Why are JW talks & publications never uplifting?

by thedepressedsoul 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I was sitting at the meeting the other night and for the first time it hit, JW talks or magazines are never uplifting! I rarely, if ever hear a talk or read a magazines and have it give nothing but praise to “Jehovah’s servants” or just praise Jehovah and Jesus throughout it. They never just a read through the bible or just a bible story explained or told. There is always, 100% of the time a catch or a “lesson” attached to it.

Even on the new broadcasting with family worship. It is always council and direction. Can you remember a Watchtower study on a Sunday that didn't have some lesson, warning or harsh council for everyone? Or better yet a Sunday talk that just explained a chapter or told a biblical account with joy without some warning or lesson attached to it of do’s and don’ts.

I don’t know how I never missed that before, but it literally just dawned on me that EVERYTHING, books, magazines, talks, service, Kingdom Ministry are all counsel and do’s and don’ts!

Are all religions like that? Heck, even in school they just teach a story or history without trying to engrave something in your brain! 

• Simon
    Simon

They are intended to beat people down and make them feel unworthy and needing to do more.

No one comes out of a Kingdom Hall skipping and thinking "YES!!! What a life, all the things we can accomplish today !!!"

It's all doom and gloom and "you're not worthy SINNER!"

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

I know. It is even par-for-the-course to read a scripture during a part and just ask "Now what can we learn from this?" and let the audience guilt themselves for about 5 minutes of all the things they "should" be doing based on that verse. They are that well trained.

The watchtower lesson is sickening with how it starts off every study article with some scriptural reference or story-telling only to beat you over the head by paragraph 14. Raw manipulation. 

-TE

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    The watchtower lesson is sickening with how it starts off every study article with some scriptural reference or story-telling only to beat you over the head by paragraph 14. Raw manipulation. 

Haha, you know, that actually crossed my mind 2 Sunday's ago during the blood Watchtower. In my mind I could not figure out how we ended up on the blood topic with how the Watchtower started. Full 360 on what started. 

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Perpetually guilty people are easier to manipulate.  If someone's beaten down enough they lose the self-confidence to question or to act in their own interests at the expense of leadership.  

Haha, you know, that actually crossed my mind 2 Sunday's ago during the blood Watchtower. In my mind I could not figure out how we ended up on the blood topic with how the Watchtower started. Full 360 on what started.

Yeah, I was quite perplexed myself.  The title was something about being holy, and to read the article you'd think that the majority of what it takes to be holy is rejecting a blood transfusion.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The JW are a typical mass movement:

"Here, as elsewhere, the technique of a mass movement aims to infect people with a malady and then offer the movement as a cure. 

Mass movements are usually accused of doping their followers with hope of the future while cheating them of the enjoyment of the present."
    Eric Hopper
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Pretty much what Simon said,  I'll add that the WTS makes it known that the ENTIRE world outside of their organization is wicked and evil and the people who are not JWS will be accordingly destroyed soon for their behavior.

From that awareness and acknowledgment what kind of person would be happy from hearing that kind of information ?

The WTS used to push the end was coming so soon that there were actually a few JWS who committed suicide thinking they weren't worthy.    

Its no wonder many JWS are depressed and anguished ???

If it isn't guilt being pushed onto them to do more work in service which is expressed as saving people's lives as it were, its the over whelming oppression that gets imposed onto them from the elders peering into their personal lives.  

• New day
    New day
    My wife and I were just discussing the midweek meeting and how boring the book study was. She said that she couldn't understand why we couldn't study something refreshing and positive!
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

They had a perfect opportunity to up build during the Zone (zoned out) meeting. They had over 1 million people listening and the final talk was on tight pants, 23 yr. old MS's, and Spanx? With all the problems everyone is facing, this is what they choose to discuss? 

If you go into a sales pitch and conclude on a negative note, you won't sell much! I wonder if their donation boxes suffered that weekend. Seemed like alot of people were disturbed over that talk.

The one thing that keeps us going is that they will NEVER receive any more of our donations, time or energy. Now we can spend it on having a GREAT life!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Salvationists creed, you are wonderful, but a worthless sinner in need of redemption you can't get on your own. One of the oldest snake oil sales since the last ice age 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit