Just had a former elder friend tell me, “This Overlapping generation is crap.

by John Aquila 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• never a jw
    never a jw
    My brother (a well respected Jw for more than 30 years) does not say whether he believes the doctrine of this generation or not, but he claims that he does not expect that the big A will happen in his lifetime. He is 50 and got possibly 30 more years to go. I think what he is saying is that he doesn't believe it, but it doesn't matter. I actually got a confirmation of my inference when he said in a recent conversation "I will never abandon Jehovah". "Jehovah" put in the context of our conversation actually meant the borg.
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Timeline of the big adventist disappointments:---

The Great Disappointment of 1844

The wedding night of Charles and Maria Russell 1879

The 1975 debacle

The failure of the century long Watchtower promise of the "1914 generation"

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"he claims that he does not expect that the big A will happen in his lifetime."

We heard the exact same statement made by a relative. So much for having faith!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

"he claims that he does not expect that the big A will happen in his lifetime."

Well the LEADERS of this religion consistently claim it will, soon in fact.

So if these people don't believe the WT leaders, then why, of why, do they follow them?

Frankly, that's just stupid. It shows a lack of personal integrity and intellectual honesty.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Oubliette

I agree but they just can't give it up. They don't know where else to go. It scares them to leave their comfort zone. It is also there only source of "friends."

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Well the LEADERS of this religion consistently claim it will, soon in fact.

So if these people don't believe the WT leaders, then why, of why, do they follow them?

My wife (in her early 30s) recently said that she fully expects to grow old and die before the new system comes. I asked her why she doesn't believe what they're telling her - that it's going to come soon - and she couldn't answer. I think it's just a defense mechanism. They realize on some level that they're probably wrong and they see that if they profess full faith in the idea that armageddon will come soon they're making a testable prediction that can later be brought back to prove that they were wrong. Instead they prefer to stick to the untestable claims of the cult.

Of course because they don't realize they're in a cult, they're in denial over the fact that they cannot express that they do not agree with a certain teaching. They're also in denial over the fact that if the generation teaching is wrong and every JW currently living will die before armageddon then this teaching is having a huge negative impact on the lives of those who do believe. They refuse to acknowledge that people are failing to save for retirement, not going to college, skipping out on medical care, on and on only because they believe the lie. If they do acknowledge it they make the claim that "everyone is responsible for their own decisions" or something similar. They either blind themselves to the behavior of others or to the fact that the organization has more influence over their lives than it should if it's wrong.

• vinman
    vinman

I just want to defend John's side. No he is not making it up. I was in the same position. Respected by everyone in the circuit and beyond. I was requested to give talks. I was one of those elders that everyone could joke with. Even sisters would joke and tell me to shut up and say I wasn't a "normal" elder, so they could speak to me that way. People would come to me and tell me their real feelings about other wolf-like elders. Then suddenly, vinman vanishes. Everyone in the circuit knows in their heart that I would NEVER leave. Even the elders who attacked me by phone, know that is the case. It has only been 11 months for me. I expect that if certain ones see me ( esp. after watching that broadcast) they will ask. I had told those elders on the phone just prior to the broadcast, that this overlapping generation is just crap. It ia not scriptural and they are just making it up. You know that they must be thinking about what I told them. That broadcast was hideous. I believe that is one of the reasons why no one has come to me YET. Many are afraid that vinman knows something that they are not ready to hear. Vinman does not leave organization without good cause!!!

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    kaik 8 hours ago

My mom does not believe in the overlapping generation

Billy ex Blaze 7 hours ago
    My parents don't believe it either.

Have either of you pointed out that that means the Faithful Slave are false prophets? If they are not accepting this redefined meaning of the word 'generation', any JW is admitting the following was an indisputable false prophecy in Gods name >>

(As a side point, this page has some good scans of old generation teachings):

www.answerjw.com/1914/index.html#p7

the comet

"I can't say this enough..doctrine doesn't matter to people under 30!! They don't know and don't care."

----------

That being the case, part of me feels that they deserve to be in a cult.

But the children they will have, or already have got, do not deserve to be in a cult. They all need to be educated about cults and critical thinking..

This is what really bothers me..

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    OneEyedJoe
    My wife (in her early 30s) recently said that she fully expects to grow old and die before the new system comes. I asked her why she doesn't believe what they're telling her - that it's going to come soon - and she couldn't answer.

Wow, Wow, Wow--------I'm at a loss of words.I don't even know what to think anymore on how to help some of these JWs.

• millie210
    millie210

I think the reason some JWs are "ok" with the end not coming in their lifetime is because they werent signed on for the reward of the paradise to begin with.

Some are idealists who relish the thought of being part of something big and "right". Something that aligns them with God in an intimate way.

They (in their minds and hearts) are floating above that whole reward system so it doesnt make it a deal breaker.

It will come eventually (their belief) and in the meantime they are showing God and the world that they stand for what is right and pure.

There are many "causes" one can adopt. This one is theirs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit