Death is not something to be feared!

by iconoclastic 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic
    ListlessWitness

Very well put—perfect example of comment! It gave me the feeling of drinking tender coconut water in a desert.

Thanks for that from the bottom of my heart.

• ListlessWitness
    ListlessWitness

Thanks from the bottom of my heart

It is my pleasure Icon. I too am fascinated by the human spirit which seems so indomitable. I wonder if it behaves in a way we don't yet fully understand. I find myself musing about whether it is a unique form of energy which continues after the receptacle which gives it the senses to experience human life expires.

The great thing is Icon, if they're lambasting me for what they consider ignorance, at least they're leaving you alone for a moment my friend 😉

I appreciate your openness, that you are not afraid to be vulnerable by posting here. I find your thoughts interesting and hope to hear more from you. I still don't understand what is considered so harmful about expressing various opinions as we formulate them, to me it is a beautiful thing to maintain a little spirituality even after our trust in religion to provide answers has been so thoroughly abused and betrayed.

To not admit that there are many things about which the human race remains ignorant is...well...ignorant. And then try to shut down others free expression by unkind comments is...well...I guess my Mum always taught me that if you haven't got anything pleasant to say, don't say anything at all.

• carla
    carla

I liked your post very much! I understand it but then I have never been a jw nor an atheist.

How do jw's see Ecc 3:11? particularly "putting eternity..."?

NKJV-

11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.

NIV-

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic
    ListlessWitness

I just try to imitate God who is alike to both theists and atheist. The best description about God I have ever heard is that He is like sun whose concern is to give light (of knowledge) and heat (empowering qualities), and never receives anything back from us. Likewise I too just express myself. How others view it—it is their choice.

Anyhow, thank you for the kind words. I was a JW for some time. After Bible study with them, they told me that I should have a practice of reading the Bible daily; thus I started reading one chapter each daily. When reached Jeremiah, I stopped reading and association with JW—especially where Jeremiah himself admits that much of the Bible is interpolated—Jeremiah 7:22; 8:8.

Then I turned into a person who takes good from all religions, being blind to all their negatives.

• carla
    carla
    "being blind to all their negatives"- a lovely way to live your beliefs.
  • iconoclastic
    iconoclastic
    carla,
    Because your peace is gone when you look at the negative side of others.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Yep, this is a BK cult recruiter again, for sure.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Thoughtful OP, Icon.

I agree that it makes sense to live a 'good life', taking on board the best bits from religion.

But to get involved any further? I think it's best to put the concept of God in a box and place it at the back of the shelf.

The ball is in God's court if he is dissatisfied with this.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hi iconoclastic,

Quoting Jesus, Kahlil Gibran, Abraham Lincoln, Carl Sagan and Will Durant.

Now you're cooking.

• steve2
    steve2

There's an old saying, Religion gives answers that can't be questioned whereas philosophy questions those answers. Your OP does not allow for the philosophical schools of thought on - to use your word - the why of life.

The biggest drawcard of religious thinking is the human need to be consoled, comforted. Unfortunately, this need tends to override critical thinking and beliefs seldom move beyond 'grownup' versions of 'Happily ever after'. There is a lifetimes work involved in defending beliefs that are little more than favorite stories and/or wishful thinking in disguise.

In the face of endless speculation about "Why?", thank goodness another powerful human need is to question "answers".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit