The Passion Christian Hype is Making Me Sick--Thoughts

by blacksheep 38 Replies latest social current

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

Okay, here's my stupid take on it. I regard film as art, or an art form. And I simply see the film as that. In that sense it is extraordinary. If the cinematography alone doesn't winner an Oscar or Golden Globe then something is seriously wrong.

As for people being converted by the movie, it is a highly emotional piece of film and I'm not surprised that it would have that effect on people of weak character and or highly emotive personalities.

As for the violence, I can accept that, too. I believe art should reflect reality. Would Schindler's List have been as powerful without the violence? Would the Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan be the same without the violence? No. So for this art form, film, to be true to its subject sometimes it has to be brutal.

If you want a parallel in the realm of more traditional art I'd refer you to Picasso's Guernica -- it's a horrid landscape of pain and suffering because that's the only way the artist could convey the reality.

P.S. Maybe I should have prefaced this all by saying I believe that the freedom of speech and expression are absolute rights. If anyone is interested in reading an interesting take on the work of a censor, can I suggest you read Areopagitica by John Milton? Milton and I differ on some aspects of the need of a censor; it is worth reading.

I think this link has a free version you can read: http://www.bartleby.com/3/3/

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

That all sounds like media hype to me , with the killers and robbers turning themselves in . Still haven't seen it and still don't plan on it .

Yeah, that's generally the thought I had. It's as though "it's a miracle" all over again. Any connection with the criminals who were crucified at the same time as Jesus was?

One of the spins that some religious groups have put on the stats, basically that it's mostly males between 20-35 (or whatever) who are going to see the movie is that "young men are wanting to find God, find faith." Personally, I don't buy that. I think they are going to see it because of its being termed one of the most violent films of all time, etc. THAT, IMO, is what is bring these guys in. Not some desire for religous experience.

I saw it alone and told my husband, who's always up for a good, violent movie, to skip it. But then again, as I said when I started this thread, I don't understand some people's reaction to it. And I think I'm starting to understand it a bit more, and hopefully opening my mind to other people's deep religious convictions (even if I don't have them).

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

My nerves are too shot to see a movie like that--everyone I see it says it is very bloody--no thanks. Want to know a secret though? When I used to be a practicing JW I always sort of envied those I knew in the community that were Christian/born agains or whatever. They really seemed to emotionally moved by their faith and besides that they got to wear their regular clothes when they worshipped at their churches and looked like normal people..They got to sing too--cool Jesus songs and play guitars and whatever. My point is I never had that real heartflet Jesus love thing going on--it was all very mechanical for me. I would have like a little more Jesus passion in my life, but don't think I will get it from watching this movie or anything else at this point. The WT did a good job in wiping out any good feelings I would have about that kind of spirituality.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I haven't seen it yet, not sure if I will. I came close a couple of times but changed my mind and saw something else. I just can't make up my mind about it yet.

I will guess though that it would be better to see it on a big screen with surround sound and an audience as apposed to a small 27" tv.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

They got to sing too--cool Jesus songs and play guitars and whatever. My point is I never had that real heartflet Jesus love thing going on--it was all very mechanical for me. I would have like a little more Jesus passion in my life, but don't think I will get it from watching this movie or anything else at this point. The WT did a good job in wiping out any good feelings I would have about that kind of spirituality.

Ditto to that (as I said above!). Last Chrismas I bought Mariah Carrey's "gospel Xmas". Waay cool. I love a lot of good 'ol down south gospel music.

JW's would cringe. Ugh. You know, they DO seem to identify with Puritanism, the restraint and all. Emotions, are just too threatening.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

about the press... ABC had a bit on GMA a few days ago, reporting that a baby died and came back to life, a miracle which they tied to this movie, but in order for viewers to believe this, the "fact-checker" they interviewed said the robbers who confessed weren't really real, but the baby was.

How stupid, what can you expect from mainstream newsmedia, I guess.

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

I haven't seen it. Don't know if I want to. My brother saw it a few weeks ago, said that it didn't *move* him. Said that if you want to go see a guy get a two hour beating, then go see the movie.

• berten
    berten

Instead of wasting your dollars and time on this 2 hour snuff-movie,go see

The South Park episode "ThePassion Of The Jew" at your nearest TV...

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-344/epid-319439/

• donkey
    donkey

Serves Jesus right for watching as millions of helpless children starve to death or die of diseases in 3rd world countries.

He could help them - but he chooses to stroke himself by saying it is all done to prove that Satan is a liar.

I am supposed to think God loves me now? Why didn't he show love to the suffering children then?

Simple answer: it's all BS!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit