The Passion Christian Hype is Making Me Sick--Thoughts

by blacksheep 38 Replies latest social current

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Okay. I've seen the Passion. Thought I'd be moved. It supposedly has changed people's lives, caused them to confess sins (actually turned themselves in as criminals), etc.

Please, can you explain to me why Shindler's List didn't inspire such actions? Let's look at another way. If you watched a film depicting incredible torture on Joe Blow, an upstanding guy whose done nothing but help people throughout their lives...would you be so moved???

I think this movie was simply about horrible acts on another human being. Unfortunately, that has occurred almost non-stop throughout human history.

Why people are suddenly being "converted" to Christianity by seeing this brutality, I cannot understand.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Nothing to add, but I don't get many chances to agree with you, so I thought I take the opportunity. I don't get it either.

• wednesday
    wednesday

well just speakig for me only, it gave life to the account in the Bible. JWS are always so "dry' with their version of it, not really telling u what jesus actually endured. I was stunned into complete silence when i saw this movie. I can away feeling very quiet at first, then i went to my Bible an read the gospel accounts again. For some reason seeing it on a large sceen, well it made it real. god allowed his son to endure all this for our sake. i felt a deep feeling of gratitude after seeing it. I felt that if jesus could endure all that, i certainly could endure whatever blows life deals me. It gave me strength to carry one. It made the bible come alive. Who among us would have endured that for another person? But jesus did endure it for us. i feel vey humbled by it. It was not a conversion for me, i already believed. It did however impress upon me the terrible ordeal jesus endured. It returned Jesus to my faith. something JWS had taken away.

• gumby
    gumby
    It supposedly has changed people's lives, caused them to confess sins (actually turned themselves in as criminals), etc.

Yes....religion and christianity has certainly made the world a better place to live.I know it's made my life wonderfull.

Gumby

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

well just speakig for me only, it gave life to the account in the Bible. JWS are always so "dry' with their version of it, not really telling u what jesus actually endured. I was stunned into complete silence when i saw this movie.

I can appreciate that. In fact, the key reason I went to the movie was BECAUSE of my JW upbringing. I thought maybe I would have a religous experience that would spark some spirituality. I did not.

I actually got more spiritual feelings by traveling though Europe and going to Cathedrals/Museums From the Passion, I DO recall the image of Mary holding her dead son...that was done well. But really, I got more feeling from seeing it depicted in scuptures by MichaelAngelo... maybe that's why I don't get it.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Okay...just took a long, relaxing bath...now I think I realize why I am confused. I really do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Crhist. I don't believe he was God, the son of God, etc. I think he was a wonderful, visionary man with incredible leadership who inspired people to follow him.

I think people who are really moved by this movie MUST believe in Christ's divinity to begin with.

It's hard for us people who were RAISED as JW's to sort out our true beliefs. Bear with me.

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes it is confusing. Jws believe he was a man, the son of God. But not an incarnation of God. But he did not have a human sperm donor, according to the bible, God planted the seed in Mary's womb. So he has to be divine of some sort. All major christian religions teach the trinity. But there are varying degrees of belief in the trinity, and if i was choosing one, i'd say, God, Jesus and the holy spirit are one in unity, not in a single being. that could be the only way i could understand it. However, most churches teach that God himself came to earth and died for us. I don't get that from the bible, i get that he sent his son, and he died. they also of course believe Jesus is God. I just , maybe b/c of jws upbring, cannot accept that. I see him as God's son. divine in his own right.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I posted on this topic earlier. I did see the Passion and thought it was a very graphic portrayal about the last few days of Jesus. I saw it with a bunch of Fanatical Christians and some were crying through the whole show. However I didn't make any brownie points when I was asked about the movie and I said I had my own thoughts on the Jesus story. Its just a good story like "Goldilocks and the Three Bears". One can believe it they choose to but choose not to.

Will

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    I think people who are really moved by this movie MUST believe in Christ's divinity to begin with.

I think that's exactly the point; not necessarily at a theological level, but at an emotional one. For people to have been moved by the Passion, they must have had an emotional investment in the Christ story to begin with. It may be something from their childhood, which they've ignored since, but the emotional roots have to be there (unlike most JWs, who often have a theological belief in Christ but not an emotional connection with his character).

• gumby
    gumby
    However I didn't make any brownie points when I was asked about the movie and I said I had my own thoughts on the Jesus story.

I have learned one must tread lightly in this area. I have shocked a few myself by my replies on related matters and have learned sometimes it's best to act like a dub who is asked 'if they had a nice christmas'. Just be vauge but nice.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit