The NEW "Bible Teach" book

by Oubliette 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes, Oubliette, even kindergarteners start being taught critical thinking. If I were reading this text, we would need to decide whether this is fiction or non-fiction. Easy enough.

Then we would need to discuss whether this fictional story is realistic fiction or fantasy. As the book continues, it becomes clear that this is fantasy because the animals talk to each other.

And that is a powerful thing to teach a 5 year old: whether something could be true or not. This is how critical thinking begins.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow
    I thought one reason to make everything clear and simple is it is easier to translate it properly and they have to translate into a lot of languages. They might even have their own limited dictionaries and so that they are sure terms they are used have consistent words in the languages they publish in. If they need to get something correct in 30 languages and have proofreaders that are qualified, they have to know english well enough as well as the target language very well. If they know the target language very well but don't know english as well then having simplified english is easier for them. Just my two cents...
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

GrreatTeacher, that is a very informative comparison: Stellaluna to the new Bible Teach book!

Thanks for sharing your research. Really telling.

GT: that is a powerful thing to teach a 5 year old: whether something could be true or not. This is how critical thinking begins.

I totally agree. I wish I'd been taught those skills better when I was a kid. Maybe I would never have joined this cult!

• Ding
    Ding
    Has anyone done a comparative analysis of the previous version and this one? Changes, etc.?
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Ding, that is a great idea. Anyone?
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ding: Has anyone done a comparative analysis of the previous version and this one? Changes, etc.?

Yes. As I have said several times on this thread, I previously analyzed the old Bible Teach book using the same software based analytical tools. It only scored one grade level higher.

Please see my response to Barrold at the top of page 2 of this thread.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

TOH: It's not the "old" TEACH book, oubliette - it's still the one to use.

I know. Apparently you haven't read all of my posts on this thread.

TOH: The new book is for those with limited capacity, and therefore it is no wonder it is written the way it is written.

I know. Apparently you haven't read all of my posts on this thread.

TOH: I don't see how you can critisize [sic] a book for those with learning difficulties to be written in a not-too-academic way.

I know. Apparently you haven't read all of my posts on this thread. Please see my response to Barrold at the top of page 2 of this thread.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Oops, Oubliette, I missed that originally! Maybe I was distracted by that ridiculous movie Elf that my son is watching in the background...

Or maybe I just wasn't reading carefully and need to go back to my desk and use details from the text to answer appropriately while everyone else goes out to recess... :(

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    Page 103
    "Truth 1": Jehovah reveals the future to us.

I know if you called a JW out on that claim, they would say that the "Us" is "anyone reading the scriptures quoted".
    But I wonder how many older brothers or sisters make mention of 1914 or the UN being "Identified", when reading through that summary in a study.

"Truth 1" uses "us" and "we", when claiming knowledge.
    "Truth 2" uses "you" when speaking to the reader.

The implication of privately revealed knowledge seems clear, but remains nicely deniable to anyone even mildly pedantic.
    It's so long since I read any of the publications... I didn't expect to get quite so annoyed giving this one a peek. Foolish me.

It is easy to forget how wormtongued these snakes are.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Most books are designed to help people raise their education level.....

It seems the modern society is happy to keep people dumbed down...

Hmmmm.... Interesting.... Wonder why.....

In the past, it never used to be that way. The older books were not so childish....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit