1,2,3,4 We Don't Want This Bloody War

by Robdar 367 Replies latest social current

• Robdar
    Robdar

You mean their president trying to power play the United States because he has oil deals with the tyrant and knows he'll never see the money they owe him when we change their government for them?

Mayer32,

Gee, I've heard similar rumors regarding our (USA) involvement in Iraq. And wow, we sure are protecting those oil fields over there. When it is all said and done, I will be interested to see just what we do with all that "black gold". I will be more interested to see which families will get richer from it.

Thanks for posting.

Robyn

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    I hope you don't think I was making a joke at the expense of the Vietnam veterans and POW's. I personally would not find it hilarious to be called a commie bastard.

No Seven, I didn't see your comments as joking about the veterans. I just thought I would supply a few facts about her and how veterans feel about such high profile people protesting them. In her case, she went well beyond simple peaceful protest and in my opinion, committed outright treason. We may never know exactly why she wasn't charged with such and prosecuted, but the theories abound.

The phrase "commie bastard" has been so over used, it isn't funny at all. Simply following your conscience and speaking out against what you believe to be wrong does not qulaify one as a "commie bastard." At least, to me. We all have values and a conscience and must be true to them, no matter what they are, provided, it is done within the law. To me, "civil disobediance" is just a sanitized term for "we don't have to follow the law and should be allowed not too." If both sides practiced that, we would have a war here in the streets too.

Btw, I never read about there being any big nationally televised celebrations, parades and parties when you came home. It seemed as if everyone just wanted to forget about it and not deal with it. Well, I'd like to thank you now for going over there and giving your all for your country. Whether or not you believed in what you were doing, I don't know. But at least you didn't run away. {{{{{{Dakota Red}}}}}} Thanks and welcome home.

Very True. The first public welcome home we received was from Ronald Reagan at his first inauguration, close to 8 years after we ended our involvement there. As for not running away, I have to admit, the thought did cross my mind. But in the end, my conscience won out and instead of allowing myself to be drafted, I enlisted. I will always regret that the government gave in to a misled public and we abandoned those people in South Vietnam and let the region fall to communism, but to speak more of that would hijack Robyns thread.

As you may have noticed, I am a bit outspoken about this matter and would like for all who think they need to protest to consider how the protests are received by the troops. Then, if you still feel the need to protest, do it in a manner that remains legal and safe for both sides. Those that turn it into a violent demonstration are no better than the enemy to me, and deserve to be dealt with severely. They end up hurting the cause and giving all from the protest a black eye.

Thank you for the welcome home, Seven. Even at a late date, we appreciate hearing it.

• Robdar
    Robdar

The phrase "commie bastard" has been so over used, it isn't funny at all. Simply following your conscience and speaking out against what you believe to be wrong does not qulaify one as a "commie bastard." At least, to me.

Dakota

I agree it is over used. The taunting we received was so uninspired and boring, it amused me. I just found the whole thing funny. It might have been because I was in a good mood while I felt I was doing my patriotic duty.

would like for all who think they need to protest to consider how the protests are received by the troops.

All my friends and family in the military know how I feel and think. They also know that I love them very much and am worried sick about them. They have not told me that they are hurt or upset or reduced in morale because of my protest. We all have to do what we need to do. All of us would die to defend the others freedoms and liberties. I, however, do not see our rights being threatened by Saddam. Truth be told, many of my military friends do not see a threat either. But they do as they are told.

Then, if you still feel the need to protest, do it in a manner that remains legal and safe for both sides. Those that turn it into a violent demonstration are no better than the enemy to me, and deserve to be dealt with severely. They end up hurting the cause and giving all from the protest a black eye.

Well said, Lew. Thank goodness the protests in KC are peaceful. No violence, foul language or destruction of property is allowed.

I will always regret that the government gave in to a misled public and we abandoned those people in South Vietnam and let the region fall to communism, but to speak more of that would hijack Robyns thread.

You may hijack my thread anytime you wish, Lew.

The first public welcome home we received was from Ronald Reagan at his first inauguration, close to 8 years after we ended our involvement there.

I do not appreciate the way that the Vietnam Vets were treated by this nation and our government. I want you to know that some of us appreciate the positon you and the others were in. Thank you for bravely carrying out your tour of duty. God bless you, Lew.

Love,

Robyn

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Do I want my son to go to war heck no, but I also know that if something isn't done NOW that Saddam will only get worse as he ages, Trujillo in the Dominican Republic became the same way. A man that is facing losing power to something such as death begans to try to dominate everything in his reach.

I sat and cried the first night, I had night terrors for two but you know when soldiers are sitting outside a tent draped in white with their guns laying in the sand out of reach one has to realize just how much these people are wanting to be liberaterd. When soldiers are running towards American soldiers saying "Saddam son of a bitch" you have to see how desperatly these people want to be liberated.

I am angry that at a time in our country when we are under increased terror alert that protesters are diverting the attention of the police because they equate protesting to anarchy. The police need to be looking for our safety not babysitting people that want freedom but deny that to Iraq.

I had thought about protesting but out of respect for the men and women putting their life on the line I chose a wait and see attitude and I'm so glad I did. I also feel that it would be a slap in the face to my son who wants to serve to protect all of you people that think that we get our freedom by sitting back and letting someone pile up WMD. I believe that people that turn against men that are brave enough to join and serve without a draft are nothing more than cowards that wouldn't protect their own.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Yeah, go look at the faces of those happy Iraqi families and tell them they are not worth it.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I believe that people that turn against men that are brave enough to join and serve without a draft are nothing more than cowards that wouldn't protect their own.

Sheila,

If you think it is a cowardly thing to do to risk physical harm and the wrath of total strangers and, in this case, a friend (you), by disagreeing with them, then your definition of a coward is different than mine. I understand that you must support your son. I understand you are emotional at this time. Because of that, I will not hold this insult against you or insult you in return. You have a right to your opinion, same as I do.

I remain your friend,

Robyn

Edited to add: BTW, nobody has turned against our men and women in uniform. I have relatives and friends in uniform. I simply do not support this war. But I do support my friends and family that find themselves involved in this conflict. I love them and wish them God speed. My concern about their safety in a war that I feel is unjustified is one reason I am protesting.

• LB
    LB
    I am angry that at a time in our country when we are under increased terror alert that protesters are diverting the attention of the police because they equate protesting to anarchy. The police need to be looking for our safety not babysitting people that want freedom but deny that to Iraq.

Very good point and I hadn't considered it. In this case the protestors are doing more harm than good. After all during VietNam we weren't concerned about terror. Methinks the protestors need to think rather than make themselves feel good. But then again, it's all about them.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Robdar: My point wasn't directed to you or to your protestingIt was directed more to people unwilling to serve but willing to invalidate the sacrafice of those that serve.

• Robdar
    Robdar

(((((((((SheilaM))))))))))

Love you, girl.

Robyn

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

((((((Robyn))))) Love ya tooo SheilaM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit