What are you doing with your Sundays?

by Steve Egner 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Egner
    Steve Egner

Helllloooo everyone,

After reading this board for quite a while, I've finally been moved to post. I was inspired by our trip to the Dallas Apostachilifest, where Princess and I met lots of terrific people in various stages of exit from the J-ho's. Everyone there had a story, many of them quite painful, and this thread isn't intended to minimize their experience in any way. It was a privelege to meet the people whose stories I've read in this forum, and I wish you all the best. The thing that really made the trip for me, though, was hearing about the interests, pursuits, and passions of others. I can still hear Megadude likening a Cozumel drift dive to "flying". His sister Jade, a recent college graduate, overcame her fear of water to become a diver. Her husband Greg lit up when the conversation turned to diving, and the night ended much too quickly. I wish you could have seen the looks on the faces of Valis and Catholic School Girl as they described trout rising to take a fly, or the reverence with which they spoke of their gear and technique. Wild Turkey had me convinced that there must be no better place in the world to party than Shreveport, Louisiana, and I intend to confirm that in person some day. There were a host of other great discussions as well, all of which led me to ask of you, tonight, "What are you doing with your Sunday's?" Most of us have a little more time on our hands, after our eviction from dubdumb. What are you doing with your time, now that you free to spend it as you wish?

The following pictures show what I'm doing with some of my Sundays. I love to scuba dive, and Rachel's brother Randy is my regular dive partner. We travel to a spot about an hour away from Edmonds on Washington's Hood Canal, and shuck oysters on the beach during low tide. This trip, Randy and I dove for crab, adding 5 crab and one huge scallop to the dinner table. Rachel's father, Dave, and another brother, Stephen, shucked several quarts of oysters, and dug up about 4 1/2 gallons of steamer clams as well. The tidal inlet here is home to Bald Eagles, Sea Otters, and lots of other wild critters. Shucking oysters, knocking back a few swimming in Tobasco, sipping cold drinks, shooting the sh**t, solving the world's problems all the while. It is always a great trip, and I wanted to share it with you.

This is me displaying a couple of prime examples of Dungeness crab. First lesson, always grab the backside. Of course, there are a lot of people in Dallas who already know that.

Introducing Dave and his son Stephen, hard at work.

And this is the King Family Offensive line, L to R, Dave, Randy, and Stephen.

Rachel (Princess) and Randy at the dinner table that evening

Stephen and his wife Tracy, struggling with the eternal question, "more oysters, more clams, or more crab?"

Alas, my own children, Zoe and Rhys, could not be persuaded to try oysters, clams, or even crab. They had hot dogs, the universally accepted food for kids.

I hope you folks enjoys these. Now I'm looking forward to reading about you. What are you doing with your Sundays?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, well, and well again!

Hello there, Steve!

Craig (of the "I've-big-assed-bear-hugged-your-boney-body" class)

LOL

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Steve!

Well what a nice surprise and I loved the pictures of the family and crustaceans,lol Those are some really big crabs!

So what am I doing on my Sundays? As of late I'm resting......actually since I'm putting in a few miles during the week on my bike (training for STP) Sunday is my rest day, I can't wait for Sunday to come so I can rest! Yep that's what I do on Sunday, REST!

Nice to see you posting, see ya in a few weeks for the STP ride.

Kate

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Steve,

It's so nice to meet you--thanks for sharing those photos with us. They're great!! Your children are just precious! Ugh to oysters for me TOO!

I do a lot of different things now: I sing with a women's barbershop chorus, go to movies, plays, and out with friends, relax in the morning reading the news and watching the political programs (Tim Russert, etc.), read tons more, and enjoy life!

Pat

• Puternut
    Puternut

Steve, I was floored when I saw your picture. I thought HEY I know that guy. From where?

Oh yeah, it's the guy I met in Seattle and smoked a bong with....lmao

Puternut

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting the pictures of your Sundays.

I used to dread Sundays. They were so hectic. Get up early and underline enough stuff to make it look like I studied my WT. Go to the meeting. Go out in service. Then go to work.

Now, Sundays here in my neck of the woods involves getting up around 9. Heading to our local coffee shop for coffee and a bagel while I read the morning paper. From there, you just never know. The one thing that is certain, I'll be spending it with my partner and/or family. I've especially enjoyed spending time with my nephew. We've seen Shrek 2 twice!

(By the way, I'm with your kids. I'll take a hot dog over oysters/clams/crabs anyday.)

Country

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Glad you finally made it to the keyboard, Steve - using a mouse alone gets a bit old, after a while, huh?

It was great meeting you, and I look forward to the prospect of diving with you, in the future...

• FMZ
    FMZ

Duuude.... it's like... whoa...

Welcome to..... oh man, I've got the munchies. What was I saying? I wonder if I can reach the cookie jar... it seems so far away.

FMZ

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Welcome Steve!

Like others have said, I used to HATE Sundays - trying to find a lame excuse for not being able to go to the meeting, Detesting afternoon ministry (most people were having their dinners and were angry at being disturbed - what was the point!!!). The only good thing about Sundays then were the congregation football matches, or Ice skating.

Sundays are just great these days. Either a trip to the market for a saunter round, or a ride out into the Derbyshire Dales on my motorbike, usually accompanied by a barbeque in one of the many 'beauty spots'. Get up when I feel like and generally enjoy the day!

Bull!

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

welcome steve

i'm having a nice lie in on sundays now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit