Johnny Depp Likens U.S. to 'Dumb Puppy'

by closer2fine 69 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai
    I don't understand why actors can't just be actors. Do what you enjoy to do, let us enjoy watching your movies, then shut the hell up!

Why do we care what Johnny Depp thinks of the United States? Are we supposed to really "Wow! What a great point Mr. Depp!" while he is in his drug induced haze?

I don't have a prob. w/ them expressing their opinions, just people paying attention to them as if they were more important, more knowledgeable. I also want to hear the opinions of NASCAR drivers! I'm tired of the drivel, the mindless admiration. I AM an actor, I've done stage, screen, & tv, & a hell of a lot of actors are stupid, vain, really f--ked up people, with very little idea of what goes on in any other realm but the one they exist in. There are also some who are well read, down to earth, incredibly intelligent folk. Acting is easy, it's a monkey's job. But, it does attract people who like to run their mouths, it's almost a prerequisite, so your gonna see a lot more of it

• Englishman
    Englishman

MM, seems a bit harsh to me. Now if he'd said a boisterous puppy that knocked things over sometimes and then licked you to death...

Englishman.

• Swan
    Swan

I imagine that the European audience of that German magazine will eat it up, considering the general opinion of the U.S. in the rest of the world right now. It might actually gain the U.S. a bit more sympathy; everyone likes puppies!

Tammy

• detective
    detective

The united states is a parcel of land. Would he be likening the land mass to a puppy or would he be referring to the constituents? Any reporter worth their salt would have asked him that and let him bury himself accordingly.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I don't look towards actors to gain political insight.

But I still like him as a gay pirate.

• Makena1
    Makena1

"I don't understand why actors can't just be actors. Do what you enjoy to do, let us enjoy watching your movies, then shut the hell up!

I agree. So many of my favorite actors, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, and now Mr. Depp seem to think that because the have nailed down the acting gig,/make the big buck, their opinions on politics and others matters must be heard. I certainly believe they should have the freedom to express themselves, but I am NOT impressed by the way they form their thoughts.

Like the situation with the Dixie Chicks, the public can vote with their wallets and also have a voice.

Mak

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Oh didn't the Dixie Chicks mess up? I mean you do have a right to say anything you want, to anyone about anything. It's our right. But there are consequences for anything you say. You have the right, just be ready to pay the price.

I would have loved to tell a professor how bad he sucks, but............

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I think he was speaking euphemistically.

• detective
    detective

Euphemistically. Yes, but it would have been interesting to see Mr. Depp spell it out. "Americans are like puppies..."

That'd be his fan base he's bashing. Or if it's GWB, he can take the hit like Dixie Chicks did.

That journalist let him get away with a silly generalization. It was a favor of sorts. If Depp had to be more specific, he'd have had to take responsibility in a much more personal sense for those whom he offended. This way he talks about the magical "other"... it's somebody other than me. He's bashing someone other than you.

He's bashing a land mass... hm, okay.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

well, i doubt this is a remark that he sat down and put a lot of thought into. it was just probably an off-the-cuff sort of thing, it's a silly remark and it's sort of silly to pick apart his semantics, i'm sure he assumed that everyone would understand that he was referring to americans and not the actual land mass. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit