
    carla

I learn so much from you guys! New and creative places to leave my anti-witness literature!

• Shania
    Shania

We would say we will work this street here, you can work the next street, we will meet you when we are done.................then we would walk slow up and down the street, not doing any houses, my hubby would say it's a nice day for a walk, let's not bug people today, I would say it works for me..............thats why I liked working with him...........

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

I was a bit different, I always tried to "maximize" my time...

I was the kind of pioneer who would get out of the car and talk to people walking along the street while others were at a return visit. Although I had some good pioneer friends, I think some of the other pioneers resented me a bit b/c they felt I was trying to "show them up" or act overly righteous. Even though I was sincere in wanting to "witness" at the time, I was also trying to show off. I used my cellphone alot to make return visits and talked to people informally quite a bit too. Some of the months I pioneered, along with my 70 hours, I placed up to 100 magazines, had upwards of 200 return visits counted, and 20 bible studies was my most in 1 month. All the numbers were real, I counted carefully, never exaggerating. It's amazing what you can do if you really do make use of your time when make the effort. Plus the fact that the territory I worked in was very productive compared with most in North America. But as I say, one of main motives was "showing off", not sincerely helping others. No wonder I liked turning in my time slip each month...lol

toronto_guy

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Nah, I was always honest enough to admit how much time I had spent in service. This admission came via my persistent failure to turn in a time slip. Wouldn't have made much sense to fill one in with a bunch of zeros. LOL

When I was in the process of exiting I got a phone call from a bro and in the course of the conversation I expressed some of my frustration with JWism, one of the frustrations being the field service time tracking. He said "you know, you don't have to turn in time if you don't want to." Yah, whatever...

• aniron
    aniron

I think many of the things mentioned above are very common everywhere. When having met other exJW's and they say what they did on field service it always bring the the reply "I did that as well"

When a Min Servant I used to help the Service Overseer and often would see report slips. I would see the report from some brothers/sisters and think how did they do that many hours, I only saw them out a couple of times. One MS assigned to a distant group, would speak to someone in his street, drive the 20 mins to the territory, do 20 mins door to door then go, drive 20 mins back home speak to someone in his street and count an hours service.

Often I would hear the Service Overseer when it was time for reports to go in. Say to usually elderly sisters, who had forgotten to put one in, to "Just stick a couple of hours down. So we don't take it your inactive."

I've watched JW's in my street work their way up the opposite side to mine. About 40-50 houses and make it last an hour. Stand on corner talking. Go to first house. Knock on door (gently) stand talking, leave door, stand at gate spending 2-3 minutes writing it down as a "not at home" go to next house, repeat. Get to end of road stand talking. Look at watch. "Hey we done our hour, lets go for a coffee." Walk off, looking a lot happier than they did before.

As someone said , just how accurate is the yearly report.

• bledback2life
    bledback2life

I'm not surprised if this is a widespread occurrence, considering the WTBTS's constant instilling in the minds of everyone to 'put in the hours'. At times it seems little more than a drive to have statistical proof that 'headway' is being made in the business of preaching.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

REMEMBER, WHEN PIONEERING, ANYTHING OVER 40 HOURS CAN BE COUNTED 'TIME AND A HALF'! AND EVEN THE 'WORLD' PAYS YOU FOR COFFEE BREAKS. COULD WE EXPECT ANYTHING LESS FROM GOD'S ORGANIZATION?

OUTASERVICE (150 HR. A MONTH PIONEER)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

HAVE ANY OF YOU DONE SIMILAR THINGS OR CHEATED ON FIELD SERVICE????

OH YES AND DO YOU KNOW -- IT FELT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit