by findingmyway 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

Uncertainty's Second Wave

Hurricane Katrina Evacuees Face Life After the D.C. Armory

By Theola S. Labbe

Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, October 14, 2005; Page B01

The shelter for New Orleans evacuees at the D.C. Armory was about to close, but Stella Oselem wasn't worried. After weeks of kindness from strangers, Oselem, 78, decided to accept an offer to live in a private D.C. home with someone who shared her Jehovah's Witness faith.

But soon after she moved in, her host went on a trip and put her with another family. Then, about a week later, the second host told her to leave to make room for out-of-town family members, Oselem said.

With dwindling options, she found herself this week at a walk-in center for Hurricane Katrina evacuees at D.C. General Hospital. She clutched a white slip of paper, a referral for a hotel in Rockville.

"Thank God I got it," Oselem said of the 14-day hotel voucher sponsored by the American Red Cross. Her social worker said she would try to get Oselem's name on a federal housing list for a senior citizen apartment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/13/AR2005101301957.html?referrer=emailarticle

SHE WAS A SENIOR CITIZEN FOR GOODNESS SAKE! I GUESS THAT'S AGAPE LOVE FOR YOU.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I really hope this was an isolated incident

I'm afraid it might not be an isolated incident

• Legolas
    Legolas

I hope this report goes far and wide in the news!

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

Caring for widows and orphans. I just feel the love.

• upside/down
    upside/down

True to form...

Can a leopard change it's spots?

u/d

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Caring for widows and orphans is fundamental to the christian faith according to the book of James. I am sure we all can recount stories of how the JW's both show love and also do not show love. Its just like any other religion isn't it? Nice people and nasty people but the problem is they tout John 13:35 as pointing to themselves as the "true religion" so they should be living up to it but they don't. Sad.... and disturbing this report.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Very typical. She probably didn't measure up to the spiritual standards of her hosts, therefore she had to go.

• sir82
    sir82

Jeeprube,

Bingo! She is probably "inactive", or doesn't attend all the meetings, etc.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    She is probably "inactive", or doesn't attend all the meetings, etc.

very likely!

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Show that article to a jw and they'll either not believe it or say it was probably an "apostate" who wrote and submitted it to the newspaper.

Goldminer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit