Evolution is a Fact #36 - Mass Extinctions

by cofty 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Hi Hippie.

So your concept of a creator is that he developed a system where he made certain lifeforms, and then allowed them to evolve into whatever we see today?

Which means that he didn't really have much say or control of how lifeforms turned out.

Which means then, that god is not in control of happenings in the world.

Or is it just animal lifeforms he can't control, and he still has the destiny of this earth in his grip?

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    its not 96% it's 99.9 percent off all species that ever existed have been wiped off the map.
  • Landy
    Landy

Creationists have no theories in the scientific sense of the word. They have lies that they tell one another with absolutely no evidence at all. We are now on number 36 in this series and not one single fact has been offered in rebuttal.

Who needs facts and evidence when there's a dislike button. ;)

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    When you think humankind could become extinct through flooding and famine due to global warming; the antimicrobial resistance crisis or from a meteorite, beliefs of any kind all seem rather pointless.
  • cofty
    cofty
    I am not a Creationist, but I believe in a Creator - Old Hippy

That is exactly like claiming that you are not a trainspotter you just enjoy wearing a bobble hat and standing at the end of platforms writing down locomotive numbers.

Basic Units", they adapted within their boundaries,

The evidence that every living thing evolved from a common ancestor is beyond sensible dispute. Old hippies and rainbow trout all evolved form LUCA. No boundaries.

I think the problem comes from viewing evolution from the wrong end. We look at humans and rainbow trout and think that they could not possibly have anything in common - they are just so different.

Looking at it from the distant past though things look different. Rainbow trout have not had to make too many changes in the journey from our last common fishy ancestor. On the other hand humans have evolved lungs and limbs and a lot more. Some of the evidence for this journey has been covered in this series of posts.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Good thread topic.

Without evolution to provide life with the ability to diversify and spread, extinction-level events would have completely wiped out all life long ago.

We wouldn't be here.

• cofty
    cofty

Here is a summary of all five of the mass extinction events taken from the BBC website...

1. Ordovician-Silurian - 443 million years ago - 85% of sea life such as trilobites, brachiopods and graptolites were wiped out.

2. Late Devonian - 359 million years ago - Three quarters of all species on Earth died out. Much of the sea

3. Permian - 248 million years ago - See OP above

4. Triassic-Jurassic - 200 million years ago - Roughly half of all the species alive at the time became extinct including lots of marine reptiles, some large amphibians, many reef-building creatures and large numbers of cephalopod molluscs.

5. Cretaceous-Tertiary - 65 million years ago - Famed for the death of the dinosaurs. However, many other organisms perished at the end of the Cretaceous including the ammonites, many flowering plants and the last of the pterosaurs.

• cofty
    cofty
    I'm genuinely curious if anybody can reconcile this with the concept of a wise, let alone a loving, creator.
  • Mephis
    Mephis

I don't think one can reconcile it with much other than a creator who kickstarted evolution and then walked away. Although a God who likes making stuff just to destroy it is kind of biblical in its own way. As flies to wanton boys...

• ttdtt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit