Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

by SM62 197 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby
    But having said that, the last time there was a post about people who have had strange experiences, or had seen a ghost or something, there were so many who had seen strange things. They can't all be liars can they?

Hi terri,

I also have in the past started threads concerning proof of ghosts, spirits, weird happening and such. Nearly all stories are told with only one witness. Rarely is a story told in which two or more have said they saw a CLEAR figure, heard a CLEARLY audible voice with nobody else around, etc. Many truely think they see and hear things. Some are dreams, some are mind games. People don't always lie about these things as many truely believe they saw or heard something.

What is depressing about all these stories is, there is never a recording, or a TRUE photo, or a GROUP, who can undeniably attest they ALL saw something that was clearly a supernatural event. That's the problem with the paranormal, god, ghosts, spirits, demon, whatever. Never any proof.

Gumby

Gumby

• aniron
    aniron

Maybe God forbade such people with "special powers" because he knew that they would start to have influence over peoples lives. Look at the number of people today whose lives are based on what their astrologer says. Or what they have been told by some medium or ther means. Or what the Tarot cards tell them.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think there are many things we just can't explain. For example, I dreamed the other night that a friend was engaged. She had been in a long term relationship and I did know they would eventually get engaged, but I dreamed it one night. The next day, she called me, saying he gave her a ring the night before. Coincidence, .............maybe.

All of us have probably had the experience of thinking about someone we hadn't heard from in a long time, and the phone rings, and guess what? It is that person. I think that likely there are thought waves that do travel and connect. (simplified explanation) It happens pretty often to me, and I don't think I have any special gifts...............but I can see auras.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Auras? I think most people can see them. But it's probably not what you think. When you stare (directly or indirectly) at an object, epecially when it contrasts greatly with the background, retinal fatigue starts to kick in. This causes the object to be slightly visible (for a brief moment) even when you close your eyes. It also causes an apparent "field" to grow around the object. This only works when you keep your eyes stationary. If you move them, the object is moved to a different part of your retina and you have to stare at it for a while before the "aura" will reappear.

But to get back on topic, I'm a skeptic and don't believe in any special powers. I believe in coincidences though. If a special power was real then it could be validated by a controlled test. So far that hasn't happened.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    When you stare (directly or indirectly) at an object, epecially when it contrasts greatly with the background, retinal fatigue starts to kick in.

That isn't how I do it. I have to think about seeing the aura, or I don't consciously see it. When someone asks me what color their aura is, or how big it is, I definitely just look at them, and it is there. Some people have big auras that go far out from their bodies, and others have tiny ones that skim the edges of their body. Many different colors too. I have found the most common color is yellow. My husband's is blue and my mother's is large and yellow.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What did mankind do when he discovered the power of the atom? I think that is your answer.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

SM62,

You asked,

How do you know this? How do you account for all the weird sightings around the world? Are you saying the millions of people over the centuries who have had paranormal experiences such as seeing dead people are lying? Or are they all mad? I don't really know what to believe, but I always keep an open mind.

It is funny, knowing what we know of psychology, that people are so willing to believe that they are unimpeachable witnesses of supernatural events in the world outside their heads, rather than accept that emotional states, hallucinations, hypoxia, etc., could easily explain their experiences.

Do you believe in "cause and effect," or do you believe that we live in a world where "stuff happens" that is completely contrary to the rules of the real world that we depend on each day: when preparing breakfast, for example.

It may be tempting to believe that a world exists with no apparent rules, no apparent principle of cause and effect. Really, if you accept this baloney, how do you get through the day intact? How do you know that any particular experience is in the REAL world, and not simply the result of a supernatural deception? How do you know that the next time you pick up a pencil, it won't turn into a snake? ..or that you won't suddenly become quite tiny and fall into the ocean of coffee in your coffee cup? Or that your kitchen window won't start a conversation with you while your refrigerator dances the jig? These things might not be unexpected or impossible if there was a supernatural world. Do your dead relatives care so little for you that they won't tell you what the next XEROX-like stock will be, but they keep reminding you of the puppy who ran across a meadow?

I'm glad to hear that you have an open mind and are willing to consider that THIS world is IT.

I know that there is no spirit realm populated with any sort of intelligent, invisible, immaterial beings simply because there is no evidence of such a realm.

The principle of analytical thought known as "Occam's Razor" suggests that when there are multiple "explanations" for an event, it is likely that the simplest explanation is most accurate. In other words, why create an entire imaginary world to explain that you had a dream?

(for more about Occam's Razor, see http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html)

All (ALL!) of the progress of the human race has been the result of man's mind (analytical thought) and man's back (labor).

No supernatural manna has ever come from the great beyond, no miraculous city has descended from heaven.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I know but I'm not gonna tell yall, cause yall wouldn't believe it anyway.....but here's a clue.....it isn't God himself that's jealous of God-given extra-sensory powers in humans that might distract us from God's "word".....

Frannie B

• wednesday
    wednesday

My hubby and i once saw a cloud of black smoke go through our bedroom wall. We were in the adjoining bath and both getting a shower. I saw it first, and called his attention to it, and we both did see it at the same time. It just floated through the wall, and that was it.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    That isn't how I do it. I have to think about seeing the aura, or I don't consciously see it. When someone asks me what color their aura is, or how big it is, I definitely just look at them, and it is there. Some people have big auras that go far out from their bodies, and others have tiny ones that skim the edges of their body. Many different colors too. I have found the most common color is yellow. My husband's is blue and my mother's is large and yellow.

Interesting Mulan. Do you instantly see it or does it take several seconds to appear? If it is basically instant then you're right... basic retinal fatigue would not explain it. I wonder why these auras can't be captured with any sort of photographic equipment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit