Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

by SM62 197 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

VM44:
    You may also find the following link helpful:

http://www.dictionary.co.uk/search.php?query=metaphysics

Yeru:Agreed, another case for freewill. Btw, most of those pages are dross (with Nathan and I being silly). It shouldn't take a long read, unless you're in a mood to be amused

• VM44
    VM44

I am going to wade right on in now, in order to get people's comments.

One problem with believing that some people have "special powers" is that there are fakes and phoney's who will make claims in order to get publicity and money.

Take for instance the famous "spoon bender" Uri Geller. He has been, since at least the 1970s, bending spoons, making stopped mechanical watches start up again, and doing other things to amaze people. He has gathered quite a bit of magazine, book and television attention, and is a world famous person.

But......

According to James Randi, everything Uri has done can be done, and done better, by some professional magicians, and these magicians can regularly perform the feats, not in a hit or miss "maybe it will bend" manner as Geller does.

And....

When Uri appeared on the Johnny Carson show, he COULD NOT do anything! Johnny Carson had taken the precaution before the show to not allow Uri or any of Uri's associates access to any of the items to be used. So during the show, Uri did nothing other than perform a non-performance! It was somewhat embarrassing for Uri to say the least!

Things like this lead people to become skeptical about claims of unusual powers.

Now I am not saying that anyone who claims something new or unsual or who has a personal experience is a phoney or fake! Just that the people who are fakes make it difficult for the people who are honest to be believed.

--VM44 (Who would like to see auras like Mulan does!)

• VM44
    VM44

From an interview with Uri Geller,

He described the greatest mysteries of his career, like the time he was transported by molecular disintegration 36 miles from the pavement outside Bloomingdales, crash-landing through the conservatory of his then mentor, one Andrija Puharich.
    "This was the most mind-shattering event of my life. But it happened and I am not going to back away from it ."

When a person starts saying things like that, what can you do?

--VM44

• sens
    sens
    was transported by molecular disintegration

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• greatteacher
    greatteacher

Just a comment on the spatting between Little Toe and Nathan:

It reminds me of a thread Bradley posted that read something like "Are people just stupid?"

On that thread I posted a lot of comments and called people stupid for believing in god (spirits, ghosts, and other bull shit) and when I did people jumped all over me (and especially Bradley) as if there is some sort of internet etiquette we must follow.

Little Toe, you seem like a genuinely nice person, and that's great, but some people aren't. I'm not. I insult people and tell them what I think without reservation. Maybe it's because I'm from Brighton Beach, Brooklyn (where everybody is rude) or maybe it's just because I'm a real asshole. Nonetheless, I think it is ridiculous that people tell me to be polite. We're on the internet, typing.

Nathan (whom I agree with on almost everything) is egocentric because he's intelligent. He has broken free from the falsely constructed immutable boundaries that inhibit many people from being "rude" or as I like to put it "human."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm from Brighton Beach, Brooklyn

Cool. I'm from Queens. You know what they say about New Yorkers.

I would suggest a re-count of the specific, individually directed invectives. Where's Katherine Harris? She's fair, and she knows how to treat a hanging chad.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

GT:

I insult people and tell them what I think without reservation. Maybe it's because I'm from Brighton Beach, Brooklyn (where everybody is rude) or maybe it's just because I'm a real asshole. Nonetheless, I think it is ridiculous that people tell me to be polite. We're on the internet, typing.

Ok, maybe it's just a cultural thing, but I still find it relatively offensive.
    May I ask - do you find it as easy to take, as you do to give?

Nathan:
    What's the matter - demanding a recount because you feel you've been out-insulted, huh? Ya weaselly maggot!!!

Believe it or not, I really do like ya

• Flash
    Flash

"...Transported by molecular disintegration..."

People used to laugh at the thought of space travel.

Now humans have been on the Moon and are touching Mars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit