Current Bethel Requirements?

by caligirl 22 Replies latest jw friends

• caligirl
    caligirl

We jsut found out that my step son is planning to apply to Bethel when he turns 19. Does anyone know what they currently require, what the current "salary" is, amount of time off per year, etc? Thanks. He hasn't turned 18 yet, but is already regular pioneering so he can qualify. We are just curious. He is really into his recreation, music, video games, etc. and we want to know what the deal really is so that maybe we can gently point out that he will have little or no time for anything that he enjoys.

• steve2
    steve2

Just one main requirement: Keep everything, including your mind, totally buttoned down .

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Bethel requires that a brother or sister has been baptized for at least one year. Preference is given to those who are regular pioneers, as these ones are already in full time service.

Stipend of about $110 is received monthly, plus a clothing allowance.

Saturday work is mandatory, for about half a day.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Just one main requirement: Keep everything, including your mind, totally buttoned down

LOL!

Baptized and breathing are requirements too.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Massive amounts of field service time, and a "yes brother sir" military attitude towards the elders. Just tell him to watch military films depicting boot camps and to pretend he is the new recruit. Boot camp is bethel, and he is expected to display complete obedience to his superiors. If he can handle that, he will go far at bethel.

• loosie
    loosie

Talk about funny ads:

Why is this ad Should gays marry show up at the bottom of this thread

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

At least with military training you a physical excercise regimine and you get to shoot firearms.

• thom
    thom

loosie, that ad is the only ad I've been seeing on here at all for the past few days, regardless of the page content.

• karly
    karly

I was just watching a show about a prison yesterday. The narrator talked about how they decided meals would only be twenty minutes long for control purposes. Reminded me of Bethel. If I remember right, meals are only twenty minutes and then you have to report back to work. The head of table passes the food around and you are supposed to take 1/10 of the food and pass it on. There is assigned seating.

You are not assigned to the Bethel Kingdom Hall but will be assigned to halls all over the place and must arrange transportation to get to these meetings even though you have been working all day.

Bethel workers work on Saturdays although I think females get some Saturdays off. Sundays are the only day off and you are expected to go to the meeting where you are assigned and also participate in field service.

Monday nights are the Bethel Family WT review. Only brothers are allowed to make comments at this meeting.

New Bethelites have to attend orientation classes for a year and are required to read the Bible all the way through that year.

There may have been some changes, though.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You must give up all control and privacy of your own life. These things will no longer exist. You will be give one simple choice, do and think everything told or you will be tossed out to the street.

One of the more creepy things I recall was when I received a package in the mail, I would find it in my room when I returned from work. This means that bethel personnel may enter your room at any time with impunity. Could you image what it would be like if your apartment manager could do the same?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit