Is ignorance a choice for Jehovah's Witnesses in todays information age?

by Watchtower-Free 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

When ignorance creates pliable answers to unknowns and there is potent amount of fear supporting that knowledge, self choice is dramatically weaken into submission.

The WTS have worked hard in doing just that to their listening audience .

Exploiting human ignorance framed around a appealing psychosis of fear works to expressively control people toward your own specific means.

In other words control people's minds and you can control their static behavior and actions.   

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Exactly Finky !  When I look back and realise how abysmally ignorant I was as a JW, I realise that because of the mind-control I was that way.

It was not as simple and easy for me to start informing myself about TTATT as it had been throughout my life to inform myself on other matters. The emotional barrier was strong, also the silly argument that "If you have the truth, why look at what is false" kept me in my mental prison.

Yes, put simply, the JW's choose ignorance, but their choice is imposed upon them. Until they can begin to break the chains that bind them they cannot choose to find real Truth,

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    The way the Information Age bombards us with stuff, ignorance is getting to be a harder and harder choice, these days.
  • hoser
    hoser
    Some people would rather stay in the dark.  It's safer for them. 
  • blondie
    blondie
    Choose ignorance?  Should jws or anyone choose ignorance if they know or suspect child sexual/physical abuse, that a husband is beating his wife, that a jw  (or anyone) is stealing, etc.
  • millie210
    millie210

There is a saying that "when the pupil is ready, the teacher will appear" with Jws they have a hard time being "ready" because they are busy running around with unproductive matters designed to keep them going around in circles. 

They view unpleasant incidents as just that...incidents. They dont see it as a widespread and permeating problem. 

So what gets them ready? Its not bombarding with information unfortunately. Its not having the information available (again unfortunately) although that is VERY important for when they begin looking for a "teacher" that it be there waiting.

I think it is just like DOC said. Something has to happen inside their environment that rattles them. Shakes their shoulder just enough to wake them up.

One good thing is that the elders do such a bad job of handling people that more and more of the flock are being put in to that position of forced wakefulness. 

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

Choose ignorance?  Should jws or anyone choose ignorance if they know or suspect child sexual/physical abuse, that a husband is beating his wife, that a jw  (or anyone) is stealing, etc.

Of course! If one is to be a "good" JDubya that is. Gotta wait on the big guy in the sky, y'know?

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers
    MLK said, "nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    As mentioned above, fear keeps cult members from looking for information. One could say it is a FOG that prevents them from seeing: FOG = (fear, obligation, guilt). 
    Fear of the apostate boogeyman, fear of Armageddon, fear of Satan, fear of the “World”, fear of losing God’s blessing, fear of being deceived, ect...
    For many of us who have been out for a while, we’ve lost these fears that are drilled into the cult member by constant indoctrination. But for a long time, these fears kept us from seeking an abundance of information that was at our fingertips. 
    I know for me it took 17 years. 
  • blondie
    blondie
    Note that choosing ignorance is not just something jws do...being a jw is not an excuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit