Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus said:

: Please send me the contact address and email address for Ernest Jenni

Look higher up on the page, you moron. Alleymom already gave the address. How can you be so stupid?

This proves that you don't actually read posts for content.

Why don't you admit that you flunked out of your religious studies courses?

AlanF

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Neil ---

I gave you Dr. Jenni's contact information upthread, in my message #368:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/87714/1488196/post.ashx#1488196

I will be responding to Leolaia's presentation of Jenni.s material because it contains nothing that disproves the transaltion 'at' for Jeremiah 29:10 as it is simply a concordance, listing the uses of prepostions. It does not contain any discussion of the translation challenge which is presented to scholars in this instance.

No, it is not merely a concordance. Concordances simply list the verses in which a given word appears, with no further information.

If you look at how the examples are grouped in the pages which Leolaia scanned, you should be able to see, even though you do not read German, that this is more on the order of the lists of examples of lamed arranged by meaning in standard lexicons such as Brown-Driver-Briggs.

Incidentally, have you ever read through the whole entry for the preposition lamed in BDB? It goes on for pages. If you haven't ever given it a careful reading, it occurred to me that you might want to do that before you write to Dr. Jenni. It's j ust a thought, so take it for what it's worth, but it seems to me that if you read the numerous subheadings in BDB, along with the Bible references given under each sub-heading, you might be able to have a more technical conversation with Dr. Jenni.

Edited to add: I don't know if you saw the post where I said my husband has read through all of Jenni's book on the preposition beth. For you to suggest that Jenni's work is akin to a concordance shows that you have a big misunderstanding of the nature of his exhaustive work.

Marjorie

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    Alleymom, there is no use to argue with scholar because he is an Apostate and does not want the truth. He even disagrees with his own organization because on page 253 of their Vol.1 Isaiah's Prophecy it plainly shows the 70 years is how long Babylon had World Power. In paragraph 21 last sentence says:"Different Nations come under that dominationat different times.But at the end of 70 years that domination will crumble." The organization is run by Apostates and he is no better.They just made a mistake and told the truth for once.

Alwayshere --- Interesting quote! I've seen it posted here before, but I don't believe I've seen a response. Thanks, Marjorie

• scholar
    scholar

Alleymom

You are indeed a very sweet person and I respect you for your gentleness and your husband is a very lucky man, it is only a pity that other posters do not reflect your fine qualities.Having said this, I missed the fact that you have already given Jenni's contact details and I will contact him this weekend and I will submit a post to Leolaia on Jenni's material.

I am not a scholar of Hebrew nor am I familiar with German so this puts me at a great disadvantage in discussing Jenni's work which is only available in German. Leolaia has provide copies of selected pages where Jenni cites but does not discuss Jeremiah 29:10, form the appearance of these brief references and the manner in which enni presents the material it would seem that enni is merely providing a concordance like presentation of the use of prepositions. In order for me to properly comment on Jenni's material I would need to have his whole work in English and particular a copy of his Foreword wherein he would explain his linguistic methodology. The information that Jenni presents does not disprove the translation 'at' n this instant but it world seem merely advances his own linguistic opinion.

The standard Hebrew grammars and lexicons do not contradict the possible rendering of 'at ' in Jeremiah 29:10 and the context of that letter clearly supports a locative meaning in my opinion.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Aleymom

I have a copy of BDB and I find nothing in it that contradicts the rendering 'at' for the prepostion 'le' as I have read through the pages 510-518 and I agree with you that I need to familarize myself with the subject before writing to Jenni. But my question to Jenni will be very simple with no hint of ambiguity and I intend to follow through with another question in order that the matter is beyond dispute for I believe that apostates have muddied the waters in this respect so it is better to let the dirt settle.

I wish to return to the previous post in connection with the seventy years mentioned in ch. 29. The simple facts are that this letter was written to exiles already in Babylon prior to the Fall of Jerusalem and they were told to awaith not the beginning of the seventy years but the ending of this period which would end their exile. So, the focus of this chapter is not the continuation of the sevnety years but that seventy years would would need to have elapsed before their release from exile. Sure, enough ten yeras later those exiles were joined by the remainder of Judah which saw the land desolated so from that time 607 all of those exiles would see see the fulfillment of seventy years.

This chapter does not discuss or mention that the seventy years had already begun but only its fulfillment or ending and it could have begiun when the entire land was desolated according to Jeremiah 25:11.

scholar JW

• toreador
  • Alleymom
    Alleymom
    Scholar to Alleymom on April 19: You are indeed a very sweet person and I respect you for your gentleness and your husband is a very lucky man, it is only a pity that other posters do not reflect your fine qualities.Having said this, I missed the fact that you have already given Jenni's contact details and I will contact him this weekend and I will submit a post to Leolaia on Jenni's material.

Hi, Neil --

I was wondering, did you ever hear back from Dr. Jenni? If you did receive a reply, I'd really like to know what he said.

Thanks,
    Marjorie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

We both received a response from Jenni on April 28th.

I've been waiting for scholar to post it, but if he doesn't, I'll post Jenni's response.

• toreador
    toreador

Hey, I have been waiting for a response as well. Post that puppy! Inquiring minds want to know.

Tor

• toreador
    toreador

At least tell us whether it was good or bad. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit