Would Ray Franz be the President of the Watchtower if........

by IslandWoman 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Although I can't recall whether Ray actually made such a statement, I quite agree with it; i.e., the 1980 witch hunt would not have happened. Knorr was esentially a pragmatist, who was known, when in the company of trusted insiders, often in a social setting, would express ideas at variance with the ``company line" himself. Comments such as ``1914.. I' don't know... we may be right, and I hope we are; the mainthing is to serve Jehovah and let these other things work themselves out;" or in response to a question ``yes, I think a sinning person who prays to Jehovah for forgiven need not involve the elders."

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Bradley,

If they wouldn't have done so I still doubt that he would have ever become President for he was already in an infamous position and wasn't a GB member at the time anyway.

I'm afraid you are missing the point of the thread which is that if the GB arrangement had never been implemented and Knorr had kept his position and authority (which would then mean that the GB would not have been around to put Ray Franz out) could Ray Franz have eventually become the President?

The implications of that are staggering for it might be presumed that Ray Franz would have attempted to turn the Society into a more Christ-like religion. As President with the same authority as Knorr wielded he could have accomplished quite a bit, imo.

IW

• minimus
    minimus

No. He was really not a major player. That's obvious by the circumstances he found himself in. He had no political base. That was obvious.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Minimus,

No. He was really not a major player. That's obvious by the circumstances he found himself in. He had no political base. That was obvious.

The "circumstances he found himself in" were a result of the creation of the Governing Body. Also, a "political base" was much more important in the GB than under Knorr, imo.

Becoming President of the Society does not have to be a political move, it can involve simply love for God and the brotherhood. I am not saying that is what motivated Knorr but it can be a motivation for some.

IW

• logansrun
    logansrun

IW,

Oh, I see your point. I also wonder what the Society would have been like if someone had killed Judge Rutherford before he came to power or what would have happened if the "Miracle Wheat" CT Russell sold actually was miraculous or....or...or...

Hehehe, I'm being a smarmy bastard again. It's so much fun teasin' ya IW.

B

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Bradley,

Hehehe, I'm being a smarmy bastard again.

You are Wrong, not!

IW

• minimus
    minimus

Let me put it another way. Being the president of any corporation takes power. If you're not a power player, you don't get to be in charge. Georege Gangas was considered a loving brother but he didn't have the tools to be president. On the GB, there were major players, minor ones and those in between. I think Ray was in the middle. From his own book, he explains that he would do all sorts of research and no one would recognize it unless his uncle, the oracle expressed support. This would not make a good presidential candidate, imo.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman
    This would not make a good presidential candidate, imo.

You could be right, Minimus.

IW

• teejay
    teejay

If Ray were allowed to accept the presidency on his own terms, I think he would -- not for money, not for prestige or position -- but for the following reason: to write a series of articles that clearly demonstrate a Christian's position relative to other human beings; that Christians are actually breaking the law of god by looking up to a man or group of men.

He would become president of the Watchtower Society only to have the chance to break it up.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Yes, and If my father was a King,

I would be a prince.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit