Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie

by Farkel 747 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• onacruse
    onacruse

Earnest, I appreciate the amount of investigation you've devoted to this topic, and I fully agree with larc when he mentions the civility with which you express yourself; an admirable trait, and a measure of character.

minimus:

I think there are more than a few comments here that raise the same question over and over again.
    The pot calling the kettle black.
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here is what I know about August Henry Balko, Jr., the caretaker of Beth Sarim. His father, August H. Balko, Sr. was born in Germany around 1850 and arrived on October 16, 1873 to New York, and subsequently moved to La Grange, Fayette, Texas where, on December 21, 1887, his son August, Jr. was born. August Jr. also had a sister named Patty. By 1910, August Sr. had moved to Longworth, Fisher County, Texas, whereas August Jr. (now 22) lived at 3150 Beauchamp Street in Houston, Harris County, Texas, and worked as a clerk for Producers Oil Company. He was already a Bible Student by 1917, for in this year he submitted his draft card for the World War with the following exemption: "Millenium Dawnist". I have a copy of his draft card if anyone is interested. Then, by 1920, August, Jr. had moved back to La Grange, Fayette, Texas, where he lived in a boarding house and worked as an agent for a railroad company. The following year he married the future Blanch P. Balko, and they lived together in Texas before giving birth to their first child, Bonnie Balko around December 1929. Then by April 1930, they had moved to San Diego, California, to live at Beth Sarim where August, Jr. worked as general caretaker and Blanch worked as a cook for her family and Rutherford and his entourage. Within a year, the Balkos had a second child, named Joseph Balko. After living at Beth Sarim for an undetermined time, August Balko Jr. moved back to Harris County, Texas, and died on April 15, 1973.

I'm not very sure about Blanch P. Balko's background. One possibility is that she was born Blanch Post, born around 1904-1905, and who lived on a farm in Central, Jefferson County, Missouri. But I have no corroborating evidence that she is the same person as Blanch P. Balko.

• VM44
    VM44

Earnest, thank you for the info about Eckols.

Ken Raines wrote an article about Watchtower Medical Quackery, which is located at:

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/quackery.html

What he writes about chiropractic is interesting:

Chiropractic medicine was started by Daniel Palmer. It sprang from Osteopathy and originally had the same basic philosophy: disease is caused by "subluxations" of the vertebrae of the spine pinching or constricting nerves. Chiropractic "adjustments" of the spine to correct these subluxations was touted to cure many diseases and ailments in the rest of the body. Palmer believed the "life" or "vital" force of life (which he termed the "innate" force) expressed itself through the central nervous system, which could be hindered by subluxations. [13 ]

Many Watchtower Society writers on health were Chiropractors, including A.G. Eckols who treated J.F. Rutherford's pneumonia in San Diego which led to the building of Beth-Sarim so Rutherford could spend more time in a warm, dry climate. [14 ]

Chiropractic has evolved as well through the years. It now has two main branches, usually called the "Mixers" and the "Straights". The straights being of the old school and many are still against vaccinations, drugs, surgery, etc. The mixers (who out number the straights now) now "mix" Chiropractic treatments with an acceptance of orthodox medicine and will refer patients to MDs for many medical problems rather than try and cure diseases through adjusting the spine. [15]

13. Jack Raso, "Alternative" Healthcare A Comprehensive Guide, (Amherst, N.Y.: Prometheus Books), 1993, p. 148.

14. The Golden Age, April 27, 1921, p. 437.

15. Raso, pp. 147-8.

Clayton Woodworth, who was the editor of The Golden Age, was very much against modern medicine, refusing to acknowledge that germs can cause disease.

This goes along with the general rejection of all mainstream institutions by the Watchtower, political, business, religious, medical, and so on.

--VM44

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What a tangled web we weave.

I am amazed at the information that is being linked up in here. Each new piece is offering explanations for how some of the WTS policies got started.

astounding. Than you all so much for this.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

I have been watching this with amazement.

Farkel, Earnest, Athanasius, and Leolaia Thank you for your research. We need more of these threads. Looking forward to your book Athanasius.

Jst2laws

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yes, thanks for all the info here - although I have nothing of substance to add, it makes the reasons why some of us were disfellowshipped peter into insignificance.

• minimus
    minimus

Onacruse, do you care to expound on your comment?

• Farkel
    Farkel

minimus,

: Onacruse, do you care to expound on your comment?

I can't speak for onacrue, but I can say this: you have taken several shits in this thread and contributed nothing, but demanding "proof" that in essense requires semen samples from a woman long dead, and video tapes of the events in question, and at least two living witnesses to the events, or at least a confession from Da Judge himself. A near deathbed confession from one of his mistresses who was afraid of losing her salvation and full family knowledge of Da Judges' adultery was simply NOT proof to you.

Perhaps you also require the Lord God Jehovah to appear to you in person and tell you that Da Judge was guilty as charged.

You never specified what you consider to be Proof and that has allowed you to continue take your shits in this thread.

Shit in your own threads, minimus. Since you have so many of them at any given time, you'll never be constipated.

Farkel

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

FARKEL

THIS THREAD IS HAVING AN UNUSUAL EFFECT ON ME.

MY EARLIEST MEMORIES ARE FROM THE SAN DIEGO AREA. MY MOTHER WAS AN AVID JW.

A LOT OF THINGS MENTIONED HERE BRING UP SOME MEMORIES OF HER CONVERSATIONS.

OFTEN THE MEMORY IS OF A FEELING OR EMOTION COUPLED WITH NAMES AND HOW MY MOM WAS ENAMORED WITH THESE INDIVIDUALS AND THEIR LIVES AND STATEMENTS.

COUPLED WITH THIS ARE THE UNEASY FEELINGS THEY BROUGHT UP IN THIS 5 TO 7 YR. OLD CHILD.

IT WAS LIKE I FEARED THAT SHE LOVED THEM, MORE THAN ME OR MY DAD. EVEN AT THAT YOUNG AGE I HAD A HARD TIME TOLERATING HIGHLY EMOTIONAL PEOPLE.

ON THE OTHER HAND I THINK THIS INFORMATION IS VERY INTERESTING AND USABLE IN DESCRIBING JUST HOW DEMENTED AND IMMORAL THE FOUNDERS OF THE WBTS WERE.

USING THEIR OWN MORAL GUIDE LINES AS PRINTED IN THEIR PUBLICATIONS, TO JUDGE THEIR BEHAVIOUR.

ALL THOSE ON THIS THREAD, THAT PUT ALL THAT EFFORT IN DIGGING UP THIS DOCUMENTATION ARE TO BE COMMENDED.

THANK YOU ALL.

Outoftheorg

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Outoftheborg,

If you would like to, please feel free share some of the memories that you have of the Watch Tower personages mentioned in this thread. I am sure that all of us would appreciate your comments.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit