Banned and Censored on Princes' web-site ( NPG Music Club )

by mah319 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Morisco
    Morisco

mah319,

Prince came to the Jehovah's Witnesses through Larry Graham, the infamous Sly & the Family Stone bassist who has been a witness for quite a while. The two started working together in the early 1990's when Graham, true to his form, began witnessing to Prince. Graham had been doing this for some time (and was subsequently signed to Prince's Label), and Prince began to accept the witness teachings little by little. The culmination of all this came together when Prince released a song called Stauros, a reference to the Greek word that the witnesses believe proves that Jesus Christ died on an upright torture stake, not a cross. When he was asked to explain Stauros on a special that featured Graham and Chaka Khan by Comedian Sinbad on BET (Black Entertainment Television), Prince, who at that time didn't fully understand the concept of Stauros himself, directed Larry Graham to explain the concept behind the song. If you remember also, Larry Graham's wife appeared on the show as well.

An issue of People magazine about two years ago which featured an article on Prince showed a picture of him reclining on a couch in plain view reading The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. Prince also released a video that clearly shows individuals witnessing, as well as copies of some of the Society's publications in plain view. All this right before the supposedly 'big' announcement came.

When I first cracked this story to some NPG chatrooms in 1998, I got attacked like a Pitbull by Prince fans who stated how dare I suggest that Prince was becomming a Witness. One guy even stated that I was wrong and that Larry Graham was a Seven-Day Adventist! Unfortunately, what they didn't know is that I knew all these things on a personal level from working with people who worked with Prince as a Flamenco/Classical session guitarist who did work at Prince's studio Paisley Park. Also, being raised in the religion myself from birth to age 23. When you're in the religion that long, you pick up on these things faster than other people.

How many people out there know that Jazz guitar great George Benson is a witness? He recorded most of his That's Right album at Paisley Park and probably witnessed to Prince then too. There is a wide range of people in the entertainment industry who either grew up with the witnesses, have family members who are witnesses, or are witnesses themselves. A few come to mind: rappers Ja Rule & Xzibit grew up witnesses, the Wayans comedy family, George Benson, Prince, Larry Graham, the mother and sister of actor Billy Dee Williams, the Jackson family (Michael's mother and sister Rebbie) and even (not related to this topic) United States President Dwight Eisenhower.

For the most part witnesses are highly discouraged from seeking any kind of career in the entertainment industry. The Society feels that a career in the entertainment industry draws too much attention to yourself, opens yourself up to idol worship, opens you up to way too much temptation, opens you up to missing a lot of meetings, and most important, opens you up to way too much worldly association. Look at all the hassle Michael Jackson went through.

You will be suprised how many 'witnesses' secretly want to be a part of the music industry. I went to the memorial two years ago, and got approached afterwards by a witness guy holding a Bad Brains CD, asking me for an autograph (IN the Kingdom Hall!!). He thought I was Dr. Know, the lead guitarist in that band! For all the music heads out there, Bad Brains is an African-American punk-metal band out of Washington, D.C. that witness parents would definitely NOT allow their kids to listen to! I also know Techno DJ's, Classical musicians, Flamenco musicians, R n' B singers, Jazz artists, Country artists, ect. who either attended the meetings, attend them now, have witness family members, and are even witnesses themselves contemplating whether to leave the organization or leave the entertainment industry. Choices, choices. For those still in the organization, go to some of these social gatherings the witnesses have and take a look at the talent flowing from those brothers and sisters. Believe me, you'll look like a deer caught in the headlights.

Let's hope Prince continues to study the organization & it's history, and come to a much more informed opinion of the organization than he does now.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Wow, interesting post, Morisco..welcome to the forum!

• Morisco
    Morisco

You're welcome nilfun. Oh, I almost forgot, the late Tejano music superstar Selena grew up a witness in Corpus Christi, Texas. Her funeral in 1995 was officiated by a witness elder. Some friends of mine in Texas actually met her parents at an assembly in Houston in 1999. Abraham Quintanilla (Selena's father) is still in the music business-he runs a Mexican music label and his son A.B. Quintanilla III (Selena's brother and the author of most of her hits) has his own group and still produces. The guy can play a bass.

Good point, Kilroy 2. What the society is going to do is get Prince to give them lots of money to place in their coffers; (George Benson stated in JET magazine that he gives a lot of money to the Society each year) the Society has a ton-load of litigation comming their way, and they will need every penny they can get, considering the many guilty verdicts that will be on the way in the many sexual abuse cases facing them, as well as huge monetary payoff demand by judges around the world. The Society will then temporarily forgive their members who are in the entertainment industry long enough for them to get them to chuck over tons of money, then put out an article in OUR KINGDOM MINISTRY saying that for witnesses not to have anything to do with the entertainment industry at all is 'meat in due season....'

You've gotta love these people. Smart. Very smart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit