Johnny Depp Likens U.S. to 'Dumb Puppy'

by closer2fine 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena
    Funny thing about "speaking your mind." It seems it's okay to speak your mind when you are a liberal criticizing the government. But someone who takes issue with your comments/opinion, in essence, disagrees with YOU, is somehow trying to "silence" you. What, is everyone supposed to sit back and "oooh and aahhh" over your comments: silently and passively listen to your voice and opinions as if they represented some clear "truth?"
    Must be nice to be able to use "freedom" of speech both FOR your own personal views and AGAINST any others.

AMEN to that!

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

“Reagan's disease is not recent news. I heard this years ago, when CLINTON was newly-elected.” So that's not "3 presidents later". They announced it because he was showing symptoms and that means he had the disease for quite some time (do a little research).

Do a little research? At what precise time do you feel Reagan became incapable of functioning as a president? You obviously have little sensitivity to people with Alzheimer’s. Simply because they develop the condition later in life does NOT mean that they were incapable of functioning well in whatever job, high profile or otherwise, they held years earlier. It’s a cheap shot. Whether that “gets” to you or doesn’t, it’s not my problem.

“And yes, it was a respectful question - it scared the hell out of me, and I am interested in other people's takes on this. Especially Americans cause it is your country and you would have (one would think) the most informed opinions.”

Informed decisions doesn’t have to involve age discrimination. And, sorry I didn’t see the “respect” in your “honest” question. Let’s see, your asking me, as an American, whether I wasn’t riddled with fear and terror that an old man had his hand on the world’s destruct button?.” My answer? No, not at all.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

“But I was one of those right-wing conservatives myself - as promoted by ideals in my religion. You know, not charitable, uncaring for other classes of people, and unable to understand the hardships others go through, elitist, always thinking I had the solution for everyone. Thinking everyone had to follow my world view and if they didn't, they were somehow deficient and deserving any hardships they faced. Right-wing in a nutshell. “

Funny, before I read your last senstence, the profile sounded pretty “liberal” to me. Interesting how you see liberals as “charitable, caring, able to understand hardships.” Pretty loaded. Sorta “sheep versus goats” view, if you asked me. During the Reagan years, I was in college, and pretty much influenced by the very liberal views of the college professors. When the topic of a potential draft came up, one liberal professor told us to “tell them you’ve got a date.” Another lamented Reagan’s win, saying “all we women will be back in the kitchen wearing aprons.” I didn’t (and still don’t) understand her (liberal) fear. The cold war ended, the economy improved, the Berlin wall came down, the USSR once and for all was dismantled and no longer post a weapons threat for the first time in decades. I certainly did NOT see the liberal college crowd and faculty demonstrating any great "caring, sensitivity, charity," or in the remotest sense understanding "hardships." The college profs were all weathly, well educated. We students were fresh-faced, supported by parents who could afford to send us there...where exactly was their "understanding of hardships?"

“The difference in me as a liberal is I don't bash them for it. I don't feel a need to punish them or boycott their work.”

The issue I have with such individuals is that they want the best of both worlds. They use their celebrity status to speak out to a WIDE audience. Without that celebrity status their views would hold as much interest as yours or mine. Okay, they want to air their views. But, when not everyone agrees with them, or makes a decision not to buy their products/entertainment, they cry FOUL! " Where’s my freedom of speech?" They’ve got it, for sure. But so does everyone else. If people want to disagree with THEM they are free to. And, if consumers of their products decide not to buy them, that’s THEIR right. That is the only meaningful voice the individual has. Unlike the celebrity.

“It doesn't really harm anybody. But when celebrities start running for major offices with no real qualifications, where their opinions and decisions can actually affect millions of lives, it gets pretty scary. Especially when they are celebrities with a knack for being charming and winning votes, but have no real qualifications for the job.”

Well, it seems to have taken a career politician with all the “right” qualifications to screw up a state. I’m not sure, therefore, that your argument is too compelling.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

So we've gotten away from Depp and deflected the entire thread to bash Reagan. Makes sense.

Let's give depp credit for something he does every day, ok???

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"I read that there isn't even a concept for that in Italy. If you disagree with the government policies, no one would accuse you of being anti-Italian--it would be ridiculous."

Ah hem...but excuse me for pointing out what I believe is the obvious. Exactly how, historically, has Italy been "run"? Do you think their values differ from those of the US? For those who migrated from Italy to the US, do you think they had a particular view of government, which influenced their actions?

If you are looking to Italy for some US benchmark, sorry, I'm not with you.

• Prudence
    Prudence

I believe Johnny when he says his comments were taken out of context , and even they were not, I think he has a right to his opinion as do the rest of us on this planet.

Depp also said: " I am an American. I love my country and have great hopes for it," " It is for this reason that I speak candidly and sometimes critically about it. I have benefited greatly from the freedom that exists in my country and for this I am eternally grateful."

Explaining his comments a day later, Depp had been using a metaphor that was "radically out of context." adding,"There was no anti-American sentiment."

"What I was saying was that,compared to Europe, America is a very young country and we are still growing as a nation," he said. "My deepest apologies to those who were offended, affected, or hurt by this insanley twisted defromation of my words and intent"

Quotes from Los Angeles (Reuters)

Thursday September 4, 2003

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Glad he had the good sense to apologize, as opposed to say, suing the magazine (doubt he'd have a case). In any event, characterizing his homeland as a "dumb puppy" that could agressively bite and hurt others (which metaphor he never denied he used) doesn't leave a whole lot of wiggle room for his "positive" American sentiments.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Let's call a spade a spade.... Depp is backpeddling because he's afraid he might have strangled the goose that laid the golden egg for him and his family.

• Francois
    Francois

Alright Simon, I've been called a "right wing prick from Georgia" so where are you with your blue pencil that you so love to scribble with?

It's obvious that the lurker who finally was provoked into posting his first post consisting of a personal insult has an IQ the same as the number of his posts, but no matter. If you don't delete that post as being totally against your posting policy, you will win hypocrite of the week award. So what you gonna do?

And to the poster who deliver himself of the insult...meet me outside?

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

Oh get over it francoise, I mean really, you insulted libertarians by calling yourself one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit