How Do You Feel It Should Be Handled?

by Kismet 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hello Kismet: I'm glad you posted this topic.

It's something that's been nagging away at me ever since this subject started being discussed here.

How do you feel the Society should handle things?

I know the Society wants us to believe they are handling it in the best way and probably really believes it is right in not enforcing the policy of informing the authorities in all cases....that they alone should handle those sinning.

This practice though is disregarding the child's welfare over that of the image of the Society as being God's only true worshippers. I'm no psychologist but I'm sure there would be enough tell-tale signs in a molested child to make a the child's claims believable enough to take a child to a doctor and then to warrant an investigation.

I see no other answer but that the proper authorities should be informed by the parents in all cases.

Should the Society be entitled to 'ecclesiatic privilege' as are other religions?
    To this I can only ask why? Why should it, and any religion for that matter, have 'ecclesiatic privilege' allowing someone who has broken the law to "get away with" confessing only to his "minister" and not having to be held accountable for breaking the laws of the land?...laws that are in place for the protection of the general public.

I've never understood why clergy should even have this "privilege" which I'm sure many times has caused a troubled conscience because he his prevented from seeing justice carried out for the victim.

Should such a loophole be allowed when it involves protecting children?
    Perhaps this question should read ..."when it involves not protecting children". I guess I cannot see how this loophole would protect a child...maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I cannot see any good in allowing a loophole to keep proven molesters from having to face the penalty for their crime.

How should the Society respond locally with a convicted pedophile.
    We're talking about a child's innocence and childhood having been robbed often brutally and their lives forever affected.

I realize that one thing to be considered is that perhaps the family wouldn't want it known that their child was victimized so perhaps their names could be kept anonymous, but I do feel that the child needs to be able to feel safe again, and other children need to be protected after a convicted pedophile has served his sentence.

So I feel the locals need to be made aware of who the pedophile is.

Should they ever be allowed back in the congregation? If yes to what level?
    I think considerable time would need to pass for a pedophile to prove himself, to no longer be a danger, receiving professional councelling, but should always be restricted from his association with children alone. How long? I don't know. I'm a very forgiving person, but this is a difficult thing to once again trust this person.

As far as being an elder again...that too is tough since the Bible teaches us to forgive many times and many things, a good concept, but it would be real tough in these kind of situations. I'm trying to think like Jesus would, but I can't get past seeing a horrified look on a child's face...one who has been physically brutalized in ways unimaginable or emotionally coerced into participation through devious manipulation. I have heard details of some cases just too horrific to believe possible for one human being to do to a helpless small child.

I can't see any good in allowing a convicted molester to be in the public eye in a position of leadership and authority.

How should local elders handle reports of alleged molestation? One child makes an accusation, what should they do? At what point should they notify authorities? At what point do they notify the congregation?
    I think I see where you are going with this part and I understand the situation that could arise in a man being wrongly accused and having that stigma hang over the head of an innocent man. Public hysteria and media hype can do alot of damage.

I still can't help but feel though that this kind of thing should be handled by the proper authorities for investigation right from the start. I know we all know of cases that were mishandled by authorities and innocent people were convicted. That is a possibility with any crime though, and hopefully the authorities have learned enough now to rule out using unskilled or maverick investigative methods.

One thing is for sure....the elders are not trained or skilled to be able to handle this serious a matter.

I hope the many answers you received take you where you want to go with this subject Kismet. I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

• angel
    angel

Nytele
    You said "IF" the pedophile was repentent then that person would be allowed back in the congregation i seem to recall that Manuel never apologized to Erica and even went as far as pleeding NOT guilty in his first trial, my question is then why let him back in where he can put other children at risk? And he walked his daughter down the isle at the kingdom hall when he was reinstated isn't that a priviledge?
    And he is encouraged to go out in service forget the car group there were times I went out in service by myself because i was behind in my hours,what then if Manuel goes out in service by himself, the KH and WTBS allowing a accused child rapist knock on some strangers door and putting alot of children in a horrible sitution.

• Tina
    Tina

(((((((((((hadEnuff)))))))))))
    It bothers me too! leaves me with more questions than answers......so on that note BTTP,Tina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit