Why are JW talks & publications never uplifting?

by thedepressedsoul 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    They had a perfect opportunity to up build during the Zone (zoned out) meeting. They had over 1 million people listening and the final talk was on tight pants, 23 yr. old MS's, and Spanx? With all the problems everyone is facing, this is what they choose to discuss?

I brought this up when my in-laws were talking about the zone visit.  I've been pretty open about my stance that AMIII was making pharisiacal rules and going beyond the things written.  My father-in-law's only rebuttal was that "we were getting a window into what it's like a bethel - it's a whole different world and they have to set higher standards so that the world can't pick out any flaws."  Even when I emphasize that they had an unprecedented opportunity to build up 1 million JWs all at once, and they squandered it he sticks to this.  Basically it was a privilege for us to get to see more of them and they shouldn't have to change anything for us.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Why are JW talks & publications never uplifting?

What, are you talking about ?

• Londo111
    Londo111
    It's a cult. Guilt and fear are the two primary emotions that cults use. 
  • millie210
    millie210

I think it has to do with a basic mental premise that FUN = SIN

So working backward, the more somber things are, the more "righteous" they are.

Then when you put that basic mindset in to the hands of power hungry Pharisaical leaders. you get the talk outlines and publications! 

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder
    they had an unprecedented opportunity to build up 1 million JWs all at once, and they squandered it  - oneeyedjoe

I agree 100% with this and what toesup said. This could have been a "Sermon on the Mount" moment, and he talks about bright socks and tight pants. It is not only telling of what they have to offer in the way of actual spiritual enlightenment, it is just plain stupid. You have over a million people (customers)  willing to listen to you, and this is what you talk about. You couldn't make this stuff up.

-TE

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I got tired of hearing the same regurgitated garbage every week. Eventually I learned to just shut of my brain for the two hours or so i was in there. I would almost guarantee that if I went to a meeting now even though I have not being in a KH for 20 years, it will still be the same BS I heard 20 years ago. I can't believe that more are not that bright to figure this out.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If your down and need some uplifting,  sing an old JW song

" We are Jehovah's Witnesses, we stand out like idiots "

That will surely bring a smile to your face and up lift your spirits !  

• Naoscillator
    Naoscillator
    The org. is proud of having shifted from more challenging, "deep" material to articles that are focused solely on behavior modification. They seem to start with the application and work backwards to find scriptural support, and even if none is found, the Bible is bent, twisted, and shaped any way the GB sees fit to get the desired result. It seems like an article or talk of pure commendation or even reflection on the good things in life is frowned upon as mere "ear tickling". You tell people they are good and clean already, and they won't get up and do more!
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just before I finally walked away, it struck me that the JW religion was an entirely arid Spiritual Desert.

I don't believe any JW leaves a Meeting feeling anything good, save perhaps for a feeling that he/she has done the "right thing" by being there.

Most only attend for social reasons, and enjoy a gossip with friends after the Meeting, 99.99999% tune out when the actual Meeting is on.

The lack of uplifting stuff in the literature is a big mistake, long may they continue to make it.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Ya know - we're all on the bandwagon here, but thinking about this I recall that our last CO actually did give a few talks that were somewhat up building.  He said things I'd never heard from the platform before.  Among them was something like 'you know we sometimes get down on ourselves because we know we could do this better or do more of that, but when you really look at it, we're already so much better than those in the world.  We're already doing good so you don't need to be so harsh on yourselves.'  Obviously this is still skewed in the direction of "the whole world is evil" but it was literally the only time I've heard a CO give a talk and didn't give us a single thing to 'do better' on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit