brothers, are we eating things sacrificed to idols?

by in a new york bethel minute 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

well, are we??? depends how you categorize that. i know of certain fast-food restaurants that only serve halal meat. If what i've been told is correct, halal meat is meat that has been blessed by a muslim priest (please correct me if i'm wrong). and a lot of witnesses i know go to this restaurant. There is a big sign for everyone to see that this restaurant only serves this type of meat. Also, for food to be truly Kosher, it must be blessed by a rabbi. And witnesses dont have a problem with eating kosher food either. The apostle paul didnt go into detail about what "things sacrificed to idols" means, but if we had meat blessed by a baal-worshipping priest, could we eat that? i doubt it! (not to compare muslims or jews with baal-worshippers...)

BETH-AL

P.S. why doesnt anything bother a Jdub's "bible-trained" conscience unless they are told it's wrong?

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Well, It would be a little hard for an Idol to enjoy a nice piece of meat, so why should we not enjoy it for them??? I will think of this as I enjoy my Filet this evening....And will have a Halala time eating it! Waste not-want not!!!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Oops-my 'Puter 'Pologizes for the double post....

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

You know, you bring up a very good point. To me, it's just further proof that the admonision Peter made to the Christians back them really has NO bearing in life today--it was relevant back then. Why don't the JW's try to take this issue so damned literally like they do their precious blood doctrine. I mean, how do we KNOW we're not eating blood "sacraficed" to idols. I always thought their lack of concern for eating kosher food was inconsistent with their obsession with blood.

I think they should give examples of how that very important (just as important and the abstain from blood admonision) prohibition of "not eating foods sacrificed to idols" is observed by "true Christians" today.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Should have said "food" sacrificed to idols.

But, interestingly the King James version says food "polluted" by idols. That has a very different slant, IMO.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What about taking food that is served up in front of full-size statues of Ronald McDonald and the Colonel? My local Mickey D's and K-F*ck have both.... ;)

• Jahna
    Jahna

Greetings

It is not widely known, but many popular foods you may buy in the supermarket have been blessed by a Rabbi, and labeled as kosher. You will find a lot of it around at Passover time, when Jews are particularly kosher. (that is those Jews who would normally not care less any other time).

Products like Coke for example may have on their label Hebrew symbols which indicate that product has been made, and blessed in Jewish tradition, thus deemed kosher.

I am not sure, but I doubt my JW's actually look at the labels to make sure, or even know about this.

Jahna

• heathen
    heathen

I somehow don't think just because someone says a prayer over some food that it's the same thing as sacrificing to idols . I think it was more about literally killing an animal to please Gods and than eating it as part of a ritual .

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

nyBethelMinute,

well, are we???

Yes. Reverently, respectfully and as often as possible. It's a standard part of a Wiccan service sabbat and is called "Cakes and Wine."

Oh, wait, you weren't talking about paganism, were you? Never mind.

But, seriously, halal and kosher meats have one thing in common: they have been bled. That makes them fit for JW consumption as well.

GentlyFeral

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

1 Cor 8 has Paul declaring that eating things sacrificed to idols is not any issue to him or his god. Acts 15 likewise is saying that avoiding eating things sacrificed to idols and blood might stumble jews who hear "Moses being read " and therefore Pauline Christians were being encouraged to avoid doing it. Read the thread befor this one about eating blood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit