Death is not something to be feared!

by iconoclastic 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Oops! I accidentally hit the like button on the OP!

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic

Cofty,

You think that slapping some words such as “nonsensical question, silly assertion, willful ignorance” you can answer that big question which originally MK Gandhi coined (which literally silenced his atheists friends)
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Why is only Carl Sagan singled out?

Because Carl Sagan was misquoted in the OP. In fact, his statement in this thread was misconstrued in exactly the same way the wts misconstrued his statements in their litteratrash. He clearly was saying there is no afterlife and the cherry picked sentence quoted here, out of context, implied he was stating the opposite.

Why does no one touch Abraham Linclon, Shakespeare, Will Durant?

Of that list, I'm most familiar with Sagan's works, so I knew right off the bat that the OP claim that Sagan believed in an afterlife was incorrect. Were the others you listed misquoted as well?

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic

Viviane,

I experimented with your statement that in science ( from Latin scientia, from scir e‘know’, hence denoting knowldge”) there is no difference between HOW and WHY.

When my daughter (9 year old) came from the school, I asked her:

“How did you go to the school?”

Mummy dropped me in the school as usual on her way to the Hospital (She runs a hospital, and also works there as MD)

“Why do you go to the school?”

You must be kidding, Dad.

“No, I am serious. I just want to know how answer to the question HOW and WHY? And I want to report to one of my friends. Tell me, WHY do you go to school?”

Because I want to build my character and equip myself for a successful career like my mom” (my wife spends bulk of her earnings on three orphanages run by Catholic nuns and is widely respected by the community). You know my school Principal described my mom as an angel in human form.

“You don’t want to become like me?”

Who will waste the best part of life in the sea (I was working in the Merchant Navy)?

Viviane, You see how people differentiate between HOW and WHY

Similarly, science may explain HOW life originated?

But it cannot answer WHY did it appear from non-life only to disappear after evolving into homo sapiens—a wonderful journey started from matter and returns to matter in the end—WHY?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Viviane, You see how people differentiate between HOW and WHY

Of course!

Smilarly, science may explain HOW life originated?

In science, "how" and "why" are the same question, "how". To suggest otherwise is to simply show your lack of science education or understanding.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Icon, I re-read your OP and I still think it is stunning. I have you down as a deist of some sort as you stress REASON.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

as for how and why being the same in science - they are only the same if something can observed or measured and explained and the explanation be testable by an experiment. whatever the results, if the explanation is proved wrong or correct, scientific understanding advances. However most of the universe cannot be observed measured of tested and it here that how and why are not the same question because to get to the HOW scientists have to focus on the WHY. The cannot avoid the WHY.

edit : my tentative offer to this part of the debate - waiting for the scorn to come

• talesin
    talesin

LoveUni

I've faced/beaten death (however you want to look at it) about 1/2 dozen times. I've also been in agonizing pain for years ......... trust me, I do not fear death. It's the suffering that comes before death, that is to be feared, if anything. Ever been tortured? hmmm.

xo

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good point, Tal.

Yes, it's what may come before death that's scary.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    as for how and why being the same in science - they are only the same if something can observed or measured and explained and the explanation be testable by an experiment. whatever the results, if the explanation is proved wrong or correct, scientific understanding advanced
    However most of the universe cannot be observed measured of tested and it here that how and why are not the same question because to get to the HOW scientists have to focus on the WHY. The cannot avoid the WHY.

You prove, like the OP, that you do not understand science or observable reality in any fundamentally true way.

If you're going to be delusional, stick to the delusions, don't comment on science.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit