Someone is hurting

by donkey 54 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{{Bridget}}}

Anyone suffering from depression and/or any type of health issues needs medical attention from trained professionals.

Too many times people come on this board and ask for advice and/or look for help....too many times they are given home remedies etc and told to just *talk* about it. That doesn't really work on a DB does it? It works for getting information on 1975 and on Fred Franz, but not quite on how to get over the emotional pain of being raised in a cult.

Bridget was advised to see a doctor and/or professional *over there*...after getting a few cyber hugs.

HS said:

To any suffering depression and struggling with deep emotional issues, please learn that these Boards are not here as a substitute for needed help and therapy. As a matter of fact they could seriously add to your problems.

That needs to be reiterated to every poster and should be a disclaimer on this type of board. While many people come here for healing, many do come with emotional issues that only a professional could hope to help heal.

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

There's more going on with the whole picture here with SP. I have supported her with her issues over the past year. I encouraged her to different resources. I realize I needed to step back because she made choices in not taking care of herself.

Old Crow

• shera
    shera

Hope your ok Stinky,get better,k?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Well yeah teenyuck, I don't really see this site as being about a substitute for seeing a therapist. I've encouraged people time and again to do just that. I don't hear anyone advocating this discussion board, or any other for that matter, as being a substitute for a mental health professional.

I don't know the extent of Bridget's situation. I hope she does seek help. In my recovery it would have been impossible for me to get over my family's toxic dysfunction and abuse without it. But I will say I would have loved to have had this resource, it would have helped my self-esteem just to know that my elders lied when they said I was the only one who complained about incest and sexual abuse. It would have been wonderful to read the truth about The Truth. That would have helped me resolve my struggles with the Witnesses. I could have gotten over leaving the organization sooner.

I realize this is not Bridget's situation, and I don't mean to suggest that everyone is like me (God help them if they are !) but I do think it is fair to say that there are a number of people who have issues leaving the organization. If I, or anyone else, can help someone like then I want to. Is that a substitute? No, I'm trying to give something back to people that have helped me. But I do think it is unfair to characterize this board as trying to substitute for therapy. Is it wrong to be kind, or empathetic? If I listen to someone pour out their troubles, does that mean I am trying to take the place of a psychologist? I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with this idea.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I guess I wasn't very clear...I totally agree that this is the whole idea behind a DB, obviously....

If I, or anyone else, can help someone like then I want to. Is that a substitute? No, I'm trying to give something back to people that have helped me. But I do think it is unfair to characterize this board as trying to substitute for therapy. Is it wrong to be kind, or empathetic? If I listen to someone pour out their troubles, does that mean I am trying to take the place of a psychologist? I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with this idea

I think in the end, there is not enough encouragement to see a psychologist/psychiatrist here. I don't know if it is a JW thing, however, I cannot recall seeing this idea pushed very much. And there are some *off the wall* people here. People talk about seeing the doctor and getting Prozac for the depression, however, the overall impression I personally get is that *we* are afraid to tell people to just go see a therapist. Someone who can delve into the whys of certain behaviors; not just the symptoms and give you a pill to make the symptoms go away for a little while. I hope that makes sense.

Maybe it is not politically correct. I really don't know. Sometimes all someone wants to do is vent. If they have been on the board and you know them, sometimes you can tell. However, sometimes you cannot. Frankly, I would like to tell everyone to go see a therapist. How much could it hurt? At the very least you might find out who your inner rock star is and what you really wanted to do in life!

• shamus
    shamus

SP,

I hope that you're getting the rest that you need. Don't be afraid to seek professional help, if that's what you need.

Your life has so much more potential than a message board. You know that. I know that you have lots of friends here, and they care for you a lot. Feel better, and come back, if that's what you decide to do. A break sounds like just what you need.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I sure hope Stinky comes around to see this.....

I love ya babe!!! You Rawk!!! Hang in their sweetie, what doesnt crush your spine, puncture your lung, make you bleed internally, and cause you die a slow painful death......... MAKES YOU STRONGER :)

*muah*

Get back here soon. I miss you

p.s. remember fighting online is like the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a freakin retard

not you, other people

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    p.s. remember fighting online is like the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a freakin retard

booyah. (as a mother to a special olympics participant).

• Swan
    Swan

Dear Bridget,

I am so sorry this has happened to you. As someone who has also experienced deep depression, I really feel for you. The mental anguish at times like this is excruciating, and insensitive comments by others only feel like savage kicks when you are already down.

Take heart that many who have been in the same place, and even some who have never suffered deep depression, feel great empathy for you. Some people, regardless of healthiness, just have empathy for the suffering of others. Some people will never get it. Focus on those who are empathetic; ignore the others.

Hoping you get well soon,
    Tammy

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Sorry Pettygrudger. I didnt mean to be insensitive, only to be a smart-ass. Open mouth insert foot I suppose.

My appologies to you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit