So what’s the longest road trip you’ve been on? or farthest you've driven?

by doodle-v 39 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Boston to LA by the southern route... I was newly married at 18. We got to LA and 2 weeks later there was a huge earthquake. I thought Armageddon had come. Then a 1 1/2 years later the return trip....from LA to Boston... I've driven from Boston to Florida and vice versa more times than I can remember...sometimes with family...sometimes by myself.

Coffee

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

3 long trips

girlfriend and I went from Montreal to Cape Breton - did some camping and then home round trip 3200 KM

driving alone on my move from Montreal to Winnipeg - 2400 LKM with two cats that hate driving and cried the whole way. Made several stops along the way so it took 4 days to make the trip. The cats started in separate carriers but I eventually had to put them in the same one to reduce the amount of crying. When I would stop for a break I would let them out in the cab of the U-Haul and would would head straight under the gas pedal. Nightmare. When I moved back to Ottawa this year I left the cats in Winnipeg. I just could not see putting 13 yr old cats through that again. Heck I didn't want to go through it again so I flew and had my things shipped..

Last trip from Winnipeg to Montreal (daughter's wedding) then on to Toronto/Niagara Falls/Lake Simcoe then on to Sudbury and home - 5000 km return trip with one other driver

And as jgnat said Ontario is huge - really huge - 45 minutes in Quebec - 1 hour in Manitoba and all the rest in Ontario

• Bryan
    Bryan

I used to drive from Jersey to Houston, TX. Only stopping for gas and food. About 30 hours.

My longest trip was Los Angeles to Detroit, Michigan; 7 days!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

SLC, Utah to Juneau, Alaska. Miles and miles and miles and miles................

• juni
    juni

Westport, NY (Welch's grape jelly/jam town) to Wisconsin NON STOP W/FOUR LITTLE KIDS IN A VW MICRO BUS. That was torturous!! Why non stop? Couldn't shut engine down because starter wouldn't work. Junibreeze~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Dams, that one takes the prize, I think.

I like road trips. We drive from Indiana to Texas about every year. I think it's a 2600 mile round trip to Mom's. And we go to Florida at least once a year. That one is around 2000 miles, once you factor in the side runs to friends & beaches & parks & such.

The thing that bugs me a bit is the 'either/or' choice we have to make when we hit the road. I like buzzing down the Interstates at 80, but when you pull off at an exit for a meal ... it's the same crap we left behind. Fast food chains, casual dining chains, hotel chains ... there's little differentiation along the highways these days. Not like there was when I was a little kid, anyway. The alternative is to take state & US highways, which lends a more scenic route & bit more variety to the trip, but at the cost of time on the road. The sensible choice for us is to pick an interesting destination, get there as quickly as we can, and enjoy the unique character of our vacation spot.

• fairchild
    fairchild

In one month, I drove twice back and forth from New York City to Colorado Springs, two weeks later.. from New York City to Las Vegas and back. The next month I drove from Upstate NY to Utah, then from Utah to Toronto and from Toronto to Boston. Four months later I drove from Upstae NY to Florida, then from Florida to New Jersey. Over the years, I made a total of 8 trips across the US. But my "longest" road trip was when I walked from New York City to Las Vegas in 1992. It took 10 months to get there.

• horrible life
    horrible life
    But my "longest" road trip was when I walked from New York City to Las Vegas in 1992. It took 10 months to get there.

Why????? Just being nosey. HL

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Hi juni

Westport, NY (Welch's grape jelly/jam town)

Westfield, actually. Sorry, it's one of my favorite little towns south of Buffalo and near Lake Chautauqua.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

In college I used to go from LA to home in New Mexico and back (just over a 1,000 miles) at least 3 or 4 times a year.

but the longest road trip was a looping tour that took me from Los Angeles to Oklahoma (where I picked up my nephew) to Indiana, (where I visited a sister I was "getting to know") to Michigan (where I had lunch with another Internet sister-friend), looped through Canada, came over to Niagra, to New York where we visited Brooklyn Bethel, down to Virginia (where we visited another sister that I was "getting to know" , down to North Carolina, where we met up with the love of my life and her family from Florida, and then from there back across Tennessee to Oklahoma (where I dropped off my nephew) and made a bee-line for Malibu, Calif. just in time to make my ex-girlfriend's wedding. The drive from NC back to California was the hardest because I had to do it in about 40 hrs in order to make the wedding otherwise we went at a deliberate but leisurely pace.

The worst part about the trip was my useless Wookie of a co-pilot, who didn't have his driver's license, has bad eyesight and couldn't read a map to save his life, oh and by the way he slept a lot of the way.

The best part was meeting Gina, oh and the reception at the Bethel Lobby was hilarious - not exactly the "warm greeting" and environment that we expected.

I think the whole trip was something like 14,000 miles or something.

But that isn't really the best part. Here is the best part. I was driving a RENTAL from Alamo rental cars, a really nice brand new Jeep Cherokee, that had literally something like 20 miles when I picked it up (actually they were out of the econo car that i booked so they bumped me up for free). Since Alamo doesn't charge for the mileage it was no big deal - though I probably should not have taken into Canada they probably had a cow when they compared the mileage. They were probalby like the guy only had it 2 weeks and he put 15,000 miles on it!!!!

Me and my (current) wife made a nice trip around the Southwest a couple of years ago and that was probably about 5 or 6 thousand miles.

Another great trip was when I flew to Philadelphia, picked up the rental (again from Alamo) drove over to Atlantic City to pick up Dorota, this really hot Polish sister that I was "getting to know" and took her on a bed n breakfast tour around New England for about a week.

good times, but my touring isn't over.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit