JEHOVAH

by minimus 81 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Who??? *puzzled look*

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Gumby: the latin forms "Jahoua" or "Jehoua" which eventually led to the classical spelling "Jehovah" did arise around the tenth century, that is, shortly after the work of the Jewish Massoretes on the Hebrew text. This vowel-pointing (known as "perpetual qere'") was to serve as a reminder to the Jewish reader that he should read "Adonaï" (= Lord) or "Elohim" (= God) instead of Yhwh. The latin Christian scholars very probably mistook this as a clue to the pronunciation of Yhwh, which it was not intended to be.

From older (mostly Greek) witnesses, including some magical papyrii (when forbidden in orthodox practice the name was used in a magical way), the evidence points to an original reading as "Yaho" or "Yahweh".

About the current Bible translations, I wrote about the Spanish and Portuguese Bibles still using "Jehova", but I forgot to say that most French Catholic and non-confessional versions use "Yahweh" consistently in the Old Testament.

• Faraon
    Faraon

Actually, I prefer the English pronunciation of Yaweh when talking to Spanish-speakers.

I feign ignorance and a little halo appears over my head. The reason?

It sounds like the Mexican slang "ya, guey" (The word "guey" should have a dieresis on the "u" so that it is pronounced, but I don't know how to type it - it is a corruption of the word "buey", which means ox, a castrated bull)

In normal Spanish it would be translated "already, ox"

The connotation would be "Stop it, you withour testicles, who lets his wife have sex with other men"

• bigboi
    bigboi
    Every JW knows that the proper procunciation is Jehover

I always thought it was Geehovah!

• Maverick
    Maverick

Very well said. Alan put it perfectly! Maverick

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Faraon: very interesting when you think of the old representation of the god Yhwh as a bull (as reflected in the so-called Solomon's temple or in the story of the golden calves)

• Faraon
    Faraon

Narkissos,

Yeah, but in Spanish it refers to a castrated bull, one without testicles. It is a low class word to use in Mexico.

• minimus
    minimus

You know, one thing I've never appreciated is that some people think it's cute to speak of "Jehovah" in other forms such as "Jehoober" or "Jovie". If a Witness is perusing this board and sees how some simply make fun of the "name", they will most likely be turned off by what is said here.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

It reminds me of the scene in Life Of Brian where everybody was trying to stone the Head Pharisee for saying Jehovah and he would say I CAN JEHOVAH!

Why dont Puerto Rican people ever name their kids Jehovah but always name them Jesus?

• archangel01
    archangel01

Jesus never used it. Is it possible that, to God himself, the importance of his name is not to be found in its exact spelling or pronunciation, but in the meaning and reverence which it commands?

I tell Jw's how about using Father (ABBA) or Lord or Yahweh or Yah or God etc etc.

The name Jehovah came from a Catholic Monk in the 12 cen.

Don't Drink The KoolAid!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit