Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

The seventy year texts are in total agreement that he period was on desolation, servitude and exile. The black and white reading of all those text do not indicate that this period was only of servitude to Babylon. The texts refer quite definitely to the land lying desolate which that deportation which is exile which in turn is servitude. So, we have

Desolation of the land-depopulation-exile-servitude.

This accurate history represents quite clearly what God's Word says confirmed by the prophecy of Jeremiah and Zechariah, witnessed by Daniel and confirmed by the Ezra.

The theory of servitude or Babylonian domination is imposssible because no text refers to it and it cannot be established by chronology as no one can agree as to the precise date for the beginning.

The seventy years of Zechariah was the same period of the others because it commenced at the same time at the Fall and the context equates it with the period of desolation. It also must have been a n historic otherwise it could not have been a definite period in both the 2 and 4 th year of Darius.

Your theory of the seventy years is dishonest, misrepresents the Bible and amounts to shabby scholarship.

scholar JW

• AlanF
    AlanF

Ok, scholar pretendus, let's give readers another taste of your complete intellectual dishonesty.

Answer the following question:

Did the 70 years end with the Jews AT JERUSALEM or AT BABYLON?

Justify your answer with appropriate scriptural references.

Readers all know that you'll either ignore this question (as you've done twice now) or give a stupid reply that skirts an answer.

AlanF

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have very little internet access where I am, so unfortunately I can only give a limited reply.

First, I want to thank Narkissos for an excellent post on Jenni's analysis....Assuming that his representation of Jenni is correct, I would be inclined to agree that le is likely not ever a static locative in BH but only appears to be when viewed through the lens of semantic categories from other languages. I see a similar situation happen all the time with tense/modality/aspect; an exotic language may have its verbal system characterized according to European categories such as imperfective, subjunctive, pluperfect, but a nuanced analysis of the language on its own terms may show that it has been mischaracterized in terms of imposed categories so that other semantic categories may be more appropriate.

Is there a searchable corpus of sectarian Qumran texts yet? It would be great to add to the corpus of pre-Mishnaic Hebrew.

pseudo-scholar:

Jonsson in his GTR, 3rd edn p.213 says:"Modern Hebrew scholars generally agree that the local or spatial sense of le is highly improbable, if not impossible, at Jeremiah 29:10".

Yes, as I thought, the statement is indeed qualified, "highly improbable, if not impossible". Your claims that Jonsson dogmatically declared the reading IMPOSSIBLE (dogmatically without clarification) are hereby nullified by your own words.

I do not believe for one moment that the grammatical or semantic construction excludes a locative sense for le in Jeremiah 29: 10

Right....again, you prefer the most unlikely rendering, just because it is not TOTALLY impossible (although, in light of Narkissos' last post, it may well be impossible....I would need to judge Jenni's analysis for myself).

if there is no lexical or grammatical rule forbidding such a locative sense and if lexica and tradition omits it, then the NWT rendering cannot be judged as inaccurate.

Again, totally false. One does not need to FORBID a locative sense 100% to conclude that it is INACCURATE. If it is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY (e.g., almost impossible), one is also perfectly justified for rejecting the rendering. Again, the translator must prefer the most probable rendering.... clearly, the NWT has instead preferred a translation that is most unlikely, and thus cannot be judged as accurate.

the textual evidence of a locative sense by the LXX and the Versions and the immebiate context of Jeremiah

I have already TOLD you several times already that the LXX does not give a locative translation; I even put it on my list of pseudo-scholar errors, and yet you still repeat it.

5. In this thread (in post #535), pseudo-scholar claimed that "the textual tradition beginning with the LXX ... allows for a locative reading". FALSE. In post #4256, I showed that the dative case used by the LXX supports exactly the non-static locative rendering (e.g. "pertaining to, belonging to, with respect to", etc.) that pseudo-scholar is objecting to. I have to wonder if pseudo-scholar even knows what the dative case is used for.

If the LXX gave a locative sense, there would be an en in front of Babuloni (en Babuloni "in Babylon"). But there isn't any. So the dative here is a DATIVE (e.g. "to, for")....that is, "FOR BABYLON". So here you are citing a piece of evidence in support of the NWT when in fact it refutes it.

You harp on the matter of construction of Jeremiah 29:10 which in itself excludes a locative sense because there are no other examples of it otherwise in the OT.

Don't forget that in contrast to the absence of a static locative in this construction, there are many examples of a quasi-genitive in exactly this construction. Any translator without an agenda would naturally understood the preposition as non-locative as he/she would for any other occurrence of this construction (as indeed the NWT translates other instances of this construction, as has been pointed out in this thread).

Hebrew has much fluidity in respect to prepositions and particles and I do not believe that the construction is of any grammatical or aematic significance as you, Narkissos and Jenni argue.

I have already explained to you a month ago why you can't use "fluidity" as an excuse to use whatever option you prefer, regardless of the grammatical context. By having recourse to "fluidity", you are merely taking a cop-out to facing all the EVIDENCE refuting the static locative. Where is the fluidity when you look at the actual construction that does occur in Jeremiah 29:10? There is none....it's a construction that NEVER expresses a static locative in any known example and has a very legible meaning of its own.

If there is then please cite a text on Hebrew grammar or syntax in support of your inventive linguistic opinion.

Nice try to turn the tables, but it doesn't wash....we have already cited copious examples in this thread of texts in which the construction occurs. Now it's your turn to provide an example of the construction expressing a static locative to show that there is variability or fluidity in this linguistic context. If anything is "inventive", it is your attempt to take a clear, recognizable construction and make it mean something it does not. It's like insisting that "John ran up a huge bill at the restaurant" actually means "John ran physically up a gigantic duck's bill inside an even bigger restaurant", and not only insisting that this very improbable meaning as the only correct one, but calling a person "inventive" for preferring the most natural, common meaning of the expression.

I add this to spice up your ignorant and amateurish thesis on the cross. It could not have been theologically posssible for our Lord to die on a cross because of its attribution to iconography. Further, the Gospel eyewitnesses testified to a stake as stauros instead of a cross and the word stauros in that early period of Christianity meant simply a stake or pole.

This is just as circular as everything else you just wrote. You say that the gospel writers used stauros instead of the word for cross to refer to Jesus' execution instrument.....well, what word did the Greeks have for the Roman two-timbered cross that had been existence for several hundred years already?? All you are doing is merely repeat the Watchtower line without dealing with any of the new evidence I brought to light; actually, none of it is really new, but new to those such as yourself who know only what the Watchtower says....that stauros meant only stake. I showed, first, that Romans used two-beamed crosses since the third or second century B.C., and second that non-Christian pagan writers, when referring to this instrument of the Romans, clearly used the word stauros to refer to it, especially in reference to the patibulum that was carried by the victim prior to execution. This includes Lucian who the Watchtower cites to prove that stauros meant merely a stake, when in fact he was very explicit that it was shaped like the letter T. Of course, you refuse to deal with any of this evidence, and would rather label the whole thing as "amateurish", which is the word that best describes your whole effort here.

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

You are a boofhead, which I will proceed to prove.

Special pleading is an artform well practiced in the Jonsson hypothesis of which you a dedicated devotee. Again I repeat that the seventy years of Zechariah was the period that began with the Fall and ended with the Return, it was a period celebtated by annual fastings which as a tradition continued right up to the 2nd and 4th year of Darius. At the time that Zechariah received these angelic messages in the 2nd and 4th year of Darius, the seventy years must have already expired otherwise it could not have been seventy years simultaneously in the 2nd and 4th year. This exegetical truth is well demonstrated by the confusion over the datinng of these periods in the Jonsson hypothesis.

So we have the seventy years of Zechariah running from the Fall in 607 until the Return in 537 whereupon the Jews simply continued with the tradition of the annual fastings right up unitl the 2nd and 4th year of Darius. Freddy must be pleased with my genius as I demoplish those poztates of the evil slave class.

There is sufficient evidence in the lexica, grammar, context and textual tradition that supports the rendering of le in the NWT so it is a matter of judgement for the transaltor. Jenni who is only acclaimed by the apostates as the world's leading authority on Hebrew prepositions has simple provide an opinion and has no more merit than the opinion of many other translators who differ with Jenni in regard to Jeremiah 29:10.

You only believe that the seventy years belongs to Babylon and not Judah as you have not proved the matter at all. Jeremiah 29: 10 simply sates that when the seventy years are fulfilled then the exiles will return which has nothing to do the conquering of Babylon becuae they remained in Babylon until released by Cyrus. IThis is confirmed by an equivalent text in Jeremiah 27:22 which disproves your argument.

Hence, the seventy years could only have ended when the exiles returned home under the release of Cyrus in Babylon as Jeremiah said they were brought out of Babylon and restored to their place at Jerusalem. It is a bit like the Tale of Two Cities. So, Jeremiah 27 :22 links 25:11 and 29:10. in proving that the seventy yeras began with the deolation and depopulation and finished with the population of the land right on the exact time to the month. Glory Be!

The correct transaltion of 'at Babylon' concurs nicely with Jeremiah 27:22 with Babylon having a locative meaning in both verses.and thus the servitude at Babylon truly ended when the exiles returned home thus fulfilling the seventy years.

Jerermiah 25:11 certainly indicates that many nations would along with Judah be subject to Babylon but it is only Judah that was entirely desolated according to Jeremiah which does not mean populated but depopulated, without a single inhabitant is what the text clearly shows. Who do you believe? The Bible or the higher critic, a person who was not living at that time. What arrogant swill and garbage you promote!!!!!

Judah as a desolated place is well described in Jeremiah 25:9-11 you idiot.

Stauros has the primary meaningof satke as any Lexicon will state. Perhaps you could have a little teeny weeny peep at Liddell's & Scott's Greek Lexicon for necessary proof you fool.

Parousia means presence as proven by its usage in the NT, Josephus and by Deismann's research, Leolaia has simply provided a stupid piece of nonsense based upon the Patristic period.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Boofhead, the seventy years ended at Jerusalem not Babylon as proved by Jeremiah 27:22 which is the equivalkent text to Jeremiah 29:10. QED

scholar JW

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

What arrogant swill and garbage you promote!!!!!

Alan F You are a boofhead, which I will proceed to prove.

Freddy must be pleased with my genius as I demoplish those poztates of the evil slave class.

Scholar are you a Christian person - surely you do not have to resort to insults? Have you any modesty?

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

The translation of le in Jeremiah 29:10 is no major issur of translation as poztates demand because their whole hypothesis rides on a correct or precise meaning for this preposition which is impossible. All that we have is a simple peposition which has a wide semantic range and there are no grammatical rules which directly determine which English equivalent should be used. The context of this verse both immediate and non-immendiate, the traditional locative sense in the versions and LXX, the traditional locative 'at' favoured by the King James Bible attests well to 'at Babylon' in Jeremiah 29:10.

Jenni's opinions, Narkissos's and yours count for nothing because Hebrew has too much fluidity causing any such claimed precision to simply evaporate. In this case it is the subjective opinion of the translator that transcends the of those who have an agenda, a hostility towards the NWT. Rolf Furuli has already shown that the LXX with the Dative has a locative sense and in early times in the LXX the Dative case was a locative case anyway. Role Furuli is a formidable international scholar in Semitic studies and is well qualified in presenting the view that NWT is correct in the transaltion of this verse. You are not a scholar of these languages as Furuli is and I would rather take advice form my learned friend than yourself and Jenni.

Your nonsense about stauros is simply mischief making, a case made upon those facts that you selectively choose in order to support your thesis. The facts are that Jesus died according not to Roman custom but to Jewish custom which required a stake and that is what the eyewitnesses saw. If it was a cross then the appropriate word would if in fact it existed. Luke in Acts uses the word xulon which also means a stake or piece of wood co this confirms that Jesus was impaled on a simple stake.

All that you have done is buried yourself in Roman and pagan Christian literature regarding later traditions concerning the manner of Jesus' death. The cross was a pagan symbol long before the First Century so it wouls have been impossible for such a sacred act to have been impaled on such a pagan symbol. The Bible has always shown a sharp dichotomy between the sacred and the profane and for this reason alone such an association would have been theologically impossible.

scholar JW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Parousia means presence as proven by its usage in the NT, Josephus and by Deismann's research, Leolaia has simply provided a stupid piece of nonsense based upon the Patristic period.

Even the WTS admits that it means a little more than 'presence'. It notes that the word, which is a different word from the usual term used in the NT to denote 'arrival', actually means the arrival of a royal entourage, dignitary, or army.

Of course, the koine Greek is now understood in all its nuances, and C.T.Russell can be forgiven for falling in line with the c19th understanding of its meaning, especially in view of his adventist agenda. Were he alive today, he would be rather embarrassed by his grasp of primitive Greek.

11. Pointedly, pa·rou·si'a means "presence." Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words says: "PAROUSIA, . . . lit[erally], a presence, para, with, and ousia, being (from eimi, to be), denotes both an arrival and a consequent presence with. For instance, in a papyrus letter a lady speaks of the necessity of her parousia in a place in order to attend to matters relating to her property." Other lexicons explain that pa·rou·si'a denotes ‘the visit of a ruler.’ Hence, it is not just the moment of arrival, but a presence extending from the arrival onward. Interestingly, that is how Jewish historian Josephus, a contemporary of the apostles, used pa·rou·si'a.

What the WTS does with its interpretation of the 'parousia' is to make its usual dogmatic appeal for its doctrine through the words of another adventist with an agenda, W. E. Vine. Vine, believed both in an 'invisible presence' and 'soul sleep', doctrines which C. T. Russell cobbled together from various adventis factions into his 'truth'. Whenever the WTS wished to defend its anachronistic use of the term 'parousia', you will find that Vine is always used as desperate evidence of its accuracy.

Vine, incidentally was the first person to interpret the League of Nations, later the United Nations, as bearing the image of one of the beasts in Revelation years before Joey Rutherford, or the brilliant Fred Franz felt the need to. They once again cobbled together the interpretation, plagiarized from Vine and called it their own.

The 'parousia' and its true meaning is a subject which I have studied in depth and would be pleased to discuss with you on a fresh thread if you so wish.

Best regards - HS

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The longer he goes on with this the more I suspect that he is related to brownboy; conspiracy theory, delusions of grandeur, false prophesy, contradictions, etc., etc., etc.

I do not believe that he has ever even posted his qualifications and feel that his education is another figment of his imagination. He alludes to different Universities but does not mention his own affiliation with them. It is most peculiar and makes me doubt his honesty all the more.

I'd really like for him to answer Tor's question as it was a good one, but in true GB fashion, if the answer is going to be embarrassing to him, he'll ignore the question altogether...

J

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus wrote:

: Boofhead, the seventy years ended at Jerusalem not Babylon as proved by Jeremiah 27:22 which is the equivalkent text to Jeremiah 29:10. QED

You've shot yourself in the foot bigtime with this one.

If the 70 years ended at Jerusalem rather than at Babylon, then the NWT's rendering of "le-babel" as "at Babylon" is wrong, because the Jews were not at Babylon for 70 years. QED

Jer. 27:22 is irrelevant to this issue, since all it says is that the Jews would be in Babylon until Jehovah turned his attention to them, whence he would return them to Jerusalem. No one denies that the Jews were in Babylon for a period of time. The text doesn't mention anything about the 70 years. Therefore, this is yet another red herring from you.

I note with pleasure that you've turned off all pretense of Christianity. Your constant lying has proved that for years, but now you've confirmed it in other ways.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit