Looking forward to Armageddon?

by Gill 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

My eldest daughter (21) said something that stopped me in my tracks yesterday. We were busy wrapping christmas presents (yes, we've started early this year) for her younger siblings. Then she started laughing and said: 'Isn't it nice to have Christmas, birthdays, Easter, bonfire night, halloween etc to look forward to instead of only looking forward to Armageddon!'

Hey! It took my breath away for a moment!

I can't believe how much fun we have now we're no longer JWs, how life is good and you feel for people who are suffering devastation and try to help them all over the world, instead of rejoicing because it's a sign that God's going to kill them all soon and leave all the goodies to the good little JWs!

Roll on Christmas!

• Gopher
    Gopher

As one raised a JW, I was told that the outsiders only lived for their holidays, birthdays, etc. -- and that THEY were the ones missing out on the paradise hope.

Now I know that I was the one missing out and feeling weird because of being different from all the other kids, and thinking that their existence would be short-lived because Armageddon was near.

In truth, we're all only here for a short time. The JW's dangled the "live forever / paradise" carrot and cut me off from regular interaction with other children and non-Witness family.

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

Hey, Gill! Mom always used to sniff with a tear in her eye;" Well, they can have their old birthdays and Christmas, we've got the paradise!" She was keeping a stiff upper lip, I think. BTW, what is bonfire days? Sounds like fun!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Looking forward to the big "A", is like looking forward to living in "city of the damned".

Besides birthdays, christmas,etc, we also have memories to make with ALL our friends and families. I no longer feel that impending sense of "DOOM". We can "waste" time and do things like bunging jumping, or whatever rocks our boat--and not be made to feel guility!

We can love life now, not wait for a life to enjoy!

shelley

• defd
    defd

Yes I look forward to Armageddon. That has to happen before we can live for ever on a Paradise Earth. I cannot wait. I just pray that I will make it through if I am alive when it happens.I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of Jesus fury.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I cant say that Im looking forward to it. What if im tortured to death? Or watch someone take my childrens lives? But, "if" there is a new system, I would look forward to that. (if I made it past the pearly gates)

• thom
    thom

I did look forward to the new system, but the thought of Armageddon always sickened me. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that either it can't be right, or God is cruel.
    How can someone look forward to the killing of so many people, many of whom never even heard of Jehovah, just to get them out of the way. What makes their lives so worthless that it's ok to wipe them out so a select few can enjoy their view of paradise?

• Periodic Bedlam
    Periodic Bedlam

The people who die before Armageddon have it made! They get to skip the entire event!

But as a trade-off for not being alive to witness the mass murder of billions, they won't be allowed to get married or have kids once they are resurrected in Paradise.

There's always a hitch.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

defd - Chill out , there is no Armaggedon coming, the bible is composed of myths, stories and historical records tweeked and put together by jewish priests for the OT, and catholic priests for the NT. And as for the natural disasters going on lately, it's just natural processes the planet goes through, maybe man has helped make it a little worse with the ozone, and global warming. And personally, I would be moving away from the coastal regions, right about now, because they will eventually be under water. I saw a very interesting thread on what some catholic church officials said, here's the link, I think this is the beginning of the end for organized religion as we know it, 2000 years of following lies, is long enough, and that's not counting the jewish part of it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html

IC

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of Jesus fury.

Once one comes to realize that Jesus Christ' grace is sufficient for us then the fear of him dissipates leaving only love and compassion behind. It is this irrational fear of dying at Armageddon that keeps people bound to the borg.

I am looking forward to tomorrow, to growing older and seeing how my kids turn out, to having grandchildren and great grands, perhaps even great, great grands .... those are things to look forward to IMHO.

sweet tee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit