Evolution is a Fact #36 - Mass Extinctions

by cofty 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Anyone who seeks resolution as to BBC programme giving out factually incorrect information and reporting it as " fact" can not complain to ofcam, as to whether the BBCs content is factually accurate or not.

Yes- you can complain to Ofcom about all issues except impartiality, inaccuracy and some commercial issues. These remain the responsibility of the BBC governors under the communication act 2003.

In my opinion, many BBC science programmers that I have seen give too much attention to minority opinion in debates rather than sticking to scientific facts. If I was a serious scientist I would be baffled why I am debating what is a scientific fact, like the earth is round, with somebody who thinks the earth is flat. Don't get on the the subject of how the BBC addresses the climate issue, but personally I found the debates very unscientific, and one sided to there agenda. But I wont refute your comment they may also be responsible for some of the best natural history and science documentaries in the history of broadcasting. But as for there accuracy, this is the most important. The above is why I gave up watching BBC science debates. But just my opinion.

The Rebel.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Cofty, you started your "O.P " 250 million years ago a plane of motion basalt gashed up from the earths core"

And 250 million years later you present that as a fact?

Please don't think I am bursting out laughing at scientists that claim to pin-point what happened 250 million years ago, but could they be taking liberties with 50 million years here or there? Personally I think knowledge like good wine gets better with age, and maybe in a few decades those scientists may say we were maybe 50 million years out?

This is not a funeral to science and in my mind the absurdity God created the earth. Also I do not believe in Adam and Eve, but some of this elevated intellectual thinking from scientists, in my opinion is pure ego. I would be very " drunk" to accept what a scientist presents as fact what happened " 250 million years ago" with out asking how is this pin-pointed?

So with respect, how does "COFTY" personally clarify his O.P " 250 million years ago a plane of motion gashed up from the earths core? Was it by trusting the knowledge of esteemed scientists you respect?

If so please name those scientists, and why I should respect those scientists opinions?

The Rebel.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

I was so hoping to see a decent counterpoint to ANYTHING in Cofty's OP here. Nada.

Hey Cofty, I know the last mass extinction shows to be caused by an asteroid off the Yucatan peninsula. It would be nice to see the causes listed in the BBC summary.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

The Rebel -

I have here a link to a 2002 paper explaining the answer to your question. However you my need to log in to view that paper.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/296/5574/1846

This is but 1 and there are numerous other papers out there explaining this region and also, very importantly, there are papers explaining radiometric dating methods, their pros and cons and when and where they should be used. If you aren't subscribed to any of these sites then this information is easily accessed through various educational sites as well as from books you can buy...

One of the reasons people like COFTY get annoyed with some posters is their tone of message. In your case you ask a question in a rather snarky way when the information you need is only a few clicks away on the internet. I have studied geology at the undergraduate level and when I think about the amount of information I have had to not only read but to also understand offhand comments like "...but some of this elevated intellectual thinking from scientists, in my opinion is pure ego..." really grates.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ cofty...

Wasn't there a mass extinction demarcating the Triassic and Jurassic periods, too?

• WhatshallIcallmyself
  • The Rebel
    The Rebel

Whatshallicallmyself, thanks for the link.

The way I see it is, there will be wars and calamities and the surface of the earth will soon be uninhabitable. Therefore If scientists can pinpoint what happened 250 million years ago, I hope they can also prevent the progressive and wasteful misuse of our planet today.

The Rebel.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for the links whatsahllicallmyself.

could they be taking liberties with 50 million years here or there? - Rebel

It was 249.4 million years ago +/- 0.5 million

Wasn't there a mass extinction demarcating the Triassic and Jurassic periods, too? - Vidiot

Yes there have been 5 mass extinctions in total.

1. Ordovician-Silurian - 443 million years ago - 85% of sea life such as trilobites, brachiopods and graptolites were wiped out.

2. Late Devonian - 359 million years ago - Three quarters of all species on Earth died out.

3. Permian - 248 million years ago - See OP above

4. Triassic-Jurassic - 200 million years ago - Roughly half of all the species alive at the time became extinct including lots of marine reptiles, some large amphibians, many reef-building creatures and large numbers of cephalopod molluscs.

5. Cretaceous-Tertiary - 65 million years ago - Famed for the death of the dinosaurs. However, many other organisms perished at the end of the Cretaceous including the ammonites, many flowering plants and the last of the pterosaurs.

• Heaven
    Heaven

cofty said: It may be true that human activity is creating a new extinction event

I have read this also. I think Cuba's Special Period is worth examining to see a way to possibly avoid a human created extinction event. I wonder if the collective homo sapien species is able to see the value of working with nature instead of against it, to adjust our rabid energy consumption to a more sustainable one in order to preserve the very system that supports us all.

• cofty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit