brothers, are we eating things sacrificed to idols?

by in a new york bethel minute 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• glitter
    glitter

I didn't think any JWs ate Halal meat, I thought they knew it was "wrong". I know that certainly when I was a kid my school used to have Halal burgers (we only rarely had burgers) as much more than half the kids there were Muslim - and I knew I had to have the veggie option instead (though I turned vegetarian at 11 as I never really liked the taste of meat anyway).

One of my mum's best friends is a devout Muslim and she declines food containing meat at her house (she spoils her guests!).

Adding: I don't know much about what's involved in Kosher law - but I *do* know that when I was younger during the ridiculous hoohah about "blood" in ice-cream (for crying out loud!) JWs used to fall over themselves to get to Marks and Spencer to buy their meat as it's run by Jews so they knew the meat would be "properly bled".

This will be an interesting point to bring up next time I can collar a JW, thanks for the thought-provoking thread.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

glitter,

I didn't think any JWs ate Halal meat, I thought they knew it was "wrong". I know that certainly when I was a kid my school used to have Halal burgers (we only rarely had burgers) as much more than half the kids there were Muslim - and I knew I had to have the veggie option instead (though I turned vegetarian at 11 as I never really liked the taste of meat anyway).

One of my mum's best friends is a devout Muslim and she declines food containing meat at her house (she spoils her guests!).

Must be some other reason than the blood issue, then. Here are a few pages explaining the differences between halal and kosher.

Basically: halal is stricter.

GentlyFeral

• Gopher
    Gopher
    P.S. why doesnt anything bother a Jdub's "bible-trained" conscience unless they are told it's wrong?

That's a very interesting question.

JW's don't have Bible-trained consciences, rather their conscience is subject to the whims of the Brooklyn dictators. Endless rules issued through conventions, publications and travelling overseers either make them feel privately guilty or else force them to "keep up appearances" while secretly wishing to do otherwise or actually leading a double life.

The main thing among the JW's is not to get caught by more than one eyewitness. Then you can maintain your standing among them.

• glitter
    glitter

I didn't think not eating Halal was due to blood, I "knew" (if it *has* been officially banned by the WT - anyone got a WT CD-ROM?) that it was due to the animals being blessed.

One of the article explained how Kosher meat is blessed, I wonder how JWs can be sure their meat product marked Kosher wasn't the first or last to be slaughtered...? And as an earlier poster pointed out, many products carry Kosher labels. I'll have to take this up with a JW like I said. Thanks a lot for the links!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit