2017 Convention Video To Be Shown Regarding The 1975 Failure

by pale.emperor 162 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Finally Left
    Finally Left

I was baptized in 1971. I clearly remember the Society beating the drums of 1975 just like they continue to beat the drums of 1914. I recall our Circuit Overseer telling us at the top of his voice that if we did not believe the end was coming in 1975 we were without faith. I heard it spouted from the stage many times.

This is always their MO. Blame it on the believers and the belief that they cultivated so deftly in them. It appears to me that everything they are doing is total desperation. They can only appeal to emotion because they would not know fact if it jumped up and bit them on the ass. In fact, in my years as an elder it became evident to me that the organization and their minions never cared about facts or the real truth. I believe their end is near.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Notice in the video [ 1:12] Grandpa was going to give the deceased Grandma a kiss. Then he caught himself. Heaven forbid.

" There's a camera on me, I better not kiss her and risk corrupting the youth, or worse, getting lectured and having to shoot the scene again."

No kiss for Grandma and then at the funeral a huge hug for some brother. [1:25] Bad acting.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    It appears to me that everything they are doing is total desperation. (Finally Left)

Completely true, and this video opens my eyes to just how big a problem 1975 must be, even at this point in the Organization's history. I thought it was pretty much over and done with since most of that generation of Witnesses has passed.

But now we have the internet! The newer generations of Witnesses must be learning about 1975 from online research and it's gotten big enough that the Organization feels it needs to be addressed, otherwise it's just opening an old wound.

We can hope the video backfires big time. (Steve2)

And it likely will. Going here is dangerous for the Organization, and it may well only compound the problems with their "Armageddon is just around the corner" credibility.

There was a time when the Organization could get away with blaming someone else for it's false prophecy, mainly the followers, by saying "Some in those days misunderstood," or "Some back then were overzealous." How would anyone know about the original predictions for 1914 or 1925 unless they went back and read the literature from that time, which almost no one ever did. Instead people just believed what modern Witnesses told them.

However, the internet is a big game changer for Watchtower because the past can not be so easily hidden - information is at your fingertips. Plus there are still survivors from the 1975 time period - many of us here - who are happy to talk about it and can point to chapter and verse from the Society's literature to show exactly what Watchtower said, as seen by the many quotes already posted in this thread.

My feeling about the video is that they are trying to bury something (1975) that will rise back up to bite them even harder than it already has.

Tough times for Watchtower, and it's about time.

• waton
    waton

The ongoing 1975 affair showed some jw members at their finest, and wt at it's worst. This theater piece when analyzed, will cement that fact; hopefully all the way to the cemetery.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Several things going on here.

WT loves to rewrite it's own history right before the eyes of it's members.

They're gaslighting apostates, critics and any that have clear memories of that time.

They're cementing the new reality into the minds of the ones who were not around or were too young to remember that time.

They're effectively creating a "mandela effect" ie two versions of reality or IOW pulling a swifty.

Thankyou WT aka Bastards Inc.

• jws
    jws

Why would they bring this up?

While I do think it's not good to bring up past failures, it's probably also a way to again, put their spin on their history and have people remember it their way. We all know that's BS, but you know the faithful will believe their story first.

But the other thing is that even with the overlapping generation, they're going to be bound to time. If they can get away with dates of all kinds (perhaps even 1914), they'll be better off.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I watched the video for the second time and became more pissed off. They don't even mention the year 1975 but everyone knows what year they are talking about. At every circuit assemblies in the early 1970's, there was a big poster off to to side of the stage with the amount of months remaining until the end of 1975.

I believe that the video is designed to squash any conversations about 1975 because "mother" said that we never pointed at the date and only over zealous, out-of-step witnesses drew false conclusions. This will create a fear factor for digging into Watchtower history even though it can easily be proved in their literature.

Sour Grapes

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Why would they bring this up?

You'd think they'd want this to vanish into the past but perhaps ( hopefully) there's been a recent up-tic in the amount of backlash they've been getting from younger ones who have grown up as JW and who've just now learned about the 1975 fiasco.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

After watching the video I think that their attempt is to keep people hanging on and staying just like the Title for the assembly. So know matter what stay the course and don't worry about dates. They have done be this time and time again, after dates they set didn't come true. Their desperate!!

• Steel
    Steel

It's mockery. There is a dark and evil force in this world.

Stuff like this makes even the most devout atheist really question there faith or lack of. It's literally so stupid you can't help but believe there is something supernatural behind it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit