DA-ing Announcement in the Society's New Book

by Mark 136 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

They are simply doing WHATEVER they want to do. They'll make up bogus charges, too. It is an evil religion.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Does anyone know of individuals who were never baptised but were df'ed?

In one of my kid's case, they were announced as as an "unapproved associate" or something close to that. She was in her teens and had been out in FS, but hated the religion and wanted out. We went to a JC and they said they would be making the announcement at the next Service Meeting.

Annie

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hmmmm, this explains a lot to me. I know they have some info on us and we've been waiting for the ax to fall for about a month. I'll bet they've been told to wait for this book.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I do not find it disturbing at all. I think it's fantastic.

As sunspot alluded too, if the reasons for expulsion are tightened, their numbers will drop, causing more and more active JWs to ask "what is going on here?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I never expected the Witnesses to be sucessesful at becoming a mainstream religion.. they seem to be going the other way - tightening the reigns. Interesting to see what effect this has on the rank and file.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Mark you are on it. Good work.

XJW: Don't forget the great "sifting" of the early 80's. This was the rallying cry of faithful JWs and tightened up the flock (although it had decreased previously).

The JW sheep will love this. They will rush out to the faders they know and plead them back to the meetings. A few ambiguous "Br. Smith is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" will scare the crap out of the fence sitters.

Will the numbers drop because of this? Yes. But the WTS needs to stop the bleeding and they only know one way to do that.

Insomniac: If they want to disfellowship someone, they will do so, with or without "just" cause, with or without our participation in the judicial process.

You nailed it right there, no more JCs needed. Why bother with the Inquisition when you can get burn 'em at the stake?

WTS is not concerned with saving the marginal members, but they do need the core group under their thumb.

• steve2
    steve2
    I never expected the Witnesses to be sucessesful at becoming a mainstream religion.. they seem to be going the other way - tightening the reigns. Interesting to see what effect this has on the rank and file.

Maybe this is the direction the GB is aiming for. In New Zealand, there's a strict religious group known as Exclusive Brethren who used to do public preaching, but increasingly in recent decades they have become more and more closed in their outlook, and they are very strict: Literally turning up on members doorsteps and demanding (for example) that the wife leave her husband perhaps because he has not attneded church meetings. Rather than "damage" attendance, the Exclusive Brethren have claimed that it is protecting them. Goodness knows there are always huge numbers of parked cars outside their hall every weekend and census figures show this group is still "thriving" despite its closed and intolerant nature.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I've read a lot about the Exclusive Brethern. I think the witnesses are becoming more like them in some ways. For example the Brethern all have to work together per church regulations. In recent years I've noticed that witnesses seem to be doing more secular work together. That's just one example. Its funny how things are changing with them so subtly that they don't seem to even notice it.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

They've been saying that for years about people who are inactive, or miss a lot of meetings. I think they'll use this as a means of getting rid of people they don't like.

When I was a JW I always assumed that people who were df'd were guilty of wrongdoing, usually sex. But I was always a bit intrigued when someone disassociated themselves. "Why would anyone do THAT? We have the TRUTH!!!" I always wanted to talk to a da'd person to find out why. Did they know something I didn't? But I never had a chance to find out.

Maybe there are a lot more people that are finally seeing the WTS for the cult it is, and are leaving of their own accord and the society doesn't want its members to know that. By obscuring the distinction between DF and DA everyone will be happy in their assumption that all who leave are drunken, drug-crazed, demonized fornicators.

Walter

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I think that this is an interesting turn of events.

First - you have to wonder what caused them to add this to their 'toolbox' for expulsion of individuals from their organization. Perhaps a recent court case or two?

Second - as has already been mentioned, since this gives the local 'sheriff' the power to toss out whoever they want... and we all know those in local 'authority' who think they are god's direct representatives... the numbers are going to start declining.

That ought to be interesting to just sit back and watch. Especially since they are sooooo 'number oriented'.

Perhaps not next year... but the year after that, should show some interesting 'numbers' on their membership roles, or lack thereof.

All they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot. No, wait. They've already done that. This time it's a little higher.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit