Is ignorance a choice for Jehovah's Witnesses in todays information age?

by Watchtower-Free 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Watchtower-Free
  • Heisenberg
    Heisenberg
    There is no such thing as choice. It is an illusion.
  • stillin
    stillin

Sounds sort of fatalist, Heisenberg. 

I chose to say that

• Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

I chose to say that

No, you think you did.. but you didn't. What generates thoughts in your mind?

Do you think you have control of what your brain is processing? If that is the case, people could just will themselves better when they are suffering depression. External factors beyond our control have resulted in causal events that impact you daily. From your birth onwards, every event you experience and decision you make is the result of a previous event... most of these outside of your control or even influence.

• galaxie
    galaxie
    As far as I am aware, no one is forced to respond to any post. Choice is the compelling factor ie.. shall I respond or not?
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    Ignorance is the pill, warm and fuzzies is the feeling it gives.
  • steve2
    steve2

Just because a lot of information is available at the press of a key doesn't mean you have to be wilful to ignore it.

Besides, the OP also presumes JWs would be interested enough in other websites to visit them - or feel the urge to visit them but repress it. I don't think so. Those who do so are not your 'garden-variety' Witnesses.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"Ignorance Is A Choice"

In this "information age", I think that is a fair statement. JWs choose to not look into the rumors they hear about their religion. They ignore anything negative as persecution or Satan's machinations.

As long as they are comfortable in their bubble of isolation, they feel safe and protected and loved. Once they are mistreated (unjust Elders, unloving Cong, defrauded by a JW, etc) the blinders tend to slip off a little and they are candidates for awakening. Typically it takes something bad happening to them to start the awakening process.

Doc

• rmt1
    rmt1
    When I parted ways with my then JW friend Mike Stagemeyer, of Palmyra PA, it was unambiguous between us that he was choosing to stay with a lie because it was the correct lie, and I was choosing to be unable to stay with a lie whether or not it was correct. (Hi Mike, how are things.) I have no doubt he is an elder now. I, on the other hand, have no say in what someone watches on tv, does in the bedroom, imbibes, inhales, ingests, wears, says, thinks, etc etc. An admittedly grave loss on my part.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Exactly what DoC said!

I would only add that it is not just when a witness experiences injustice that the eyes open. That certainly assists, but many of us started to open our eyes after seeing parallels to "mind control" groups or similar in movies or in the media in general etc. (think matrix, or satirical news shows etc)

Then we applied the same critical thinking skills to our organization...timidly and with caution admittedly at first! 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit