Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

by SM62 197 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, Sirona, I am lumping all metaphysicians together in a group called "metaphysicians".

The word metaphysician comes from the greek and means "behind nature."

Do you believe in god, angels, demons or "life" after death? If so, I would describe your beliefs as metaphysical.

Invisible, non-material, consciousness? Ain't no such thing.

No one has yet demonstrated the "laws" that govern this imaginary realm. That's because in dreams, just like RoadRunner cartoons, anything goes.

"Real" things can be demonstrated and real experiences can be duplicated. Reality is consistent and reliable, not "impossible". If something is impossible, maybe it isn't real.

What is the nature of this mysterious threshold that somehow excludes laboratories from "the real world"? A laboratory is as real as a living room, a church, an alchemist's lair, a witches den, or a shaman's hut.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

As I've being doing this (discussing the reality of the paranormal) for sometime (since '97) now, I've noticed a few common features of these discussions.

1/ No evidence supporting the existence of the standard range of claimed paranormal powers (like distance viewing) or paranormal events (like Creation) is ever presented that would be acceptable to conventional scientists. It is all anecdotal, replete with the fogginess of pseudoscinece, or downright and provably wrong.

2/ The opposite sides of the arguments use totally different paradigms in reaching their conclusions.

3/ People very rarely change their opinion.

4/ Those that do believe often believe outside of a historical context.

By that last one I mean;

People have seen things in the sky for a long time. It used to be giants and beasts and armies, as this is what peoples heads were filled with. When their heads were filled with images of a new scientific age and speculation about non-divine extra-terrestial intelligence, they saw UFOs.

People have told tales of strange creatures for millenia. You'd not have to look to far back in time to find completely serious accounts of tribes of men with no heads, their eyes and mouths being in their torsos, or of a tribe where they all had one massive foot and hopped everywhere. The creatures have changed, and there are people who will laugh at the old stories whilst believing equally credible ones still in circulation.

There used to be hundreds of supersticions, silly things about pregnant women and milk, or what you had to do if you spilled salt. Many are now too silly to be believed by anyone. But there are still supersticious beliefs surviving, despite the fact flouting them causes no harm, just as no harm ever came from someone failing to throw salt over their shoulder.

The hundreds of thousands of people killed for practising a paranormal power (withcraft) were all innocent. It is quite likely that those who today say they practise witchcraft are equally innocent of any real activity.

5/ 'Believers' are normaly unaware of what poor eye witnesses humans make, and unaware of things like the psychomotor effect which means the most sincere person in the world can think they have a 'power' when in fact they don't.

6/ Often, people believe hastily; Tarot is originally an Italian card game with no prophetic functions whatsoever. The cards were adopted as colourful props for fortune telling routines. Go back three hundred years and the 'ancient art' of casting tarot didn;t exist. The shapes of the constellations used in Astrology are a/ the 2 dimensional image we see and b/ in a different place and shape to where they were when people first started using them. The stars have an imaginary (or rather had an imaginary) shape when viewed in 2D from the ground. If viewed in 3D, a star that appears right next to another star when viewed from Earth may actually be 10,000 light years away from it.

7/ Any requests for evidence are often seen as stuck-up and/or aggresive and/or sneering by the pro-paranormal lobby.

8/ The anti-paranormal lobby thinks the pro-paranormal lobby are silly.

9/ Supporters of the parnormal will distinguish themselves from others when no measurable distinction exists. E.g.; "I'm a Muslim, we are God's chosen people" vs. "I'm a Jew, we are God's chosen people; "I'm a Roman Catholic, I don't have any supersticious beliefs, (excuse me, I have to go to mass and eat Christ)"; "Ah, it's silly to believe David Ikce and his idea about the Reptiloid invaders... I mean, there's strong evidence for greys and a smaller species, but they're not reptilian, he got that from a TV series". "Oh, I gave up on mainstream religions - after you get out of a cult you can't believe in the nonsence they teach. Right now I'm trying to contact the spirit of my dead puppy".

10/ There never is any evidence of the paranormal. Yes, I know that's also 1/, but it's such a good one I thought I'd make it twice.

I think it's bloody obvious we don't know it all. There might be some foundation in some claims of paranormal ability. But nothing has been proved. If people could tell the future acurately and usefully, they would. They don't. If people could heal reliably and effectively, we wouldn't have to discuss whether they could or not because it would be obvious they did. If people could see things remotely, then they would become super rich overnight. It really is that simple, but as (if you are pro-paranormal) you are using a different paradigm to arrive at your conclusion, I don't expect you to agree with me, in fact, it's quite unlikely you will believe me. Believe in ESP ghosts and aliens, yes. In what I say, no.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Why give humans the power and the incredible desire and drive to have sex -- and then destroy them for even "looking at someone with a passion" - does not make sense to me either

• berten
    berten

>I'm a skeptic and don't believe in any special powers. I believe in coincidences though. If a special power was real

But *what* is "real"?

>then it could be validated by a controlled test. So far that hasn't happened...

And it never will,because a "skeptic" also *believes*:

He believes that "paranormal" things cannot happen,so they do not exist in his belief -"matrix".

(Why is a skeptic's house never haunted?)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    The fact that inanimate objects (objects with no bio-energy) produce a corona when filmed in this manner lead me to believe the scientific explanation.

Well, Doc, think about this....inanimate objects: tables, chairs, plants, etc. (made or consisting of organic or living things) produce a corona because.....they actually have a life force?

FB

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nathan:Someone has a burr up their ass, this morning.

I invite you to "lighten up!"

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

That's called an "ad hominem attack," Little Toe.

When you can no longer argue your position effectively, accuse the other side of having a burr up their ass.

Berten, are you suggesting that supernatural talents have been demonstrated and that the evidence was rejected out of hand by skeptics? Details, please.

As Abaddon said, if any such supernatural talents REALLY existed, there would be a mountain of substantiating evidence. Yet there is none. Are there record of strange or unexplainable things? Yes. But it is quite a leap to go from "something odd happened to me" to "I can tell you how god wants you to live" or "I have magical powers" (that just happen to be useless.)

FOOTNOTE:

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, his circumstances, or his actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
    Person B makes an attack on person A.
    Therefore A's claim is false.
    The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You really are completely missing the point.
    I've been smiling to myself, all morning, at your antics.

You're taking something personally, that was not intended as such.

Try re-reading my comments to you, on this thread, in the light of the friendly chuckle that was emanating from my throat. I like ya, Nathan, and you're not normally so tetchy. Summat up?

Besides, it wasn't me who used partial quoting, to avoid the question asked of them

• shotgun
    shotgun

How about these special powers which personally are the only ones I have ever seen.

Some people have:

The ability to see the best in others.

The capability to love unconditionally.

The compassion to help anyone in need.

The gift of being able to make others feel better about themselves.

The generosity to not only say but do things which affect people on a personal level.

There are many, many more things which I consider to be greater gifts or abilities than esp or fortune telling.

I'm always amazed at ones who claim to have special powers and they bend spoons and forks with this great gift...WOW. Can they bend plastic and wooden utensils as well or are they like Magneto.

I have had many friends claim to have seen unexplainable things so I won't say there is nothing out there, but there sure is no concrete evidence or even substantial proof or evidence to support the claims.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I admit that there is the eye fatigue effect, but that isn't the aura and that isn't what people mean when they talk about seeing auras. When I see an aura, I can move my eyes around easily whilst looking at it, I can walk around the person, they can move, whatever. The aura sometimes shimmers and moves, but usually it is like a second skin extending inches from their body.

This is it exactly. I was helping a group to see auras one time, and after just a few minutes everyone (5 others) could see them too. One strange thing happened when one of them moved suddenly, the aura stayed for a fraction of a second, and then moved onto the person again. We all saw it happen and laughed.

One of my cousins could see auras when he was little and often talked about the pretty colors around people. We were all JW's so he was talked out of seeing them. I've heard people who are more knowledgable about these things say that children see them but forget how to do it.

I think you just access another part of your brain that normally isn't aware, to do it. (feeble explanation, but it makes sense to me............otherwise I would see them all the time, not just when I look for them)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit