Evolution is a Fact #36 - Mass Extinctions

by cofty 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

250 million years ago a plume of molten basalt gushed up from the earth's core. It erupted in an area now known as the Siberian Traps - back then it was part of the supercontinent Pangaea.

A curtain of lava a mile high and hundreds of miles long lit up the sky. The eruption known as a "flood basalt" went on for more than 900,000 years. The total amount of lava ejected over that period would have been enough to cover the entire globe to a depth of 20 feet.

Dust and ash filled the sky blocking out the sun and leading to a volcanic winter. Then as the sky cleared the earth was wrapped by vast quantities of carbon dioxide given off by the burning lava, creating a greenhouse effect. The earth's temperature rose by 5 degrees celsius.

Over the first 40,000 years many land species became extinct.

Next the oceans began to warm up leading to the extinctions of 96% of marine life over less than 10,000 years.

Then came the third phase when methane began to be released from below the ocean adding to the greenhouse effect and lifting the global temperature by a further 5 degrees over the next 40,000 years. What was left of the planet turned to arid desert killing of most the remaining flora and fauna.

Every living thing on earth today is descended from the 4% that survived.

Known as the Permian extinction or sometimes as "The Great Dying" it was one of five mass extinctions in life's turbulent history.

From the perspective of evolution these events are simply part of the story of life's battle for survival. For creationists they pose an impossible dilemma.

Evolution is a Fact 1 - 30 Index...

#31 Ten Questions For Creationists ...
    The basic facts about reality covered so far pose an impossible challenge to creationism.

#32 Sexual Selection
    How female mating preferences led to some of the most remarkable features of living things.

#33 A Tale About Tails
    Human embryology reveals our primate history.

#34 Hiccups and Tadpoles
    How hiccups are a relic of our amphibian ancestors.

#35 Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
    Nature's ability to inflict pain and suffering in the battle for survival.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Makes me wonder what global warming will do throughout this century.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Makes me wonder what global warming will do throughout this century. - VI

It's possible that we are now living at the beginning of a sixth mass extinction.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What i would think would be a typical creationist response. and creationists correct me if I am wrong.

Cofty ,I am playing the devils Advocate here :

Creationist . 250 million years ago ? Oh , ? were you an eye-witness ? Nobody can say with any certainty what happened 1 million years ago let alone 250 million years ago.

Then all the rest you suppose happened is just pure speculation that cannot be substantiated by actual facts ,

What you propose are theories based on evidence you believe supports your view , I would think creationists would have theories that support their view on the available evidence they can rely on .

Just as their are a multitude of Christian beliefs , I guess their could be a multitude of Creationist views also

You list seven major points in Earths cycle with percentages and degrees that cannot be substantiated by facts due to the time involved .

As for your last point :

For creationists they pose an impossible dilemma ?

I wait with baited breath

Of course i stand to be corrected by both sides of this post where need be.

smiddy

• kairos
    kairos

Yellowstone Caldera...

The clock is ticking.

• cofty
    cofty
    Nobody can say with any certainty what happened 1 million years ago let alone 250 million years ago.

Yes they can actually. Volcanic rock can be dated with a very high degree of accuracy using multiple independent methods of radiological dating.

Then all the rest you suppose happened is just pure speculation that cannot be substantiated by actual facts ,

The proof is in the fossil record. All over the globe there is the same sudden transformation from a world teeming with life to the next layer that is almost sterile.

I would think creationists would have theories that support their view on the available evidence they can rely on

Creationists have no theories in the scientific sense of the word. They have lies that they tell one another with absolutely no evidence at all. We are now on number 36 in this series and not one single fact has been offered in rebuttal. Significantly there has been lots and lots of personal attacks and insults.

Just as their are a multitude of Christian beliefs , I guess their could be a multitude of Creationist views also

Yes there is a spectrum of creationism from the utter stupidity of the young earthers advocated by Hooberus and Perry to the more scientific version of Theistic Evolution supported by Ken Miller and Francis Collins. This topic of mass extinctions is a challenge to the theistic evolution. Why would god invent a process that would end up destroying most of life multiple times? Is that the best he could come up with?

You list seven major points in Earths cycle with percentages and degrees that cannot be substantiated by facts due to the time involved

The OP is a very brief introduction to the topic. The facts are all there for anybody who is interested to investigate further.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

If god couldn't protect and sustain 96% of his creation, then how does that bode for the future of a created human race?

If god didn't give a crap about 96% of his creation, then what makes you think he gives a crap about humans?

Food for thought...

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Before conscious life arrived, life and Earth must have been strange .......... C G Jung wrote much on this, how the Earth and life - land animals, birds, fish, ocean animals - existed in a strange way, yet unknown, yet undiscovered, before the dawn of consciousness.

I am not a Creationist, but I believe in a Creator, and then after Creation of "Grundtypen", "Basic Units", they adapted within their boundaries, and natural processes took place as were/are inherent in them. Doesn't destroy my confidence in a Creator and Creation.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    By the way, they had damned good cameras 250 million years ago!
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

Old Hippie, What is consciousness? Are you saying that animals haven't achieved consciousness? Are they not aware that they are, and do they not know the season when death is swiftly approaching? I think they know and feel these things, but can't express their fears and concerns like humans can.

Does the creator only care about life forms that are conscious? What proof is there to support your claim?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit