How many exJWs are now pagan? Why?

by Sirona 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

I was just wondering how many exJehovahs Witnesses are now pagan? Of the exJWs I've met, quite a few either describe themselves as pagan or pretty much have "pagan" type religious views.

I wonder if it is a backlash against the control of the JWs - to choose a religion which has "no rules" as such. Also, is it rebellion? Are we choosing the one type of religion which the JWs fear and hate the most? Is it a form of facing our fears to be able to say that we did the ritual or we used the tarot and "the debil didn't get us"?

From my standpoint there was a very clear feeling of finally facing that which I used to fear the most. I felt that if I could face that, then there wouldn't be much left to scare me. Overall I think I have succeeded in facing many of my fears which were ingrained in me by the JWs (fear of armageddon / death, fear of evil spirits, fear of "worldly" people etc.).

However, I'm wondering if my ultimate fear is that I'll eventually discover that God/Goddess doesn't exist except in our own minds. I have had many experiences which make it unlikely that I'd reach such a conclusion, however, I am also open minded enough to remember what was said in the Matrix "What is real?"

Overall, I like paganism for psychological reasons - what I mean by that is that the structure and focus of the festivals is very psychologically empowering. I strongly believe that the pagan worldview is one of the most beautiful and loving outlooks that can be found in religious thought today. It overcomes dogma and fundamentalism and it embraces and unifies the physical and divine.

Are you a pagan and an ExJW? Why did you choose paganism?

Sirona (of the being very honest class)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sirona, I don't know that I've "chosen" paganism as a religion, but every online test about religious beliefs that I've taken in the past year or so seems to catalog my beliefs (which are relatively few) as neo-pagan. I don't really believe in that New Age shtuff, but neither do I believe in Paganism as a religion. I feel that I'm sorta in religion-Limbo, if you know what I mean.

I'm also wondering (as I see you are wondering) whether one day I'll discover that all religious beliefs are concocted in our minds and only verified by whatever our minds influence our environment to contain. If that's so, then I'm at the "what is reality?" stage of life, too.

Frannie

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I feel this way, am I the only ex JW that is still Christian? I know I am not, but sometimes it feels that way!

• Moridin
    Moridin

I know for me that paganism has taught me a love for everything living and has made me a much better person than I was. I've still got a long path to walk, but I'm sure that I will continue to grow spiritually and become a stronger and wiser person because of paganism.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I wouldnt classify myself yet as Pagan, but it is very hard to explain away intuition and coincidence and the amount of Psychic and Spirit activity that occurs. It is also the only spiritual belief system that seems to make sence. I have been amazed at the logic of belief and the love amongst Pagans, not at all the black Satanic blood-letting occultists that i had always assumed they were as a JW.

• kazar
    kazar

I am an ex-JW. I can't trust any belief system since I left JW's.

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

I wouldnt consider myself pagan but more like "pagan friendly" (thats what all my pagan friends call me). If I had to devote myself to a religion today I would say pagan or buddhist. Since leaving the jw's I just dont find it neccessary to pigeonhole myself into one particular religion. But I know enough about pagans/wiccans, etc...to know that I like what I know.

Good observation though Sirona, most of my ex-jw friends are pagan, hmmm...wierd!

-April

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I think I was always pagan, I just thought I was a JW. My earliest memories were of roaming around in the cedar groves near our home in NW Montana and making my little sacred space, reading and meditating and feeling close to Mother (earth). I have always also been very sensitive to other's emotions, to the point of not being able to handle it sometimes. But my family were JWs for generations. Now that I look back, my mom and my grandmom also would have been classified as green witches in other times, though they were loyal they always knew which herb to use for which ailment. They would shudder to think I called them that, probably even have to say an extra prayer or call out jehovah's name just in case! Anyway, it was quite awhile after I left that I started reading up and putting a name to my beliefs.

But I have always felt most intensely spiritual outside in nature. And now I can live that spirituality to its fullest degree its immensely satisfying and fulfilling. I'm a much better person for it.

Blessings~

Sherry

• Carol
    Carol

I must not understand what is meant by pagan in this thread. I consider myself a Christian as I believe in Christ, however I don't believe in organized religion. I consider myself a spiritual person. While a JW I was taught that anyone not a JW was therefore a Pagan! So yes, I guess I am a Pagan that believes in Jesus and nature!

• Sirona
    Sirona

Frannie,

I think that there are many people, exJWs and non-JWs, who feel that the idea of paganism fits them. Mostly I think this is due to the move away from strict religion and the way that paganism embraces the Goddess.

I'm not interested in labels myself - in fact recently I've avoided using the word "witch" entirely because I think it gives a wrong impression. We simply cannot change the age old concept of an old hag on a broom. Just recently there are so many teens popping up everywhere saying that they are a witch (without knowing what a "real" witch is) that it is making the whole subject the butt of jokes. Those who are part of this belief system are viewed as nutty and ill-educated.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit