How many exJWs are now pagan? Why?

by Sirona 30 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Although I believe in the Christ, I do not consider myself a Christian! The pidgeonhole I have labeled myself is Mystic Agnositc. Since I believe in the Great Spirit and the Great Mystery, I feel that Agnosticism is a placeholder until I learn one way or another if "god" truly does exist.

Most of my Pagan training has come from native american (Indian) teachings practices ceremonies etc. Although I've explored wicca and other new-age and neo pagan concepts.

I no longer feel compelled to seek as I once did. I am comfortable with It whatever It is.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I like the neo-pagan ideas, the natural ways of relating to the world. I think my closest match is Taoist, but in the end I prefer no label, or to be labeled as no-thing.

• Preston
    Preston

I don't know if I can call myself pagan...

... but like Dick York on Bewitched, I suddenly found myself married to one.

- Preston

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I thought we discussed this thread a month or two ago.......anyhow

I shy from labels as they come and go like any fashion.

Thankfully, most people I meet are so wrapped up in their own story that I rarely speak of my personal beliefs. That is the down side of living in a new age centre! ha ha

I too challenged my fears post jws. Even recently, I had very provoking lessons taught by and about fear. What gives me solice and power is nature. The rythym of seasons, animal behaviour and the exceptance by animals of us if we tread gently and with wisdom.

God(s)? I still have trouble with literal beings. Symbolic gods? Yes. If I dance, I envisage Nataraj the dancing Shiva.

Needing power? Hanuman the brave and loyal monkey god.

My personal mantra is...to be truly human is to be personally responsible, which could go back to some teachings of christ.(not jws!) Actually, while travelling recently I got this powerful realisation that buddhism and hinduism are quite selfish beliefs. Kinda like bubbles flowing down a river all separate. That christianity at least in its true form is about doing loving acts for others. I saw it in action in tsunami areas.

Love to me is the great unknown. That is why I do enjoy hanging out with pagans, as they are willing to experience all. Good people mostly.

• talesin
    talesin

Okay, doof. Now you are freaking me out. Reading that was like looking in the mirror.

living in a new age centre

What gives me solice and power is nature.

to be truly human is to be personally responsible,

I got this powerful realisation that buddhism and hinduism are quite selfish beliefs.

christianity at least in its true form is about doing loving acts for others

Love to me is the great unknown. That is why I do enjoy hanging out with pagans, as they are willing to experience all. Good people mostly.

one of my mottoes,,,

Love is the Power Supreme.

~ the Silver Surfer

t

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yeah, kinda had that realisation about you a few weeks ago but didn't want to freak you out!!!

I guess when you think about it, we have followed a natural progression for honest hearted people, post jws. Ultimately we are responsible.

Love is mysterious and inexplicable and life is short. So what is my place in this weird experience we call life?

Tell me more of you.

Oh by the way I am a Taurus Monkey. Even though I have trouble believing that we are fated by stars, I cannot fault what is said of TM's!!!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Since being out of JWism and becoming more mentally free it has allowed me to ask myself exactly what it is I do believe; even as a JW (although I wouldve never admitted it) I always did feel that in order to be close to a creator surely it stands to reason you must be close to his/her creations.

I suppose that my worldview so far has a leaning towards what could be described as pagan beliefs but I am at the very early stages of my journey and its difficult to pin a label on them to any great extent.

I was interested to see another poster say that Christianity had pagan origins; perhaps more could be elaborated on this point as it would be interesting to see where this comes from.

DB74

• talesin
    talesin

doof,

I had to google TM, and I see what you mean. From what I read in your postings, the traits are you. I, too am a skeptic, and am mystified at the descriptions found in my detailed Aquarian horoscope (yes, logic and flakiness wrapped into one confused, but happy-go-lucky package ), also fiercely independent. Fascinating, Captain! I know almost zero about Chinese horoscopes. Also, i was given a tarot deck, and have been surprised at some of the things I have read over the years.

Oh well, when you said where and how you lived, my jaw dropped. It's different here, to live in the bush, what with the harsh winters, but has always been one of my dreams. ;)

DB74,

Hey you!

old married man!

I am still not a 'pagan', I just like some of their stuff, and the ideas of gaia and collective consciousness appeal to me.

If you enjoy good historical fiction, some of the tales of the Arthurian Legend incorporate the 'Christianization of Paganism', as I like to call it. The Mists of Avalon by Zimmer-Bradleyis one. Also, I am thinking of the Mary Stewart series, including The Haunted Hills, The Crystal Caves, The Last Enchantment, and at least one other called ... ? These four books delve into the possible Celtic aspects of Arthur, and are one of the best 'reads' I've experienced in a lifetime of nerdiness .

t

• free2beme
    free2beme

I guess I would be one of those! Why, because I believe it more to be true in my heart and more open to our own feelings and allows our own life to connect with it, and not to be connected to something stubborn in views. I consider myself to be Wiccan, and I do not see anything wrong with that in and way. Although, I do not consider myself to be all right on the issue and willing to listen and learn. Unless it is Christianity! I tend to be negative with that.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I don’t consider my self pagan by any means although I do agree with Frank Lloyd Wright in that I feel the earth is my church.

I fast on Winter solstice. My wife celebrates Christmas and because I have never celebrated it myself and currently have difficulty justifying doing so I’ve decided to begin my own spiritual reason for celebration. I’ve thought about expanding my fasting days to include the equinoxes and Summer solstice but I have a hard time with Winter solstice. I realize it’s mind over matter but my mind isn’t what it used to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit