"Nervous Breakdown"

by StinkyPantz 89 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MrMoe
    MrMoe
    Main > People > ShortStuff

What is a nervous breakdown?
    In the Middle Ages, it was called melancholia. In the early 1900s, it was known as neurasthenia. From the 1930s to about 1970, it was known as a nervous breakdown. "Nervous breakdown" is a term that the public uses to characterize a range of mental illnesses, but generally it describes the experience of "snapping" under immense pressure, mental collapse or mental and physical exhaustion.

"Nervous breakdown" is not a clinical term. There is no psychiatric definition of a nervous breakdown, and it has nothing to do with nerves. "Nervous breakdown" is an inexact and unscientific term that is no longer used in psychiatry. Much as modern medicine breaks down diseases into more specific definitions (not just "cancer," but "stage 1 ovarian cancer"), modern psychiatry is breaking the term "nervous breakdown" into more precise diagnoses.

The diagnosis that most closely resembles what the public calls a nervous breakdown is major depression. Depressive episodes may be caused by genetic and biological factors and are often triggered by social and environmental circumstances. Depression is defined as the "loss of interest or pleasure in nearly all activities" and "sustained fatigue without physical exertion." Depression is characterized by a lack of energy and motivation along with feelings of guilt or hopelessness. It is often brought on by stressful situations, such as relationship difficulties, health problems, the aftermath of an accident or the death of a loved one.

The mental illness known as a "nervous breakdown" may also be something like panic attacks, schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder or acute stress disorder.

Surveys show that about one-third of Americans feel on the verge of a nervous breakdown at some point. Studies estimate that 50-million Americans suffer some form of mental illness in their lifetime.

Depression is treated through medication and psychiatric counseling.

Here are some interesting links:

• Prisca
    Prisca

Simon,

What you said to Stinky was cruel and deliberately hurtful.

You claim this board is one for support, yet when one of our most interesting and intelligent members makes a cry for support, you dismiss her feelings with as much regard as what one would have for a speck of dust.

Stinky does not deserve the treatment you have given her over the past few months. I know you see both of us as trouble-makers, but I really think that is because of your own insecurities, unable to deal with women who are out-spoken and intelligent. In part, the JWism of your life is to blame, but it is also up to you to overcome your prejudices and learn to treat people with empathy and respect.

I hope that you apologise to Stinky for your unkind comments, and more importantly, learn some compassion and understanding of people, so that you treat people in a more humane way.

• riz
    riz

shazam!!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Prisca,

You seem to have read something into Simon's comments:

You didn't say that you were having one SPm just what the symptoms were and how you would know.

If you have to ask then you are most likely not having one. Your friends would know instead so you should as any offline friends you may have.

Whether your interpretation is accurate or not does not justify your shouting attack. SP is my friend too, and yet I agree that asking her offline friends would be best if she had personal concerns. If she does ask I hope she accepts their advise. Meanwhile perhaps you owe someone an apology as well. Lets just keep things peaceful, can't we? Steve
  • Prisca
    Prisca

Well, J2L, how do you interpret Simon's comments, not just on this thread but Donkey's "Sombody's Hurting" thread as well?

• Simon
    Simon

Prisca

Learn to read.

You don't have to go out of your way to put a negative interpretation on everything I write. How would you feel if I did the same to you? I think you have posted plenty more stuff that could be interpreted that way.

I did not post anything critical or insulting - just factual and useful. You should try it one day. The batteries for your alternate reality must be running out now.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I really hope you don't think I am blasting you Simon or trying to start trouble, I don't think Donkey is either. I feel bad for SP, to be worried you are suffering from a nervous breakdown has got to be terrifying. Your comment shocked me and I don't think you yourself realize how it came across, perhaps your comment was misunderstood? Don't you feel bad for her?

I know your purpose of this board and the more serious moderation is a result of your wanting to help people, and I know SP is in the limelight of the flames, but shouldn't that be a hint she is emotional? Please don't become hardened or judge her on past actions. I think you feel like people here gang up on you, and I for one do not. Seeign the good in everyone isn't an easy task, but SP is a good kid who is going throug ha lot right now. I don't care about her past, all I care about is that she is upset, and I know you care, too, or you wouldn't be posting here when you are on vacation.

• logansrun
    logansrun

You can get through this Bridgette.

(((((SP)))))

Love,

Bradley

• Satanus
    Satanus

*Sigh* Stinky causes problems again.

SS

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I think Simon meant that you won't always know if you are having a nervous breakdown but your friends might. I don't think Simon meant to do anything but help in his own way.

Having been through a meltdown myself from too much stress, when I was still in the org. I will say though, that often times you do know something is terribly wrong because you will feel "like you are going crazy" and you will not be able to cope with the slightest demands. Putting your feet over the edge of the bed to touch the floor will seem overwhelming. It's something that will last, too. It won't go away in a few hours or days without help. A nervous breakdown is serious and profound. It's not just blues or anxiety or depression even, it's those three to the 100th power. If you find yourself sliding in this direction then please get some help even it's only through a support group, possibly through your local mental health department.

Heather

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit