What's the most thought-provoking novel you've ever read?

by lucky 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    hummm....have alot of books to list but the most thought-provoking would be Joesph Conrad-Heart of Darkness.

I just read this for the very first time and I was dumbfounded by the prose--it was astonishingly wonderful. How often does something live up to its reputation like this book did?

I loved it. the language is delicious.

T

• Mulan
    Mulan

The Celestine Prophecy, at the time I read it was very profound, as I was fading as a JW.

The Da Vinci Code a good book to make you question long held beliefs.

• Mac
    Mac

And have you not read the Celestine Vision?

mac, finds Dick and Jane challenging class

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

anne rices description of creation in memnoch the devil.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Taipan, M.M. Kaye's The Far Pavilions, The Search For Christian Freedom, The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine.

Giant by Tony Robbins, love to read its one of my best hobbies.

• Mac
    Mac

Anne Rice is the only fiction author I read...

... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmac

• lilbit
    lilbit
    Don't laugh--mine was Celestine Prophecy

I read that a long time ago when I first left the dubs. I remember it being a real mind opener.

More recently The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I still remember the first novel I ever read back in the 70's, it was The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough and it got me started reading books by the dozen.

Another one that sticks with me from the same time period was The Queen's Confessions by Victoria Holt. It had me hooked from the beginning and looking up history of Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution for weeks. Well written historical novel. I have read almost all of Victoria Holt's books before and after that one.

As of late the next two good books I've read with much interest have been Miles From Nowhere by Barbara Savage and The Quiet Room by Lori Schiller oh and Crisis of Conscience. I tend to read mostly physiology books it's been hard for me to actually sit and read "fluff" reading I don't know why.....hey maybe there's a book on physiology that will explain it to me? LOL

Kate (of the too many books to little time class)

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

The Goonies (book of the film) well, i was a kid and it was amazing. Now I read Koonz (Odd Thomas was very good) and Grisham books.

• greendawn
    greendawn

My favourite is Count Monte Cristo of Alexander Dumas and the favourite quotes from it:

"Tell the angel who will watch over your life to pray now and then for a man who, like Satan, believed himself for an instant to be equal to God, but who realized in all humility that supreme power and wisdom are in the hands of God alone."

"I regard this restitution as a weight thrown into the scale to balance the evil I have done."

Both spoken by the Count.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit