CHEATING ON FIELD SERVICE

by chuckyy 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

HI

Towards the end of my time as a JW, i must confess to cheating whilst out on field service.

1. I would turn up at the field service arrangement with my wife, and we would say that we were working together that day to do return visits. As everyone went out, we would simply get into our car and drive home.(hypocritical i know)

2. When there were odd numbers at the field arrangement, i would volunteer to go out on my own. At each house, i would very quietly knock the door, hardly making a sound. (I was a coward too)

HAVE ANY OF YOU DONE SIMILAR THINGS OR CHEATED ON FIELD SERVICE????

Chukyy

• Jordan
    Jordan

Can't forget the old, standing around at the bottom of someone's path talking for half an hour to each other and adding that to your time spent on the ministry, that was a classic, everyone enjoyed.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

how about....pdk....pretend door knockers....

lisa

• Jordan
    Jordan

And when you get someone weak enough to offer you a cup of tea, you take it and spend the rest of the afternoon there, clocking up ministry time, when actually you talk about the bible only for about 15 minutes... That was a favourite of mine. I liked to try and get a return visit that I could count on to take up some time for me... Some of the cups of tea were pretty damn good.

• luna2
    luna2
    Jordan said: I liked to try and get a return visit that I could count on the take up some time for me

It just occurred to me that the pioneer sis I used to go out with many Tuesdays had several return visits like this...unproductive time wasters. We never spent hours at any of these calls, but I think we were able to waste a good half hour to 45 minutes at least. I just accepted that she was a kind person who thought that maybe these people, who'd spend most of the time talking about their hobbies or their favorite radio program about UFO's, would some day decide they wanted a Bible study. LMAO! I was so clueless.

Of course, what was this poor sister to do? By the time we started this Tues. service arrangement, I was pretty much dead weight. I contributed almost nothing. I didn't keep good records, so I very seldom had even a return visit to throw into the pot. Poor sister was dragging me behind her like a ball and chain now that I think of it. What a stupendous waste of time it all was.

• freedom96
    freedom96

A friend of mine was aux-pioneering the summer month when we were 17 and his parents were out on a month long trip across the US. I would hang out with him real late most nights, and there were a few times that we would wake up just in time for the meeting for field service at his house, and when everyone left with their assignments, we would simply go back to sleep.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

There have been threads on this topic in the past where many admitted to doing this. Gina's mother always told her that when you write a letter, you count an hour. Never mind that it's to your grandmother, you only cite a single scripture, and it actually only took you 15 minutes. 1 letter = 1 hour.

There's a very amusing book that suggests anyone can be an elder. One of the "tricks of the trade" is lying about field service. It also mentions your "show up, say you have a bible study, leave and go home" trick. Worth reading if you can find it: "From Publisher to Elder in Six Months"

I didn't THINK I cheated on my time until I started reading this thread. I sure did chitchat, I sure hoped to be loaded into a 7-person car group to do rural territory (where you preach 5 minutes out of every hour), I took coffee breaks, I delighted in return visits on opposite ends of the territory. So yeah, I cheated my sincere little a$$ off.

Almost makes me wanna go back just to see how far I could go gaming the system like this! (but... not quite. :-) )

All this raises the question: How much of their much-ballyhooed "billion hours of preaching" is actually spent talking to a non-JW? 5%? 10%?

Dave

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

I stopped going out around the time I was shown by a pioneer how to "maximize" my time.

• JH
    JH

I didn't cheat when I was able to do atleast 10 hours a month. But when I went out in the service just once a month and did only 2 hours in the service, I added more hours to my report, so that the elders wouldn't make a fuss about doing too little. Ohterwise I wouldn't have added anything.

• zeroday
    zeroday

What one would consider cheating others would consider standard operating procedure. I can't tell you how many times I would be in a car group heading out from the hall to rural territory. Usually an elder would say something like, "I have an RV around the corner that we can start our time with. No one blinked an eye. Then you would be out in the rural territory and someone would have another RV. Two would go inside and spend an hour or so while the other 4 of us would sit in the car racking up time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit