LANDMARK DECISION - Vicki Boer vs Watchtower Society

by Uzzah 144 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Vicki,

These few lines to tell you that many in Europe, although far away, are near to you in these extremely difficult and stressing moments of your life.

The Canadian’s Court decision could be a beginning of a new way, to unmask publicly and to condemn all the guilty ones involved in “ child abuse”, and as in your case including all those protecting/sheltering etc. the “ child abusers”.

We do hope that similar cases, implicating the WTBS Inc., in the United States, Great Britain, France, and the rest of Europe will all have similar outcome.

What really makes an impact and stands out , in the Judge decision is:

[170] In my opinion…. Furthermore it was a life dominated by the influence of the Jehovah's Witness faith. she had been forbidden to devlop relationships with anyone outside the faith and had been trained to obey the elders without question.

Refusal to follow the direction of the elders was not an option if she wished to stay within her religion; and abandoning her religion would also constitute an abandonment of her family, friends and community, at a time in her life when she was emotionally dependent and fragile. Disobeying the elders was literally inconceivable to the plaintiff at the time.

[171] As I have noted above, the relationship between Ms Boer and the Jehovah's Witness elders was not as dependent as was the case with the children in the residential school in FSM v Clarke supra..

… That is because of the pervasive nature of the Jehovah's Witness religion's presence in teh everyday lives of its adherents, the specific religious requirement of obedience, and the direction to avoid worldly ways and social interactions outside the faith.

[172] The plaintiff's dependence and powerlessness developed as a direct result of the teachings of the defendant Wath Tower. She was brought up in that faith to accept the word of the elders unquestioningly. Independent thought was not permitted. She was taught not to trust anyone outside the faith and she followed that direction.

….The elders were, therefore, not only aware of her dependence and vulnerability, they were responsible for it.

As some others in this Board, already commented, many of us have been waiting for a long time, to have someone from the outside, and above all, a judge, realize what really goes on inside a Jehovah’s Witnesses ‘ congregation with respect to :

****the relationship between elders and the floc k,

and

what the religion itself expects and demands from its members.

I wish all the best for the future to you and your family, and please

keep us informed of any other development, including any form

of help that you may need .

Admiring your courage, your endurance and your keen sense of justice,

in the midst of much pain and sorrow, receive my sincere and

appreciative greetings,

James Charles MacHislopp

• Jesika
    Jesika

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Vicki)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I am so proud of you!!!!!!!! You have done what most of us have dreamed!!!!!!

I know it isn't a perfect ending, but it is opening up for new beginings!!

Chin up girlie!!!! You are one tough cookie!!!!!!

Love lots,

Jes

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Vicki Boer makes the Globe and Mail!!!!! Page A4

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030701/UNATSN01-2//?query=jehovah

If the above link does not work, Go to the www.globeandmail.com and type in Jehovah in the Globe and Mail site's search.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Vicki made the National Post today!!!!!!!

Title - Ontario: Sex-abuse victim wins damages from Jehovah's Witnesses

TORONTO - A woman who accused the Canadian wing of the Jehovah's Witnesses of negligence over their handling of allegations of sexual abuse has received $5,000 in damages. Vicki Boer, 32, says she...

National Post - Wed, Jul 2, 2003 - 57 words

Sorry there is NO url link to this story

I love the title.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

When I searched Infomart I determined that Vicki also made the Saskatoon paper, the Windsor Star and the St. Catherines paper.

Well done people!!!!

http://www.infomart.ca/ln/qs_results.php?qs_query=jehovah

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

So I have now read over the decision at least twice now so I guess I should give my 10 cents worth on this case.

FWIW I offer the following comments:

1) This case is a huge win for all victims in Canada when it comes to the statute of limitations. Her Honour has ruled that the test in this case allows victims to sue the WTS much after the 6 year statute of limitations that Ontario has on the books since people like Vicki did not realize she was wronged by the Watchtower. This helps victims like Mike Moss and others who want to sue these dudes a$$eS off but could have been prevented due to the statute of limitations.

2) A huge win for all victims in Canada when it comes to the negligence of the Watchtower if this corporation allows a child or adult JW to confront an accused in serious mental situations such as in Vicki's case. This case clearly nails the Watchtower's arses to the wall when it comes to "confrontations". Negligence happened for two separate reasons. One, elder Longworth "apparently" did not follow Watchtower policy in the confrontation (actually he did but I will discuss later). And second and most important, the shunning and loss of family, friends and God in such a closed society prevented Vicki Boer from excersizing her own free will in determining whether she wanted to go to the confrontation or not. In other words the Judge stated to the Watchtower that naive children and adults must obey the elders no matter what. That puts the elders in the "superior" role and the regular JW in the "inferior role" during a confrontation and thus, the Watchtower must take steps to protect people like Vicki in these confrontations. Please note that this is for adults as well as minors so the ruling can help adult JW women who say have been raped by an adult JW male as just one example.

It seems there was a serious lack of evidence to prove there was a breach of trust between elders and Vicki presented by plaintiff's counsel (Mr. Marks) to prove a fiduciary relationship existed between the elders and Vicki. So I am really happy that Her Honour ruled on the point of negligence.

3) For over two years now I have heard the Watchtower spin this child abuse story as problems created by elders NOT following the Watchtower's policies. This case showed that it was NOT the elders who were negligent but the Watchtower itself, God's Chosen Organization, who directed and forced Vicki, through elder Longworth to attend the confrontation. And for that, God's Chosen Organization was held negligent by Her Honour. This is stunning and something that people like Bill Bowen can use until Lassie doesn't get booked into a dog show against the Watchtower and confirms exactly what Bill Bowen, Barb Anderson and others have been saying all a long.

4) Charles Marks and Colin Stevenson, the lawyers in the case really got wacked by the Judge. Marks was really hammered for not alerting the Court to calling Penton and Anderson within the appropriate time frame.

I am thoroughly disappointed that Mr. Marks did not provide the Watchtower policy manual (ie. the Flock book) to Her Honour and did not get people like Frank Toth and "shadow man" to explain the written policy to Her Honour. If Her Honour knew what the policy is about, she would have known that Longworth did actually apply the Watchtower's policy in getting the victim (Vicki) to confront the accused (her father). Her Honour would then have applied the superior/inferior roles that she concluded existed (thanks to the shunning done by the Watchtower) and I believe she would have then awarded punitive damages on top of the damages awarded for the negligence. Her Honour might have realized that she was being lied too by the elders.

By not putting into evidence those policies that existed in the Watchtower's literature and not using Frank Toth or shadow man to their fullest really pisses me off.

For this, Charles Marks, Vicki's counsel, should hang his head a little lower from now on.

I can't tell all survivors on this board enough - it is really important that you have a very good working relationship with counsel, that counsel be sharp, counsel researches and knows the jurisprudence and that counsel be very upfront with the positives and negatives of the case. And survivors you really need to set your goals before you start a suit, have to be prepared for the ups and downs of any case and check your lawyer out just as you would if you hired someone to fix your house or work on your car.

5) Costs have yet to be determined. I suspect that costs will be split. Vicki paying for Charles Marks bill and the Watchtower picking up Colin Stevenson's bill. I suspect Her Honour will have to rule on the costs issue at a hearing later this year. The 5,000 dollars was awarded for negligence on the part of Watchtower.

6) I am unclear how the decision will help the people in the USA. There are some interesting discussions on how American law and Canadian law differ when it comes to peoples rights and those of religious rights. In a nutshell, the Judge concluded that Vicki would have lost if this case would have come before a Judge in the USA thanks to the USA consititution. Thankfully in Canada, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms allow the courts to interfere in situations where victims have been harmed by church representatives (ie. freedom of religion is NOT absolute.

7) Vicki lost on failure to report to children's aid and forbidding medical treatment. The reason why was simple. Charles Mark's case just did not have enough proof to show the court that the elders prevented Vicki from seeking professional help. Without enough evidence to present to the Judge (including Watchtower magazine articles etc. which were available ito him if he only used them) to back witnesses like Vicki and Frank Mott-Trille up, Charles Mark's case went into the toilet and the Judge had no choice but to rule the way she did on those issues

8) Vicki was offered 50,000 dollars before the trial started by the WTS with a gag order. She refused because she believed her story needed to be told. Her story was told - to millions of Canadians in newspaper articles, radio broadcasts and of course on TV. Her story along with Mike Moss' will be told again on CBC in a repeated episode that will hopefully be happening shortly. It is very apparent to me that she took a tremendous financial loss in order to help others in Canada (seeing us Canadians have to pay for lawyers up front in most cases). For this I can't thank her, her husband Scott who has bravely stood by her and worked endlessly on this case and of course her little children enough. This family broke the ground for many of you and I am damn proud to know them all.

9) I would like to thank Her Honour for the ruling. She took a tough case and has created new case law that will be used for years to come. She had to put up with bumbling lawyers who never told her what Matt. 18 was all about and admitted the evidence that in my opinion should have been admitted. I know this case could have been a lot better for Vicki but I gotta admit, with the little evidence that Her Honour had before her, Her Honour did about as good a job as one could hope.

10) I think this Court ruling on negligence - which shows the world that these judicial committee meetings place elders in superior roles and JWs do not have a free will to not follow the elders in these meetings - will force the Watchtower to change its policies. The court has now said that the Watchtower cannot have any JW rape or abuse victims of any age confronting their accusers. If they do as currently is the practice as stated in the Flock book, then, the Court will act and find the Watchtower negligent for doing such a nasty act to the victim.

I will be recommending that Bill Bowen publish this 55 page court decision on his web site for all to see. The Silentlambs web site is an excellent database for legal issues relating to child abuse.

Finally, thanks to everyone who worked behind and infront of the camera to bring this together people. All of you, whether knowingly or unknowlying, did a great job in getting this case the attention it has deserved and hopefully protecting little kids from serious future trauma.

hawk

• Scully
    Scully

Hoping this news item will post properly....

Love, Scully

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I haven't yet got my mits on a copy of the decision yet, so can't offer any comments on it, but I thought this paragraph from Hawk's post is worth consideration:

7) Vicki lost on failure to report to children's aid and forbidding medical treatment. The reason why was simple. Charles Mark's case just did not have enough proof to show the court that the elders prevented Vicki from seeking professional help. Without enough evidence to present to the Judge (including Watchtower magazine articles etc. which were available ito him if he only used them) to back witnesses like Vicki and Frank Mott-Trille up, Charles Mark's case went into the toilet and the Judge had no choice but to rule the way she did on those issues

In Mr. Marks' defence, while there should certainly have been more presentation of Watchtower materials, it has to be remembered that he is not an ex-JW, and presumably before this case had the same level of knowledge of the Watchtower as any average member of society i.e. JW's are those odd people who disturb you on Saturday morning and that's it.

And this is something that the x-JW community can think about, imo. In future cases that happen in our area, how can we get the lawyer's up to speed on the Watchtower so they have the knowledge level they need in the courtroom? Could we put together some kind of information packages for them with Watchtower source material? Can we make sure they have some good idea of the Jehovah's Witness culture and how pervasive the Watchtower is in their lives?

Expatbrit

• waiting
    waiting

Hello,

"Get Inside a JW" and "Get Inside the WTBTS" are two different subjects.....as Vicki vs the Elders & the WTBTS proves.

It's been tossed around by several people that it would seem to be a tremendous help to lawyers & JW victims if there were a concise section of a website (several websites and/or clicks) that puts indepth knowledge, research, WT quotes, laws, etc., within quick grasp of the pertinent people.

What the WT says

What the WT really means

How the elders interpret it

How the locals absorb

How & why it hurts people

What the law says

- proof by clicks to different areas of websites - NOT the whole website. Most of us won't read a whole website..........and we're interested.

Lawyers have a penchant for turning things over to paralegals. Now, there's more worldly people involved who don't understand the WT.

If we had a WT primer that victims could take to a lawyer as An Aid to WT Understanding......it would help tremendously, imho.

What some of you might not realize (I didn't) - LAWYERS DON'T LIKE TO ASK AND/OR SHARE (generally). In other words, "I did my research......you do yours." And it hurts JW victims. We can help alleviate in the area of community WT research.

Now..........getting down off my soapbox.

Thanks Hawkaw.......this thread is worth saving.

waiting

• needs_lots
    needs_lots

I have spent the last few days crying about the decision. After reading Hawks point I will hold my head high, and be proud of what i have accomplished. Hawk clearly defined the decision for me, and pointed out things I never realized. THank you hawk. You really are a lifesaver. Iam feeling much more content today. I justed needed to hear that from you. He is right in thanking all of you for your kind words of support. Most of whom i haven't even thank personally.

THANK YOU MY FRIENDS

and I do hope this changes things within the wt so others like Mike Moss are able to follow my lead.

Iam awaiting the posting of the decision so other can comment on it.

vic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit