The Passion Christian Hype is Making Me Sick--Thoughts

by blacksheep 38 Replies latest social current

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    For me whenver I think of going, or going to church I get nauseous. I get all clammy and feel my stomach drop...will this ever end. With Easter coming up I want to go to church with my grandbaby but I just feel sick. How does one seperate themselves from a cult without it including seperating from God???

just a side note... (since I've never been a JW, but I've read about the "fear" ex-jws have regarding entering any churches)... Actually, Christmas and Easter are the two best times of the year to "dip your toe in the water" so to speak in going to a Christian church. The services, music, etc. are usually the best ones of the year and are uplifting to be at... very positive. Watch some reputable televsion services to get started (not the wackos). Joel Olsteen of Lakeside Church from Houston is very good. All his services are positive and uplifting. (just a thought)

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

It may be something from their childhood, which they've ignored since, but the emotional roots have to be there (unlike most JWs, who often have a theological belief in Christ but not an emotional connection with his character).

You've nailed it. I am not sure to what extent I am still influenced by the JW upbringing. But yes, you are absolutely right that JWs systematically take all the emotion and mystery out of religion and the Bible. Everything must be "logical" (of course, with their own particular screwed up version of logic).

That's NOT the essence of religion/faith. Which is part of the reason that I never made a connection to God/Jesus, or whatever divine being people believe in. Chalk another thing up to how JW's deprive people of normal human experiences.

I basically an agnostic: not sure if I would have had a different belief system if I hadn't been raised as a JW. But it would have been nice to have a choice.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Okay...just took a long, relaxing bath...now I think I realize why I am confused. I really do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Crhist. I don't believe he was God, the son of God, etc. I think he was a wonderful, visionary man with incredible leadership who inspired people to follow him.

I think people who are really moved by this movie MUST believe in Christ's divinity to begin with.

It's hard for us people who were RAISED as JW's to sort out our true beliefs. Bear with me.

Yeppers, I think this is probably key to your not being taken with the movie. Good insight with yourself. I think it's a great movie.

Berten

A lot more people are into SM than they care to admit if they are so "moved" after seeing this SadoMasochistic SufferFest of a movie.

I mean what's so Spiritual in seeing a man flogged and beaten with blood spurting any which way,then seeing him nailed to a piece of wood?

Sorry but there must be something seriously wrong with anyone finding this "Spiritually Uplifting".

This overhyped movie has nothing to do with spirituality,but more with repressed sexuality that comes

out anyway via the more "accepted" way of pain and suffering of a sexless penisless Jesusfigure...

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it...I'm entitled to MY opinion...my opinion is there is something seriously wrong with you.
  • blacksheep
    blacksheep

For me whenver I think of going, or going to church I get nauseous. I get all clammy and feel my stomach drop...will this ever end. With Easter coming up I want to go to church with my grandbaby but I just feel sick. How does one seperate themselves from a cult without it including seperating from God???

What makes me nauseous is the thought of going to a Kingdom Hall. Not all churches are like that: they actually have WINDOWS, some very beautiful stained glass and artwork all designed to get you to thinking about God/heaven/spirituality. As I said earlier, what helped me to get rid of this religious/church phobia that's instilled in all JWs is to go to religous museums, sit inside a gorgeous cathedral, just "experience" and appreciate the beauty. Kingdom Halls and the meetings are designed to separate anything beautiful, mystical from their dry analysis of the JW material.

Not sure if you have a choice, but it might help to select a non-denominational group (?). I've been to a few church services just for the experience, and believe me, they were NOTHING like the Kingdom Hall/JW meetings.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

As a counter point to this, Monty Python is re-releasing their movie "The Life of Brian". I read this on Yahoo news, but couldn't find the link.

If I get to go see this, I am going to dress up like an apostle or other period costume.

Remember to always look on the bright side of life...

• avishai
    avishai
    Please, can you explain to me why Shindler's List didn't inspire such actions?

Who says it did'nt?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Ahhh, the wisdom from above, I am not surprised some here are "puzzled."

I am amazed at the stories of robbers, killers and other criminals that are coming forth and confessing after seeing the Movie.

That is a good thing, right?

Spirituality is on the increase, and I pray it will continue.

• avishai
    avishai

So, ThiChi, you goin' to the regular "spiritual experience" in aug.?

• heathen
    heathen

That all sounds like media hype to me , with the killers and robbers turning themselves in . Still haven't seen it and still don't plan on it . I did see some exerpts from mel gibson interviews and can tell that mel took some creative license and was trying to add catholic opinion in the garden scene for one . It just seems so lame and foney .

• DIM
    DIM

We received a stupid postcard with an advertisement for the movie...from a local church. I find it extremely ironic that these same churches got all bent out of shape over DOGMA and George Carlin's BUDDY CHRIST, and now they are essentially doing the same thing...

Did you hear about the new JESUS doll? It really bleeds! AWESOME!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit