Things JWs Say VS What A Normal Person Would Say...

by JW_Rogue 24 Replies latest social humour

• talesin
    talesin

It's one of the things I look back on, and realize what a brainwashing effect they had on me.

I did not believe, but realize now, that the programming had affected me. Although I was successful, I did not have the capability of making a future plan. That is one of the sneaky effects of the cult. We who are born in, need to learn and Believe, KNOW, that we have a future - it is real.

: )

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    they need to say how they enjoyed "time off from work."

LOL I always said this exact same line but never launched into the pagan roots thing. I would just say "Thank you" and then if asked how the holiday was I'd say "Anytime time off is great".

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

We're fading so out of regular touch with most of the old JW "friends", but when we bump into them while we are out, I always ask: "How are your kids? Give us an update!", because their kids grew up with our kids, and I'd genuinely like to know if they've married, had children, relocated, etc

At least 75% of the time I have gotten an answer that began: "Well...........they're not doing anything with The Troof" or "They're not going to meetings,......", and then I have to prod them along that I don't care about all that, I asked HOW ARE YOUR KIDS?

Any "normal person" would just say: "Johnny is great! Got married to so-and-so, got his nursing degree and is working at General Hospital . . . . etc etc"

Irks me.

Doc

• talesin
    talesin
    yes! Even though I had shed the cult persona, I had a hard time planning for the future. Inside, for many years, I could not see a future. Great point.
    That one is one of my wife's favorites, she always talking about how she "hates this system" and how she can't wait for it to end. I understand her somewhat but then I think "What other system has there ever been?" Even if you believe the bible God's system didn't even last one lifetime before it failed.

That's not what I meant. Even tho I no longer believed, and was happy in my 'worldly' life, my ability to make future plans was disabled.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    That's not what I meant. Even tho I no longer believed, and was happy in my 'worldly' life, my ability to make future plans was disabled.

Sorry, I guess sometimes I like to make things about ME instead of listening to what is really being said

• talesin
    talesin

Oh, no, that's okay!

That is why we dialogue - to understand each other. And hell, I do the same thing. It's all good, Rogue. :)

• JeffT
    JeffT

Actual comments after growing my beard out again.

worldly person "That looks good on you." My siblings (also non jw) "That makes you look a lot like Dad."

Elder I ran into in a grocery store "I see you just got back from vacation, you'll have to shave before you come to meeting."

(He didn't know it, but I'd already been to the Hall for the last time.)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Hi Jeff, I like your beard. They wish theirs would grow so nicely!
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

When someone says "what a beautiful day".

Normal person: "Yes it is a beautiful day, lets enjoy it"

JW: There will be days like this forever, we will be able to run around and play with

the snakes, bears, lions, sharks in perfect weather forever and forever every day.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DARKKNIGHT:

With regard to planning for retirement: years back I made the mistake of using an older knowledgeable sister to do my taxes. It was obvious I was contributing to an IRA. She said: "you'll never see that money" (as in the new system will be here). The sister is gone, Da Nu System ain't here - And I'm almost two years retired, so I AM seeing it.

DESIROUSOFCHANGE:

I agree with you that I always found it weird when you asked JWs about their families - and instead of saying "so and so is doing well" like a normal person would, they make the relative sound like a criminal or serial killer because they aren't active in the Witness religion. Then, I meet the persons and see they are fine and doing well.

Witnesses are very unnatural.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit