Infinitism

by dunsscot 31 Replies latest jw friends

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Skeptics of the world, unite!

As I slowly and deliberately nursed a nonalcoholic cup of Coca-Cola tonight, something motivated me to pull out my notes on infinitism and share them with you good folks here.

Infinitism is a philosophical school of thought that advocates the epistemological "suspension of judgment." It differs from both foundationalism and coherentism in the following ways:

Foundationalism posits that one's reason (R) for a belief (P) is "ultimately based upon a reason for which there is no further reason."

Coherentism says that one's R for P is ultimately based "in part" upon P.

Infinitism, on the other hand, contends that one's R for P is based on R1, which is based on R2, ad infinitum. The resultant effect is that any judgment regarding P is provisional and should be held in suspension. In this way, we avoid dogmatism or circularity.

Peter D. Klein of Rutgers University says that infinitism is the view that "the structure of justificatory reasons is infinite and non-repeating . . ."

What do you think?

Duns the Scot

"Nobody is taller than himself or herself."

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Interesting. But if you can never pinpoint your reason for belief..does that make you openminded..or closeminded...or can a person take it to each extreme? What I mean is. If your reasons are ever changing or infinite, so are your arguments to your opponents rebuttals.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Dunsscot, can you not answer a simple question when asked? What was your great insight on the use of "pros" with the accusative which you shared with your elder who was showing his great need of intellectual stimulation?

w75 9/1 519 Insight on the News One young promiscuous woman who received a kidney from her older, conservative, well-behaved sister, at first seemed very upset. Then she began imitating her sister in much of her conduct.

• Zep
    Zep
    What do you think?

I don't know, what do you think?. Do you think, or do you just let the 'experts' think for you?

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

What's with the hostility guys? If philosophy is not your cup of tea move on. I for one am interested in where this is going.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

It's going the same place as the mythical bird which flies in ever decreasing circles until it disappears up its own arse! Like all Dunsscot's posts.

w75 9/1 519 Insight on the News One young promiscuous woman who received a kidney from her older, conservative, well-behaved sister, at first seemed very upset. Then she began imitating her sister in much of her conduct.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Fascinating. Does this bird have a name?? :P

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Yes, but it escapes me for the time being. It got a mention in at least one Carry On movie - Carry On Christmas, IIRC, and pops up in British comedy from time to time. I've posted a request on a newsgroup for info and will get back to you on the results of this earth shattering enquiry.

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

Dear Naeblis,

:Interesting. But if you can never pinpoint your reason for belief..does that make you openminded..or closeminded...or can a person take it to each extreme? What I mean is. If your reasons are ever changing or infinite, so are your arguments to your opponents rebuttals.:

Infinitism does not say that one cannot "pinpoint" his or her "reason for belief." What it does contend is that one "can believe that P without JUDGING that P" (Dr. Peter Klein). In other words, "it could be that one believes that the reasons one has so far discovered for P are not conclusive" (Klein). An infinitist thus thinks that inquiry never ends. All beliefs are provisional, whether they are ethical, scientific or theological. I personally think that an infinitist can be quite open-minded. Obviously, however, an infinitist could become dogmatic if he or she were not careful. But I like Klein's attitude. He writes: "So is infinitism correct? Of course, I do not take the matter to be settled. I do not expect to have convinced you that infinitism is preferable to foundationalism or coherentism. Or even that there are no fatal objections to infinitism." Klein goes on to point out that he hopes the argument contained in his essay forces us to take his view seriously. I think his demeanor exemplifies the thoughts of most infinitists, though some philosophers have claimed Klein almost stands alone in this respect.

Lastly, infinitism does imply that one is willing to change his or her views if the evidentiary chain of reasons suggest one should do so. That is why Klein talks about the suspension of judgment.

Sincerely,
    Dan

Duns the Scot

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

:Dunsscot, can't (informal) you answer a simple question when asked? What was your great insight on the use of "pros" with the accusative which you shared with your intelectual [sic] stimulation [what?] starved elder?:

You mean to tell me that you do not know the answer to this question, Steph? I thought you "knew" Greek. You should be the one teaching me. PROS + the accusative over against SUN + the dative serves a pretty simple semantic function in Attic and Koine Greek. I think you are trying to sandbag, my friend. The major lexica and Greek grammars all contain the information. Why hound me? I hate throwing priceless pearls to swine. :-)

Duns the Scot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit