How many have left the WTS and joined another church/group?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

The above statement may be brash, but it is not at all arrogant

Sixofnine: I don't see this as a brash or arrogant statement. Just an honest one. I know where you are coming from.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Six:

The history of churches disgust me.

The comment above is the only one that I agree with you on (but I wholeheartedly agree with it). Setting aside the arguable assumption that there is a God and it's possible for someone to "connect", I'll explain... You say that those with a connection don't need it. I disagree. There may be plenty of people who also need it, making it appear inconsistent, but your comment is kind of elevating those that lay that claim. Most who lay that claim are humbled by it, and most were in dire need (IMHO). Further, most of the churches I have attended in Britain have been led by one's who would lay the claim, but I can't think of a single bully amongst them.
    The whole point of communal worship is augmenting spirituality, incitement to love, and encouragement (a la Heb.10:24, 25 - not to be confused with the WTS slant of "you must attend five meetings a week, or bust"). Btw, I'm getting a real bad impression of churches Stateside, from what's on this board. The several that I attended there were lovely.
    This does still leave us with the "inconsistency" issue, but that's a theme for another thread.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I have been attending the Temple of Vishtupin Rashpannali Therabenji for about three months now.

Bradley

hehe....j/k

• logansrun
    logansrun

I have been attending the Temple of Vishtupin Rashpannali Therabenji for about three months now.

Bradley

hehe....j/k

• suzi_creamcheez
    suzi_creamcheez

I wish i did believe in God or Jesus or some higher power. I can't stand AA or NA because they were too much like the WT (long boring meetings, endless books and pamphlets to study, self-righteous people giving testimonials). That's the closest I've come to joining a church/group. I'm not much of a "joiner," must be that isolationist WT mentality.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I just left the org recently and ALREADY my sister is trying to get me back in the Catholic church!!!

I can't see myself involved in any religion again.

Walter

Ontario District Overbeer

• tonyend
    tonyend

My experience is similar to Gordy's. After reading Franz's C of C and ISOCF I figured out that the uneasy feeling I've had attending the hall all those years was because of the Orwellian way in which the society was structured. I began meeting with Bible Students and there's such a contrast to going to the Hall in that there's freedom of thought and expression unlike the hall. There's no pressure to always do more, make all the meetings, answer, go door to door, etc. There's no dogmatic belief that they're right about everything and that you have to believe everything they say. Do I believe everything they say? No. But the fact that things can be discussed openly without fear of loosing some "priveledge" or being labled a troublemaker is wonderful. That's something that's feared in the KH which is why the elders have asked me not to discuss the fact that I attend another church with anyone in the congregation (I'm not DF'd or DA'd but am now "inactive" from their perspective).

• Gordy
    Gordy

Having read all the posts on this section. It seems to me why the hell do most of us post on here.

Those who have come out of the JW's have either

1) turn from religion completly. But still write extensively about it.

2) return to what they were before they became JW's. Then complain about it.

3) turn against the Bible, after spending what can have been many years believing it. Its not the WT's fault but the Bible's attitude. So everything in the Bible is now wrong, or fairy stories. Trying to prove everything about the Bible wrong from the Genesis to Revelation. Often written by JW's who have been very hurt by the WT.

4) Becoming self-righteous. The "I know I am right and everyone else is wrong" attitude, whether they have a religion or not. A left over symptom of being a JW??

5) Join another religion anything from Buddhism to Born-again Christian. Because they still feel the need to believe in something, anything!!

I suppose I belong in some way to No.5. I have always had the need to believe in God from a young age. The Bible had always fascinated me. One of the reasons I became a JW. Now come to realise that my faith depends on me not on some organisation. Thats the problem with many I think. We look at the organisation, church or whatever and not at ourselves. I've learnt since becoming a Christian that it all depends on me not the church I now go to, or the Pastor. It all comes down to me alone. I stand not on being the member of some church, but on my belief in Christ. That is how I feel anyway.

Incidently, we have had another ex-JW join my church. He is in his late 20's. In fact I've known him since he was a baby. His whole family are JW's, father an Elder, brothers are Ministerial Servants, sister pioneer, I knew them all well. He left a couple of years ago because he saw the hypocrisy of what was going on in the Kingdom Hall. Since then he has been searching for somewhere or something. Read many books on other faiths etc. Came to a tent mission the church was holding locally in a park. Where he acceptted Christ in his life.

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

You read my mind Stacey Smith. My sentiment exactly. I used to cringe at the site of churches because they were part of Babylon the Great. Now I cringe because I do not want to get sucked in.

• Deleted
    Deleted

I joined the Universal Life Church and have a doctorate, it cost less than $100 off the internet. I did it as the ultimate joke, but I have officiated two weddings. I have a terribly jaundiced view of all religion, which is a shame as they are not all like the dubs. I had been thinking about attending a UU church since I heard good things about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit