What's the most thought-provoking novel you've ever read?

by lucky 87 Replies latest jw friends

• codeblue
    codeblue

DaVinci Code

Crisis of Conscience

In Search of Christian Freedom

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Hey long hair, I'm reading Wuthering Heights right now!

I don't know if it was thought-provoking, but "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb really stuck with me for a while.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

The Good Girl...

She's come undone also stuck with me since I used to be over 350 pounds and am not any longer.

The other book that stuck with me was The Lovely Bones.

• benito
    benito

Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, a different point of view of religions and how religion and imagination can help you to survive.

The Quincunx, by Charles Palliser; it was amazing how, after having read over 1000 pages, you get to the end and you realize that there was another story running behind the story you were reading . Have you seen "The sixth sense".? don´t want to reveal the end, but when you see it, you want to see the movie again to pay attention to the details you haven´t noticed the first time. The argument of the Quincunx doesn´t have anything to do with this movie, but the feeling you get when you finish reading is similar (but with the difference of having to read over 1000 pages again!!!.

These books were available translated into Spanish, it has to be easy to find them in English.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

1984 by George Orwell

I recently read Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, which is supposed to be one of the all-time thought-provokers, but you know I just wasn't *that* moved by it. I guess I'm not smart enough to grasp all the philosophical implications that it's supposed to contain.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hi Benito

Just finished Life of Pi whilst on holiday in India - an excellent read!

Eyeslice

• glitter
    glitter

I'm currently reading "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski, I am 80 pages in, I've been dwelling on it *so much* when not reading: I'm weirded out, more than a little frightened, and I need a tape-measure... great stuff so far.

• Preston
    Preston

Noctuary by Thomas Ligotti

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

The White Hotel by D M Thomas

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

The Good Earth by Pearl Buck

Share this

Google+