What's the most thought-provoking novel you've ever read?

by lucky 87 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Little Red Hen: The Grapes of Wrath is such a great book full of deeper meaning and foreshadowing. It's a book about morals and family struggles, its about humanity .......... I think I need to read it again.

See this link: http://www.123helpme.com/assets/10969.html

Biblical Allusion in The Grapes of Wrath

A popular literary technique that can be found in a number of literary works is the biblical allusion. John Steinbeck perfects this technique in his novel The Grapes of Wrath by introducing a character who is symbolic of Jesus Christ. This character, Jim Casy, not only shares initials with this biblical figure, but he also grows thoughout the novel as a speaker, a mediator, an organizer, and, most remarkably, a martyr

See this link: http://www.pleasanton.k12.ca.us/avhsweb/smithj/AP%20Lang/Assignments/grapesSQ.html

T he turtle suggests the struggle for survival. Indicate from the final paragraph of this chapter two of his actions that are positive and similar to humans. If the turtle is foreshadowing, what can you predict about the plot, the characters?
  • Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

Sally, I am just past where Grampa dies. This is one of the best darn reads I have had in a while. I have not seen the movie, but I did see the last 5 minutes of it on a documentary. I also have a strange habit of reading the last few pages of a book, so I know what is comming.

This book has played a part in my life, because my mom always spoke of things that were less than orderly, clean, new or otherwise up to her exacting standards as being "grapes of wrath". She grew up during the depression, and it had been fabled throughout my childhood. What poor Mom fails to see is even though these people live catch as catch can, they still have their humanity. As do I.

I can understand Jim Casey not wanting anything to do with religion, too. Great read.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Yes, Jim Casy didn't want to have anything to do with religion ....... another similarity between him and the other JC. Read those sites and you will see how much deeper this book is and how it relates to the "oneness" or bigger community of man. The movie is not as good because you just don't get to see the deeper intended meaning that Steinbeck was writing about ......

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Grace Metalious was a great writer, often underrated since she is only known for Peyton Place. Her life story is even more interesting than her books. My favorite of hers is The Tight White Collar, actually her first novel which took her 9 years to write but wasn't published until after Peyton Place was published. Her style of writing and description and her character description is awesome.

The Tight White Collar is out of print but I have 2 copies, both loaned out and hopefully I will get them back.

• integ
    integ

"Life everlasting in freedom of the sons of God.."

It provoked thoughts alright....of SUICIDE!!!!

Integ.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Narkissos----thanks for the Hesse thread link...

Everybody else----thanks for giving me lots to add to my reading list!!!

A few more that made me think are The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain, The Temple of My Familiar by Alice Walker and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

~Merry

• JW83
    JW83

Evilforce, I was given 'the alchemist' for my b'day but haven't read it yet - I'll put it on my list now.

I'm a history buff & a detective story buff (reading as escape, not thought!) - so great novels don't usually get me. I will always hold a place in my heart for 'Anna Karenina' by Tolstoy, 'Pride & Prejudice' by Austen, 'Exodus' & 'Mila 18' by Leon Uris, & I recently read 'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith, which was quite good! Oh, and 'the Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Already mentioned are some that made an impresion on me :Brave New World, Life of Pi,, To Kill a Mockingbird , The Alchemist, Satanic Verses, The Blind Watchmaker, Dune, Steppenwolf

Here are a few others: The Name of the Rose, Faucaults Pendulem - an absolute must for leaving JW's, The Lord of the Rings, Crime and Punishment, and the highly aclaimed 'minimus chapter 1'

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I just completed a most delightful book by Yann Martel, entitled "The Life of Pi." Pi Patel is the son of a zookeeper, who loves stories and practices three religions simultaneously (Hinduism, Christianity and Islam). When Pi is sixteen, his family and their zoo animals emigrate from India to Canada aboard a Japanese cargo ship, Tsimtsum. During the voyage the ship sinks, leaving Pi in a lifeboat, with his only companions a hyena, an organgutan, a wounded zebra, and a 450-pound Bengal tiger by the name of Richard Parker. Soon the tigers' hunger was satisfied by eating the three animals, leaving only Pi and Richard Parker together. The rest of the story is about how Pi manages to keep alive until they reach land in Mexico.

I certainly recommend it.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Alexander Brown.

I would highly recommend this book. It shocked me beyond words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit